Here's The Official Star Wars: The Force Awakens Theatrical Poster

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm looking at this poster and I'm immensely disappointed, for reasons that would probably get me severely reprimanded for where I to express them. Suffice to say, it's the kind of movie 2015 deserves.
You can't pull out like that, Johnny! Where's your integrity?! Give this poster the hell it deserves!

OT: I thought Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
McElroy said:
OT: I thought Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber.
He ages backwards, like Merlin. This is where he gets his training.
Jack Action said:
The new iStormies are bad enough, but who in the hell came up with the Chrometrooper? And why?
Some Cylons slipped into the shot.

It's a photobomb. They're even smiling.

008Zulu said:
This poster is remarkably spoiler free. Unless you count the planet with a big ass cannon in it.
That's not a planet, that's a battlestation!

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Looks pretty cool honestly. As for that superweapon, it's not a Death Star. From what I've gathered from leaks and whatnot the First Order (the Imps of this trilogy) have a planet-bound hideout called Starkiller Base that can cause a star anywhere in the galaxy to go nova - somehow (so Sun Crusher by way of Galaxy Gun). If you look at the superweapon in the poster you'll see that the bands around the hole have a flat texture to them while the rest has a more rugged look. I think - from the leaks and the poster - that the First Order mined out the planet and turned the whole thing into a superweapon (that red glow could be from the planet's core). So not really "crap, another Death Star", more like "crap, a nuclear installation."

That said, I really wish they hadn't gone the superweapon route first thing. I'd have preferred it if they had kept it as conventional military action with reclaiming lost knowledge and had any superweapons coming in at the end. A prototype superweapon being installed on the First Order's flagship and coming online in the middle of the final battle would have been my preferred method. This new superweapon just shows the First Order is even more stupid than the Empire was - at least if anyone found out where the Death Star was it could move.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hawki said:
Unless you have the Titan. Which is also a giant spherical space station that is the most powerful piece of technology in its setting. Only it creates planets rather than destroys them. But does render an entire race extinct in the process.

Sam Tucker, you monster! XD
You spoiled Titan A.E. for the plebs, you monster!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'll save my judgment for the actual movie, not what little information can be gleaned from images on a poster. I said this one thing when Abrams was first announced as director, if he fucks this up he'll forever be known as Jar Jar Abrams. I'm fairly certain he knows this and understands it. I also have faith in Kasdan so I'm less sure it will be disappointing and more hopeful that it won't. I'm so glad that despite the things I've witnessed and endured, and believe me the things I'm thinking of have nothing to do with something as trivial as a shitty movie plot, I'm not a jaded cynic like some of you.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
There are a couple of things that annoy me with this poster, like why is the stupid looking broad saber sitting against the pole? Am I missing some symbolism here? It just feels cluttered. And even better, why is pole in the centre? Do fans prefer that weapon over the light saber?

Then there's the chrome trooper placed above the title in a moody looking pose. That's impossible to take seriously.

The characters somehow look more bland than usual, not fitting into the crazy dress up universe, nor do they look like they're really into it. Princess Leia just looks worried.

And of course, the death star thing, which I guess is pretty hard to top for an ultimate weapon. Of course, sequels don't have to bring out bigger guns every time because great writing and idea's are things everyone loves.

Oh yeah, and the lens flare is too obvious.

Also, for some reason the subtitle being put in-between the main just looks odd to me.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
So, that one Rebel beside Solo, is that Wedge Antilles?
If so, fuck yeah!
Everyone needs more of the wedge.

Getting back to the poster.
I think it looks nice, it has the whole Star Wars feeling to it.
The antagonist and the protagonist have a neat, little place.

Concerning the actual movie, we shall see, but I'm excited.
EDIT: With the Death Star-like weapon, I bet they just want us to think it is another one... but it is something much worse (as others said). Still, bigger and better, at least they aren't arguing politics like in ep3 (well, hopefully).

