Hewlett Packard Promotes Windows 7 On New PCs

Shalok

May 28, 2012
Not Plagued with technical flaws? It pushed the 8.1 update pretty hard and I was one of the many affected by the balnk black screen error

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
What I'd consider to be a decent compromise would be the idea of designing Windows 9 so that it detects hardware on installation and also offers an option to opt out of the touchscreen-esque controls.

"We've detected Generic Touchscreen Monitor during the install process. Do you want to use Metro as your default layout? Declining will activate icon and context-based features similar to those found in Windows 7. Should you wish to switch to Metro or back to Win7 features at a later date, you'll find the associated option in the Operating System Layout item of the Control Panel."

See? Something like that would be nice and fair. No touchscreen? You still get the option to try it out if you want, but the dialog box would be altered to prioritize the use of Windows 7's feature list instead of Metro's.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I use win7

I can see what they tried to do with win8 - but with things like tables and whatnot, microsoft simply cannot have an OS for everything anymore. They need to make a PC OS, and a tablet/touch screen OS

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I've worked with Windows 8 from other computers and I have to admit I am not impressed with it. I find its interface unintuitive and irritating. My dad got Windows 8 for his laptop and there are moments he calls me to help figure out why he can't access certain things. One example is trying to download a file from Gmail using the Windows 8 interface. I couldn't tell what percentage of the file was done downloading, I couldn't tell if there was a strong Internet connection (he lives out in the boonies), and I couldn't tell where to access it after it downloaded. I had to go to the desktop, open a browser, and access the Gmail account that way to get the email file. Perhaps I'm too use to the older versions but Windows 8 just doesn't fit for me. It's catering way too much to the tablet market that has top notch net speed and not everyone has jumped onto that band wagon for certain reasons. There may be a way to customize Windows 8 to one's specifications but I just don't see it. I also heard that, in order to get Microsoft Office, you have to place either a monthly or yearly subscription. Is this true?

Either way, my next PC or laptop purchase will not have Windows 8. I've worked with a Dell computer for many years but if they won't customize it to my specifications, I'll be signing up with HP for now on.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I wonder how HP pulled that off; Microsoft stopped selling OEM copies of Windows 7 months ago. Surely they didn't threaten them like Dell did back when Vista came out. (For those not in the know: Dell got pissed off that Microsoft had cut them off from Windows XP only six months into Vista's lifespan, because about half their existing models weren't powerful enough to run Vista and would have to be discontinued. So they said "If you don't let us keep buying copies of XP to put on our computers, we're going to do away with Windows altogether and jump ship to Linux." Which is completely laughable and would have been career suicide if they'd done it, but Microsoft were too stupid to call their bluff and gave in.)

Megacherv said:
I like the Win8 start screen, much nicer then the small cluttered start menu that's been around for so long. Microsoft are changing how things are done and they should stick with it.

I don't know who said it, but some once said something along the lines of "Those who aren't willing to move from the start menu are stuck in the XP days"
I'm OK with a full-screen replacement for the Start menu, and even with it being what comes up when you first boot up instead of the desktop, but Windows 8 suffers from an identity crisis. The Metro look clashes too much with the otherwise Windows 7-y desktop interface, and the way the two interact makes it feel like the desktop is an app you launch from within a tablet OS. Which is clearly what they intended.

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
HP actually lost a sale from me because they only offered Windows 8. I was wanting to a new desktop, but all they offered was 8.

All the people who defend 8 seem to say "It's no so bad after you change it or move things around to how you like it". However, that simply translates to "W8 is not so bad after you fix it," which is a laughable defense.

I have 8 on my laptop I got only because it was so cheap on a Black Friday sale. I figured I could put up with 8 for as big of a discount I was getting. I really hate 8 for all the reasons stated more. I've been putting up with it for over a year now, so don't tell me I haven't given it a chance.

-The apps are nothing more than pathetically stripped down versions of the real programs used on the desktop side, yet somehow seem to take longer to open, and often have ads integrated into them as well.
-Apps only have 3 possible window sizes: 1/3rd of the screen, 2/3rds of the screen, or full screen.
-An app or desktop in 1/3rd of the screen is nearly useless it's so small and narrow.
-The music and video apps have no volume control, and you can't have music videos in the same playlist as mp3's because it the "music" player; not the "video" player, (& vice-versa).
-The pdf viewer has no option to print.
-If you don't want to bother with an update for an app, W8 won't let you use the app at all.
-When there's an update for W8, the default setting is for W8 to download it and give you a warning that it's going to shutdown and install them. You have 15 minutes to finish up whatever you're doing and save. I was not given any option to delay it any longer than 15 minutes. Would be disastrous if that were to happen during a timed online test for class or during an important business meeting. (But it's ok because I can change the settings to only check for updates when I tell it to. Right?)
-Instead of a nice, compact Start menu, we get 3 pages of everything that would be on the start menu, grouped into categories so all the programs are no longer alphabetized, but in all these different groups, sprawled out with all the subfolders listed as well. Talk about clutter!

