Hey 4chan? Can we talk briefly?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Don Incognito said:
implyingimplications said:
Regardless, it's fucking ON, now. Everyone, including you, OP, was so willing to believe that 4chan are a bunch of scumbags that you'll believe any clever hoax without evidence just because somebody slaps "we r leejun" on it, claiming to be from there. But you know what - we can take it. Because we're the hero the internet deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll hunt us; but they'll never pin us down. We're more than a site, now. We're a goddamn ethnicity, and we refuse to be genocided. Home is where the heart is, guys. Keep your chin up and fight back.
Genocided? The hero the internet deserves?

This is a joke, right?
I'm rather hoping so myself, but it's really hard to tell sometimes.

DrWut

Sep 23, 2014
I dont go into 4chan a lot, but I don't understand why people care so much that somewhere in the internet someone is saying things thay don't agree with and maybe *gasp* expressing those views in non-approved ways. Why the interest in moderating the whole world? It gets boring sometimes.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
DrWut said:
I dont go into 4chan a lot, but I don't understand why people care so much that somewhere in the internet someone is saying things thay don't agree with and maybe *gasp* expressing those views in non-approved ways. Why the interest in moderating the whole world? It gets boring sometimes.
Because your rights end where my feelings begin!

Sep 15, 2014
Don Incognito said:
Regardless, it's fucking ON, now. Everyone, including you, OP, was so willing to believe that 4chan are a bunch of scumbags that you'll believe any clever hoax without evidence just because somebody slaps "we r leejun" on it, claiming to be from there. But you know what - we can take it. Because we're the hero the internet deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll hunt us; but they'll never pin us down. We're more than a site, now. We're a goddamn ethnicity, and we refuse to be genocided. Home is where the heart is, guys. Keep your chin up and fight back.

This is a joke, right?
>lol hay guise look at this fag
>he actually cares about the last bastion of free speech on the internet
>he think's he's part of a community whose old home is being sanitized and sold off
>he thinks there's a concerted effort to censor and slander channers
>he must be joking

Okay.

By the way, if you're going to shitpost, at least put a wacky image in there or something.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Whilst I may not be too interested in the content that gets posted on 4chan.

I simply have to respect that it exists.

Whoever, recent events do disappoint me.

4chan is supposed to be a place in which anyone can say anything without any concerns of right or wrong. It's supposed to be free speech to the nth degree.

Sadly, it falls very short of that as of late.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Don Incognito said:

This is a joke, right?
>lol hay guise look at this fag
>he actually cares about the last bastion of free speech on the internet
>he think's he's part of a community whose old home is being sanitized and sold off
>he thinks there's a concerted effort to censor and slander channers
>he must be joking

Okay.

By the way, if you're going to shitpost, at least put a wacky image in there or something.
Okay. You keep being you, buddy.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
>Thinking 4chan is a hive mind
>Believing that all board culture is identical to /b/'s or /v/'s
>Shiggery Diggery

smuganimeface.jpg

People who believe 4chan to be the internet's equivalent to Mos Eisley and construct all their opinions/perceptions of it on that fact should just go visit and lurk for a while.
The board language, in-jokes and memes will seem impenetrable at first, but you'll begin to understand after a while.
Pick a board based on your interests and go from there (although avoid /v/, /vg/ is good for certain games) and just lurk.

You'll hopefully leave with some insight to how anonymity effects social norms and restrictions in discussions, for better and for worse.

Sep 15, 2014
Don Incognito said:

OT: Now that we know this whole thing was a hoax, is the thread over, or do any intellectual titans want to chime in on how above all this low-class 4chan hullabaloo they are? Because frankly, I'm pretty tired of seeing people shit-talk and make hasty assumptions about a community they aren't a part of and think they're too good to try to understand.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Dakkagor said:
(BIG FREAKING NOTE: please try not to be offended. At this point I'm using humour to cling to sanity. And really, I think 4chan can afford to laugh at itself)

Me: Hey 4chan, how you doing? How's Gamergate these days?

(at this point, please imagine this: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/034/4/1/hydra__dipsy_demo__by_sandara-d74271p.jpg
standing in for 4chan)

4chan: WE ARE LEGION/NAKED PICTURES OF EMMA WATSON/OH NO NOT THIS AGAIN/GAMES JOURNALISM/FAGFAGFAG

Me: Yeah. . .about that. So, I saw an article on the business insider this morning, and well, I don't think it paints you in a very good light. Dare I say it, it makes you look like deplorable douches. Now I understand that not all the heads speak for each other, in-fact that as a community there is a wide range of both good and bad people (like most communities) but do you think you could deal with that head that keeps being such a sexist asshole all the time? I'll just post the link down here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/4chan-hackers-threatening-to-post-naked-photographs-of-emma-watson-2014-9

4chan: KILL ONE HEAD AND TWO APPEAR/SHE'S A SLUT AND SHE DESERVES IT/BUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH/THATS NOT WHAT GAMERGATE IS ABOUT/WE ARE NOT A HIVEMIND!

