#HetrosexualPrideDay

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Musou Sadie said:
On an even more serious note though, how can one be proud of gender or sexuality? That's nothing you have achieved, nothing you have chosen.
Rather a narrow definition of pride you have there, then. People are proud of things they haven't chosen all the time-- like their families, or their heritage, or the country's football team.

Pride is merely a positive feeling towards a quality you have. That's all. The point of gay pride is not to set people above others, as should be quite obvious; the point is that millions of people have been ostracised, alienated, or disowned them because of their sexuality. People are made to feel shame, when they shouldn't. Pride is trying to make as big a statement as possible that it need not be a negative feeling you have towards yourself and the relationships you can form; it can be a positive, too.

That's all.

Honestly, when people are thrown out of their homes, disowned as children, locked up and forced to try to convert, told they should be ashamed, violently assaulted, or driven to suicide because they're gay, then it's damn important to try to get the message out that there is respect, and positivity, and community out there as well. It can be vital to instil some positive feeling towards your relationships, if so many people are forced to feel negative about it all.

Musou Sadie said:
Why this segregation? How is that equality?
Where's the segregation at gay pride? Loads of straight people attend.

Zacharious-khan said:
I'm glad someone is firing back. It is annoying being told i'm evil due to my sexuality and having that demonization be cuturally acceptable.
Someone told you you were evil because you were straight?

Bollocks.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
CaptainMarvelous said:
Why, they can commit all of them! Do not fear, my friend, we shall all burn in the inferno!

Unless we worship almighty Xenu for the low, low price of $450 a month.
So, is there like a routing number or something? And do I at least get to meet Tom Cruise?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I celebrate August 13 - International Left-Handers' Day. It's a cause I'm passionate about. ;) Everything else is window dressing.
My fellow lefties we must rise up against our oppressors, for too long they've made products with only their lifestyle in mind.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm really curious where all of this supposed straight hate is actually coming from.

See, I'm a (mostly) straight, white, cis, guy, who also happens to spend a lot of time talking with what people in this thread would call "SJWs", or "progressives" since that was already thrown out in scare quotes as if they're something else entirely, who are apparently the primary group that wants to kill off all people like me or something. And something I've noticed? So long as I'm actually a decent human being, they literally don't care what my race or sexual orientation or birth gender are. I have never been threatened for being heterosexual, or white, or a guy. You know what I have been threatened for? Supporting women, and gay people, and trans people. Typically by other straight, white guys.

So fuck heterosexual pride.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Andy Shandy said:
And yes, MAN MONTH does have to be in all capital letters. BECAUSE IT'S MANLY
That's it. I hope you're happy with yourself, because you've left me with no choice. This has to be done.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Finally! A day that can allow me to not be afraid of centuries of dismissal and oppression! I shall celebrate like every other day of pride, by crying in the corner, eating a tub of ice-cream with a credit card while clutching a kitchen knife, watching the shadows of real heterosexuals as they celebrate in slightly less creepy fashion. By carrying on as normal.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
shrekfan246 said:
I'm really curious where all of this supposed straight hate is actually coming from.
Lord, me too. If there is any, it's in extremely low amounts, almost never encountered in everyday life.

I'm pretty damn certain that people have just encountered others using the term "straight guys" in a general manner, or talking about privilege or something, and have come away with the idea that this constitutes hate or "heterophobia". The most trivial rubbish. It's not remotely comparable to the disownment, or the assault, or the harassment that gay people encounter on a much more common basis. That's homophobia. It's mindblowingly common.