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
kael013 said:
Looks pretty cool honestly. As for that superweapon, it's not a Death Star. From what I've gathered from leaks and whatnot the First Order (the Imps of this trilogy) have a planet-bound hideout called Starkiller Base that can cause a star anywhere in the galaxy to go nova - somehow (so Sun Crusher by way of Galaxy Gun). If you look at the superweapon in the poster you'll see that the bands around the hole have a flat texture to them while the rest has a more rugged look. I think - from the leaks and the poster - that the First Order mined out the planet and turned the whole thing into a superweapon (that red glow could be from the planet's core). So not really "crap, another Death Star", more like "crap, a nuclear installation."

That said, I really wish they hadn't gone the superweapon route first thing. I'd have preferred it if they had kept it as conventional military action with reclaiming lost knowledge and had any superweapons coming in at the end. A prototype superweapon being installed on the First Order's flagship and coming online in the middle of the final battle would have been my preferred method. This new superweapon just shows the First Order is even more stupid than the Empire was - at least if anyone found out where the Death Star was it could move.
So... it's almost exactly the same thing as the Centerpoint Station?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Centerpoint_Station

Yeah, it just seems dumb. Once again, they're the galactic empire. Why they don't just focus all their resources on making an overwhelming fleet of conventional warships, along with fighters and bombers on par with the Rebels' is beyond me. When you have a numerical, industrial *and* financial advantage, you don't go and sink all your money into one-off projects. You grind your enemy to dust in a war of attrition.

Palpatine is dead too, which means they have no excuse to go down the same old superweapon route. I'd love to see some smart, up-and-coming Imperial officers who actually want to do a good, practical job. Maybe they're doing it for the right reasons too, believe in the idea of the Empire. Maybe the idea of letting a bunch of looney space-mystics get so powerful again bothers them. But, no, it looks like we're getting another crazy sith-affiliated group whose bright idea is to create yet another crazy, impractical genocide weapon.

If the solution is "Fly a bunch of fighters down into its core while the heroes have a climactic battle with the enemies inside of it, only to escape at the last minute as the whole thing explodes," I'm going to be slightly disappointed :p

I do remain cautiously optimistic though. I'd like for there to be a good, new Star Wars movie. I want this franchise to succeed. As long as it's fun, and gets back to the spirit of the old trilogy, I'm willing to overlook some silliness. Ball's in your court, J.J. Abrams.

11zxcvb11

Apr 13, 2012
after ford's tired and i-don't-give-a-shit performance in ender's game, do we really need to have him in star wars?

i have a feeling this movie will be like star trek into darkness: convoluted bullshit with a ton of nostalgia shout-outs and some nice action scenes. i think j. j. can't play nice with other people's existing universes; when he manages his own ip. he has some nice stories to tell, but drop him in an existing ip and he just doesn't understand what makes it great :(

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Oh boy, another Death Star. Disney is reeeeally pushing the envelope this time. If they wanted a Center Point Station ripoff, they could have just copied Center Point Station and called it something different like with everything else they're 're-imagining'. :p

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I guess I can live with yet another Death Star thing. I will not judge the movie until I see it but I am still unsure if Abrams can pull it off. Every movie I have ever seen from him I have enjoyed in the cinima but 5 mins after it has ended I am thinking about the movie on the way to the car, talking about it with my friends and realise that it was actually kind of stupid.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Recusant said:
(I stopped paying attention when they released pictures of what was clearly a Z-95 and called it an X-wing, then, when people pointed that out, insisted that no, it really was an X-wing)
Yeah, they said that because it's not a Headhunter. It's an X-Wing.

I know, it's weird that they would call the ship what it actually is and not what you think it is, but what can you do?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
rcs619 said:
Jadak said:
eh, I'm just hoping that thing in the upper right isn't suggesting that they're doing yet another plot about a spherical super weapon...
008Zulu said:
This poster is remarkably spoiler free. Unless you count the planet with a big ass cannon in it.
I just rather hope that that isn't indicating that the plot is about having to take down yet another death star...
Oh lord, they're totally going to try and make another Death Star, aren't they?

