Here's Why Freddy Krueger's In Mortal Kombat

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think dropping a specific one liner out of a large set of them (like, 30) after a fatality would pretty much be aces for this.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I think Freddy will fit in well, well, in terms of being a brutal, nightmarish (pun intended) serial-killer he will.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's not a surprise when you go blabbing about it all over the interwebs.

Ken_J said:
That explains it, but I think Jason would have been a better choice. Maybe next guest DLC should be a DC character so they can basically say 'This is what we wanted to do'
They wouldn't be able to license any DC characters and show them with a fatality, just like in the last game. It kind of ruins it, though I have to say that DC doesn't fit in particularly well with MK anyway.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
...You want someone violent and brutal? Caim from Drakengard. Please, oh god, let that happen it would be awesome!

OT: Freddy never really appealed much to me but, i guess i can see him fitting here.

Sep 14, 2009
marioman360 said:
You put the old Freddy is some dark lighting and THERE is the face of 1000 pissed bedsheets. .
Can highly agree to this, especially seeing the damn film on accident when I was 4 (my grandma didn't realize it went from smurfs to that, and...I just couldn't look away, I was so enthralled but scared shitless at the same time.)

Fuck freddy kruger as a child, fuck him harddd

OT: While i don't think he belongs in the game, it looks like he can pull some decent rapetastic combos, so I might play him if I ever play the new mortal kombat at a friends.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Unexpected? Sure. Does he belong there? No.

I had a discussion in another thread about this. For the developers, I agree that it's right out of left field and we wouldn't see it coming. Hell, it makes more sense than Kratos. But when you think of it...Freddie shouldn't be in MK for one good reason: The fear

Freddie Kruger's MO is to engender fear and terror into the people he's killing, the more the better. It makes him stronger, whereas people with courage and a strong will have beaten him down. And then, you have some MK character who aren't just unlikely to be afraid, but who can't. Scorpion regularly goes to hell and he is a dead man in a ninja suit. Would he EVER fear the Fred-meister? Heck no.

Points for the unexpected, but that's about it.
Freddy and Scorpion are both Wraiths so overall they're somewhat equally matched

MasterSteef

Mar 3, 2010
I guess its just because I'm a dad, but I just can't condone playing as a child muderer/molester (even if he doesn't do that in the game) like Krueger. I've watched the gameplay trailer multiple times and just can't seem to muster even the tiniest bit of enthusiasm for this DLC Character. In fact, I bought the "Season Pass" for MK on XBL and now I feel a little bit "ripped off" since the 4th Character is now someone who I have no intention of downloading. (Can I get an alternate character or something instead MK team?)

And maybe its just me, but why would anyone root for a serial child molester/murderer character in any piece of fiction anyway? Can someone please explain the appeal of Freddy to me because I am just not getting it (from a parents perspective)

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Lord Beautiful said:
Sorry, but I'm still not feeling it. Kratos felt very right for Mortal Kombat the instant his name came up on the roster. Freddy just doesn't do it for me, though. There's something that doesn't click about seeing Freddy Krueger unload martial arts on a cyborg ninja.
I think of a (fairly recent) cracked.com photoshop contest where someone made a Mortal Kombat character select screen with *I think* Freddy and definitely Jason V. That especially makes me react to the news with a lot of confusion because the photoshop was supposed to be a parody of the game. Now MK is just... accepting the joke, which feels strange, like a horror movie acknowledging one of the Scary Movie's (Except the photoshop wasn't garbage)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
TheDooD said:
FalloutJack said:

I had a discussion in another thread about this. For the developers, I agree that it's right out of left field and we wouldn't see it coming. Hell, it makes more sense than Kratos. But when you think of it...Freddie shouldn't be in MK for one good reason: The fear

Freddie Kruger's MO is to engender fear and terror into the people he's killing, the more the better. It makes him stronger, whereas people with courage and a strong will have beaten him down. And then, you have some MK character who aren't just unlikely to be afraid, but who can't. Scorpion regularly goes to hell and he is a dead man in a ninja suit. Would he EVER fear the Fred-meister? Heck no.

Freddy and Scorpion are both Wraiths so overall they're somewhat equally matched
Gets worse. Freddy only has a real advantage in dreams and Scorpion doesn't dream.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Could never really question the logic of a game based entirely aroung fighting: After you have played Tekken with all it's Giant Panda's and Cute Dragons everything else seems like a letdown though.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Say what you want about Mortal Kombat, between Kratos and Freddy Krueger, they really know how to choose their guest stars!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
FalloutJack said:

This would work, except in freddie films i've seen, it was less about individual fear and more about people needed to know about and fear him for him to be powerful in the slightest.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
don't like it, not buing it. he doesn't fit, he's a horror genre chatracter in a action genre game.