And, quite simply because people don't like the idea that others have it worse than them because of something outside of their control, some imagine that "heterophobia" is something comparable in scope and severity. It's just a way to downplay or distract from the suffering of others.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
It's great to see all the SJW's with no senses of humor go nuts over these things. They're so sensitive. That's what you get for applying too much Purell and taking too many antibiotics. You lose the ability to take a joke along with your immune system.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
chocolate pickles said:
Makes perfect sense. If we have gay pride, we definitely deserve straight pride. This is equality in action.
Are you being facetious? Because it kind of comes off like, "If a white guy dies in a fire, then we should set a black guy on fire too so the same thing happened to both races. That's equality;" ignoring the context of those two situations (one being an accident and one a deliberate homicide) to declare them equal.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Silvanus said:
Pride is merely a positive feeling towards a quality you have.
I guess that explains why I don't really 'get' the concept of pride. I can't remember the last time I had a positive feeling towards myself.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
JimB said:
chocolate pickles said:
Makes perfect sense. If we have gay pride, we definitely deserve straight pride. This is equality in action.
Are you being facetious? Because it kind of comes off like, "If a white guy dies in a fire, then we should set a black guy on fire too so the same thing happened to both races. That's equality;" ignoring the context of those two situations (one being an accident and one a deliberate homicide) to declare them equal.
But this isn't people murdering someone to make things equal with the death of another, it's taking pride in something you did nothing to achieve because others take pride in their equivalent that took nothing to achieve. That being your orientation, because like it or not there's nothing anyone's orientation inherently has that makes it worth celebrating. Gay culture I can understand taking pride in, but the very act of being gay? Not so much, same for being straight, or white, or black, or really anything that just requires you to be born to accomplish.

Then again I'm also the type of person who only sees a birthday as an excuse to eat a cake, so take that as you will.
RedRockRun said:
It's great to see all the SJW's with no senses of humor go nuts over these things. They're so sensitive. That's what you get for applying too much Purell and taking too many antibiotics. You lose the ability to take a joke along with your immune system.
Wait, so you're saying people aren't genuinely taking pride in their being straight? /sarcasm

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
If I had known I would have walked about letting everyone I know that I'm a heterosexual and proud, unfortunately I both didn't know and since its my first day of in ages I didn't go out.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zontar said:
JimB said:
chocolate pickles said:
But this isn't people murdering someone to make things equal with the death of another, it's taking pride in something you did nothing to achieve because others take pride in their equivalent that took nothing to achieve. That being your orientation, because like it or not there's nothing anyone's orientation inherently has that makes it worth celebrating. Gay culture I can understand taking pride in, but the very act of being gay? Not so much, same for being straight, or white, or black, or really anything that just requires you to be born to accomplish.

Then again I'm also the type of person who only sees a birthday as an excuse to eat a cake, so take that as you will.
RedRockRun said:
Wait, so you're saying people aren't genuinely taking pride in their being straight? /sarcasm
Well, Gay Pride is more because now we can. Wouldn't fly in the 60s. But after Stonewall, Gay Marriage being federally legal, and all the between, its supposed to be a celebration of that. Not just *being gay* but being able to be openly gay. That said, for a lot of people, Gay Pride days are more about showing off your bondage gear rather than celebrating victories of equality.

Plus its a big fuck you to people who want us to not show it. But I have to watch straight people kiss in virtually everything. Not that I throw a fit about it, beyond that too many things have love stories that aren't needed, straight or gay.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Eh, I don't know. There's still a mild stigma attached to more unusual heterosexual preferences. Not going to get you murdered, or anything, but still, I've gotten some funny looks in the past for saying that the looks I find attractive are short, cute, girls, and that classical beauty doesn't do much for me. Maybe that's just my hometown though.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Okay a lot of people don't seem to be understanding the concept of gay pride.

It's not about being proud of being born gay, like "wow guys I'm so unique and special please validate me". It's about overcoming the societal obstacles that disadvantage gay people. It's about saying "I don't care if you disapprove of it, I am being honest with myself, people want me to feel ashamed for being gay but I refuse". People love to assume that being gay has no consequences in the west, that homophobia is "over" or at least, because it's much worse in other countries it is somehow irrelevant in the west. Bullshit. Straight people don't think twice about holding hands and kissing in public, while gay people are a lot more hesitant.

When there are hate attacks against "the straight community", rights taken away from straight people, "corrective rape" by gay people against straight people, a stigma against straight people that doesn't only exist on shitty blogs by edgy teenagers... only then I might entertain this "straight pride" nonsense. But until then, all I can really see it as is... well... people being butthurt that they can't be the "special snowflakes" they think gay people are.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Dizchu said:
When there are hate attacks against "the straight community", rights taken away from straight people, "corrective rape" by gay people against straight people, a stigma against straight people that doesn't only exist on shitty blogs by edgy teenagers... only then I might entertain this "straight pride" nonsense. But until then, all I can really see it as is... well... people being butthurt that they can't be the "special snowflakes" they think gay people are.
Isn't the hate of gay people mainly amongst idiots? Are you telling me that just because fewer idiots dislike straight people we shouldn't be able to tell them to piss off? That probably isn't what you're saying, but I think it is a valid point. So, gay people should be proud because they're oppressed, or have been, why is it that straight people can't take the opportunity to celebrate? Celebrating being average (yeah, straight is the average, nothing to say hurrah for, but nothing else either.). You seem to be implying that gay people enjoy some special privilege?