And why do ebay and netflix need apps??? Does MS think we've gotten too stupid to use shortcuts or web browsers???

I could go on, but I won't.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
People just can't handle change can they... Aside from the missing start button Windows 8 is pretty much exactly the same as 7...

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
hentropy said:
I have to say I hope they get Win9 out relatively early.
They are reportedly going for an April 2015 release.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/11/5298798/windows-9-release-date-april-2015-rumor

This is just a rumor though.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Johnson McGee said:
Grabehn said:
I kinda chuckle everytime I read a comment by someone that uses the "PCs are bigger smartphones" OS that is Win8 cuz they all pretty much say "it's not that bad" or "it's not awful". I can't remember reading a single one that said "it's good".
What I always hear is that Win 8 is good IF your device uses a touchscreen. Otherwise it's better internals but a complete clusterfcuk trying to use any other input device.
It's pretty sweet if you're using touch screen, but there are still advantages with Windows 7 over 8 for some people. I rarely use the start menu or the start screen so it doesn't matter one way or the other for the most part, but I do prefer the start menu if I am to enter the control panel (which I often do).

So I'd say it's OK, good if you're using a laptop with a touch screen and I would guess it's actually pretty awesome if you're on a tablet.

Apr 5, 2008
I had been using my old Core2Quad, 4GB DDR2, GTX285 PC for four-five years and had been waiting for Haswell/GTX7xx before buying an upgrade. Despite both being available in mid-late Spring, I waited till my sister returned from the USA with a few parts in her suitcase before building my new top-end gaming PC. I had upgraded the old machine from XP to Win7 at the same time as changing to an SSD and it was a rock solid, quick install.

After putting the new machine together, I was left with a choice of a 3-4 year old OS, or a 0-1 year old Win8. After much umming and erring and research online on discussions about the subject, I went with Windows 8. Start8 from Stardock brings back the start menu, disables all the hot corner/gesture bollocks and changes the Windows key behaviour to bring up the returned Start menu instead of the metro screen. As such, I never see any of the touchscreen/apps nonsense and instead have a Windows 7 experience, except with DX11.1 and faster performance. Out of the box, Win8 outperforms Win7 by approximately 10-15% on the same hardware, due I expect to the removal of Aero and other things. While I do miss the lovely transparencies, and the desktop widgets to some degree, I must say apart from the solid, flat colours which aren't to my taste, I do like it.

The new task manager has some useful features, the performance really is great and everything I have tried to run on it works fine. There's one annoying problem I cannot fix but in spite of that I'm happy with it. In fairness, anyone using Win7 has no real reason to upgrade...there's simply no benefit. But on a new build, there's no real reason not to use Win8. Just install Start8 to fix the main issues with running it on a desktop and all will be well :)

somethingorother003

Jan 6, 2014
clippen05 said:
I really don't see why people hate Windows 8. I use it in a traditional desktop computer, and it works fine. You don't have to use the Metro interface and can easily hide it. And it boots much faster than Windows 7, so there's that.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.
Technically Windows 8 only boots faster because it's hibernating, not directly turning off. I'm no tech expert, but I'd assume that there are some problems with doing something, memory leaks or whatever. (Though restarting Windows 8 gives the same result).

Anyways, Windows 8 is great if you have a touchscreen. If you don't, well, this [http://www.classicshell.net/] and just ignore Metro.

Although why Microsoft hasn't just given everybody their start bar back is beyond me. 90% of the legitimate criticism would disappear overnight.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I have Windows 8.1 and used 8.0 before that and find that a lot of the bitching people have done is just plain wrong. I've seen people saying "Oh Windows 8 sucks because you can't do ______" and most of the time, what they're saying is a flat out lie.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both really great, though. I'll never go back to Windows 7, but if you want to stick with it, have fun. Just don't go ranting and raving about forums about how Windows 8 sucks if you've never used it.