Okayokayokay, Imperial Navy, huddle up!

Guys. Guys. Listen. The *only* reason you keep losing this war is because you keep building these stupid doomsday weapons. How about this... Take all the resources, all the manpower you'd put into building a 3rd Death Star, and just build a metric shit-ton of Imperial Star Destroyers.

So now you've got the largest space-faring navy the galaxy has ever seen. Next, take one of those rebel X-wings, I *know* you've captured one of them at some point in time. And then, just... build your own. Hell, rip out all of its guts and put them into a new TIE variant if that makes you feel better.

So now you've got the biggest space-faring navy the galaxy has ever seen, along with a numerically superior amount of starfighters that are as good or better than the enemy's. Go crush the rebellion. They've got like 20 warships and most of those are supplied by the Mon Calamari. Get your new doomfleet, burn the Mon Cal shipyards to ash, and there you go.

Problem solved.
Well to be fair, they didn't really have a problem to begin with...

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Fox12 said:
Jesus, they aren't even trying. Another death star?

I'm done, I won't be giving this movie my money, and unless you loved the prequels, you shouldn't either. Because this will be worse by far.
A bit early to declare it worse than the prequels, isn't it? I expect it to be in the range of passable to good.

Then again, as someone who has never been passionate enough about Star Wars to get angry over its ruination, I've had somewhat of a cynical attitude to it from the word go, and as surprising as this might be, it's due to the very thing that a lot of people probably look forward to. You see, with the content of all the trailers, and the insistence on not just using practical effects, but telling us all about how many practical effects they're using, I have a feeling they're feeling the pressure to motorboat the original trilogy rather than push the envelope. Not that practical effects are bad; I'm actually looking forward to seeing them, but it just seems like yet another piece of confirmation that they're feeling the weight of living up to the expectations of original trilogy fans. The inevitable pessimism brought out by the prequels more or less compels them stay as safe as possible, least they doom the whole trilogy with talk of "the prequels 2.0".
I guess what I'm saying is, I expect this film to be a completely by the numbers and middle of the road original trilogy nostalgia-fest.

Still, I think it has pretty good prospects of being better than the prequels. In fact, as controversial as this might be, since I don't really care for Star Wars overall, the prospect of it being better than the original trilogy isn't really all that out there for me.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Looks less like a cannon on the big station thing and more like a massive engine to me. Even if they go for something Death Star like, I don't mind so long as the plot of the film isn't the same as A New hope.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
StormShaun said:
So, that one Rebel beside Solo, is that Wedge Antilles?
If so, fuck yeah!
Everyone needs more of the wedge.
They approached Dennis Lawson (Wedge from the originals) but he turned them down, saying it would "bore" him. I don't know if that means they scrapped the character or they're still going with him but with a different actor. In any case the X-Wing guy I think is meant to be Oscar Isaac, who'd be too young to be playing an aged Wedge in the first place.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fox12 said:
Jesus, they aren't even trying. Another death star?

I'm done, I won't be giving this movie my money, and unless you loved the prequels, you shouldn't either. Because this will be worse by far.
JAY
JAY
AYBRAHMS!

Seriously, why did you hold onto any expectations at all when JJ 'I think I'm Steven Spielberg,' Abrams was put in charge of the new Star Wars movies? The guy hasn't had an original thought in his life, literally every film he's ever made is a re-hash of someone else's with a silly little twist (Godzilla from ground zero's view point, ET is a man eating giant, Khan kills Kirk etc).

I would still like this movie to be good, it looks gorgeous, but I'm not investing anything emotional into a movie headed by JJ Abrams and neither should you.

I quite hope that it's a planet with a thruster rather than a new Death Star, moving the enemy/friendly home world would be much cooler than a Death Star V3.