EDIT: I seem to have written "gay" several times when in fact I meant to refer to the LGBT(and the other members of the letter group) community, so if anybody wants to be offended about that, go ahead. To the rest of you, sorry.

Zeke63

Jul 10, 2012
The op topic is an absurd suggestion because the concept of hetero and homo as bipolar extremes is a modern creation as we learn from Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality.

No one is 100 percent straight or gay, though people that perceive themselves as hetero really contribute to oppressing everyone else and themselves because of the normalizing nature it instills upon human beings making everyone think of it as a stupid bipolar opposite scenario.

It's really nice to be penetrated but i prefer to be with girls. Pretty sure having something up your ass feels really good to both genders.

Just think about sexuality in so many scenes in game of thrones...people dont percieve gender or sexual orientation in the way we do now except the church of the seven. Medieval european sexuality was much more like a spectrum...which is how it is in real life yet little anyone realizes it.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
shinyelf said:
Isn't the hate of gay people mainly amongst idiots? Are you telling me that just because fewer idiots dislike straight people we shouldn't be able to tell them to piss off? That probably isn't what you're saying, but I think it is a valid point. So, gay people should be proud because they're oppressed, or have been, why is it that straight people can't take the opportunity to celebrate? Celebrating being average (yeah, straight is the average, nothing to say hurrah for, but nothing else either.). You seem to be implying that gay people enjoy some special privilege?
If people make nasty generalisations about straight people you can bet your ass I'll criticise them for doing that (especially if they are straight and should know better). But people try to equate "straight pride" with "gay pride", and all that does is devalue the concept of gay pride. We celebrate heterosexuality all the time, most media caters disproportionately to straight people to the point that featuring gay people is considered controversial. The UK is considered quite progressive, but even they censored gay themes in Steven Universe... for some reason?! I wouldn't call it blatant homophobia, but I would call it an attitude that is exclusionary against gay people. Which is exactly what gay pride is all about, it's about acknowledging one's homosexuality and not feeling ashamed about it.

I wasn't calling that a special privilege, I see a lot of people behave like it is a privilege though. "How come you get a gay pride parade and we don't get a straight pride parade?" I doubt they'd want to live in the sort of parallel universe where straight pride actually is considered necessary. There was a short film about this actually, where straight people were mocked for being "breeders". But it was meant to show homophobia from a heterosexual perspective, not show a dystopian future where being straight is considered sinful.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
shinyelf said:
Dizchu said:

EDIT: I seem to have written "gay" several times when in fact I meant to refer to the LGBT(and the other members of the letter group) community, so if anybody wants to be offended about that, go ahead. To the rest of you, sorry.
First off, I was gonna respond to your other post, but wifi shenanigans and a reboot caused the post to be eaten. Dizchu though made my point better, but not perfectly. LGBT pride events are earned by the discrimination, they're an expression of the necessity of visibility and dispelling ignorance. Your response to what I said to THM, well it was putting words in my mouth, or at least making leaps of logic based on what I said in response to another person's post... I was challenging THM on the point that they jumped into political affiliation, as if being gay is a political stance, or that basic civil rights are negotiable because people on one side of the political spectrum think another group's existence is immoral.

Anyways most people who hate GSM[footnote]Gender and Sexuality Minorities[/footnote] folk aren't idiots, most of them are ignorant, in the absence of any real experience, or education, they default to fear. Then the real scum bags exploit that fear, because those people decided to hate a group for arbitrary reasons. Those people aren't idiots either, they're very savvy manipulators, who use people's lack of understanding to breed hate.

Still pride isn't so much about celebrating being Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, Bisexual, Asexual, Intersex, or whatever else... It's about being visible, about standing up proudly against a culture that tells us to be ashamed of ourselves, it's about making a stand against ignorance and hatred. That's what pride events are about, they're about being proud to be ourselves despite the hatred, shaming, and prejudice. That's also what makes the concept of "straight pride" and "cis pride" absurd and insulting, because cisgender straight folk are accepted by society and permeate every level of culture. Cisgender heterosexual people simply don't need a visibility event, because they're already visible and accepted.