And a protip for anyone who does try Windows 8: Put your mouse in either the top or bottom left corners of the screen and click. Enjoy having your desktop back, even though it never actually left.

psych77

Jan 20, 2012
That Hyena Bloke said:
There are some things I think they could do better, though. They really need to find a better place for the Search/Run text box, it's a critical part of starting various programs easily and was better where I could reach it in one click, instead of moving the mouse to the top corner and waiting patiently for the appropriate menu to saunter over for the OPTION to click it.
I guess you didn't realise that you don't need to do that - you just start typing and it populates the search field, you don't need to select Search first.

I quite like Win8.1. Instead of a small-type list of every application installed I have large tiles of the applications I use most often (I also stuck some on my taskbar, as I would in Win7) and then type for anything else I need instead of looking through a list as I would in Win7.

DJ_Bunce

Jan 20, 2010
The main issue with Windows 8 is that it is idiot-proof to a fault. If you try to do anything clever, technical or particularly intensive, it shits itself. Stick to 7 if you want your computer to stay user-friendly.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
psych77 said:
That Hyena Bloke said:
There are some things I think they could do better, though. They really need to find a better place for the Search/Run text box, it's a critical part of starting various programs easily and was better where I could reach it in one click, instead of moving the mouse to the top corner and waiting patiently for the appropriate menu to saunter over for the OPTION to click it.
I guess you didn't realise that you don't need to do that - you just start typing and it populates the search field, you don't need to select Search first.
I... er... hmmm.

Looks like I'm forced to retract my previous criticism, that feature is once again considerably better than the Win7 version.

See, this is the thing about Windows 8, especially 8.1. Most of the criticisms don't have anything to do with actual operating system flaws, just peoples perceptions of them. Once you're over the learning curve you see why Microsoft did it this way, everything just sort of works.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Smart move. Most people buying a new machine try to get Win7 when given a chance. This should help them sell more units since the OS is a non-trivial expense in pc purchasing.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
This is a good move by HP. There's no reason to have a tablet interface on a desktop machine, or even a laptop. I hope this makes HP a boat load of cash and Microsoft learns a lesson.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Nimcha said:
People just can't handle change can they... Aside from the missing start button Windows 8 is pretty much exactly the same as 7...
Except, y'know, all of what the previous commenter said:

goldenheart323 said:
HP actually lost a sale from me because they only offered Windows 8. I was wanting to a new desktop, but all they offered was 8.

All the people who defend 8 seem to say "It's no so bad after you change it or move things around to how you like it". However, that simply translates to "W8 is not so bad after you fix it," which is a laughable defense.

I have 8 on my laptop I got only because it was so cheap on a Black Friday sale. I figured I could put up with 8 for as big of a discount I was getting. I really hate 8 for all the reasons stated more. I've been putting up with it for over a year now, so don't tell me I haven't given it a chance.

-The apps are nothing more than pathetically stripped down versions of the real programs used on the desktop side, yet somehow seem to take longer to open, and often have ads integrated into them as well.
-Apps only have 3 possible window sizes: 1/3rd of the screen, 2/3rds of the screen, or full screen.
-An app or desktop in 1/3rd of the screen is nearly useless it's so small and narrow.
-The music and video apps have no volume control, and you can't have music videos in the same playlist as mp3's because it the "music" player; not the "video" player, (& vice-versa).
-The pdf viewer has no option to print.
-If you don't want to bother with an update for an app, W8 won't let you use the app at all.
-When there's an update for W8, the default setting is for W8 to download it and give you a warning that it's going to shutdown and install them. You have 15 minutes to finish up whatever you're doing and save. I was not given any option to delay it any longer than 15 minutes. Would be disastrous if that were to happen during a timed online test for class or during an important business meeting. (But it's ok because I can change the settings to only check for updates when I tell it to. Right?)
-Instead of a nice, compact Start menu, we get 3 pages of everything that would be on the start menu, grouped into categories so all the programs are no longer alphabetized, but in all these different groups, sprawled out with all the subfolders listed as well. Talk about clutter!

And why do ebay and netflix need apps??? Does MS think we've gotten too stupid to use shortcuts or web browsers???

I could go on, but I won't.
^ Agree with this on all counts. Look... we all know this is a mobile OS that they pushed onto desktop users because they sorely needed a mobile OS and figured they'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It's horrific, alright? I'm a campus IT admin, and our district has been visiting other districts who've made the leap to get in bed with google, and we're looking more in favor of making the plunge and just going Chrome OS and chrome books rather than implementing Win8 district wide. On my campus, all our new purchases for the last couple years have been either refurb'ed systems running Win7 or OSX 10.8-9 machines.