Me: Right, I know you're not a hivemind, no community is. . .now, the problem you have is that every-time something like this happens recently, it originates from one of the boards, either /b/ or /v/. It just seems that maybe its time for the moderators to take it in hand and do something about it. I know the anarchic nature of the community is one of the main draws for its members, but as long as you don't police the boards the worst, loudest voices in that community will continue to paint the rest of you in a bad light. Publicly attacking figures like this is only proving their point, and turning people against you. Are you aware of a quote commonly mis-attributed to from Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., but actually originating from Zechariah Chafee?

4chan: WE ARE THE SPAWN OF DARKNESS/SCREW THAT FEMINAZI/WE DON'T CONTROL THOSE GUYS/HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT SILVERSTRING ARE DOING/NO I AM NOT

Me: It goes "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Its a good rule to live by in my opinion. It plays into Free Speech as well. You have the right to talk, everyone does. You just don't have the right to be heard. People are free to judge you on your actions and words, and that means if you say something bone deep stupid or sexist, they are free to ignore, condemn, critique or ridicule. Just like Anita Sarkessian is free to critique video games. You are in turn, free to criticism her, but don't be surprised if after insulting, harassing and threatening her, she defends herself by shutting down comments. Thats a pretty reasonable response. Being civil, stopping your fist short of the other persons nose, means people are more likely to listen to you.

4chan: WE ARE THE VOICES OF CONTAGION/STFU SJW SHE WON'T SCREW YOU FOR IT/GODDAMNIT SHUT UP YOU ARE NOT HELPING/LOOK AT THESE CONNECTIONS IN MEDIA/THATS A GOOD POINT

Me: Similarly, attacking a public figure with threats of spreading pictures of her online is just going make people condemn the whole damn community. Maybe its time to stop ragging on the moderators over at 4chan and let them do the best job they can at cutting of the arsehole heads. Maybe they'll grow back, maybe in the meantime 4chan won't be a good place to discuss Gamergate, but I think for the good of the forum as a whole, and all the good parts of it, those voices need to be cleaned out.

4chan: WE ARE LORDS OF TYPHON/STFU FEMINAZI ARGH SWORD AND ACID/OH THANK GOD HE GOT CUT OFF/COLLUSION BETWEEN MODERATORS AND PRESS/THANKS FOR BEING REASONABLE.

Me: No problem. I'm going to go cruise /tg/. Stay classy you many headed beast of ruin!

4chan: WE ARE LEGION/...ARGH REGROWING HURTS LIKE YOUR MOM/DAMN HE'S BACK AGAIN/THE MOVEMENT IS NOT ABOUT ZOE QUINN/SEE YOU AROUND!

(Note: again, not overly serious. . .but come on guys, you have to understand why you have such an awful reputation around the internet, and people struggle to take you seriously, even when you have good points, when 4chan self identifies as the anarchic Mos Eisely of the internet.)

captcha: in over my head. . . .ho boy. . .
\
I'm sorry but you are obviously very misinformed with the situation and believe in whatever lies have been fed to you without doing the proper research.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
OT: Now that we know this whole thing was a hoax, is the thread over, or do any intellectual titans want to chime in on how above all this low-class 4chan hullabaloo they are? Because frankly, I'm pretty tired of seeing people shit-talk and make hasty assumptions about a community they aren't a part of and think they're too good to try to understand.
Far be it from me to criticize "the hero the internet deserves". I wouldn't want you think I was trying to "genocide" you.

Maybe take a walk outside for a little while? Step away from the keyboard a bit?

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
dragoongfa said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
dragoongfa said:
4chan is no longer affiliated with GamerGate after the banning of the discussion a week ago.

Nice joke though.
Everyone's talking about jumping ship to 8chan.co

It's a lot like the first schism where a bunch of people fled to 7chan, except they're not pedos defending their right to post illegal jailbait and loli images this time.

By everyone I mean the guys who frequent /pol/, /b/, and /v/. Most of the other boards are pretty much unaffected.
Lot's of people from /k/, /a/ and /sp/ also jumped ship if the relevant 8chan boards are any indication.

Also Hotwheels announced a collaboration of 8chan with 2chan
I haven't noticed to much difference in /k/. All seems to be as it typically is.

OT: The emma watson thing was a hoax by an advertising company.

EDIT: Looking at the /k/ board on 8chan, I feel quite at home.

Sep 15, 2014
Don Incognito said:
Maybe take a walk outside for a little while? Step away from the keyboard a bit?
...says the guy repeatedly shitposting in a thread about events he obviously has no stake in. Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8

Mods, if I were you I'd lock this thread. OP's topic turned out to be a hoax, and if he wants to discuss that he can make a new thread cause there's sure as hell no one in here that wants to have an actual discussion.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Don Incognito said:
We're posting on an internet forum about videogames arguing over the alleged actions another website that also likes videogames.

We all need to go outside.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Shock and Awe said:
I haven't noticed to much difference in /k/. All seems to be as it typically is.

OT: The emma watson thing was a hoax by an advertising company.

EDIT: Looking at the /k/ board on 8chan, I feel quite at home.
Yeah, same here. I mostly use /k/, and it doesn't feel that much different at first glance. There's no Ukraine or Syria general threads, which I have mixed feelings about...

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Don Incognito said:

No, we need to inform EVERYONE in the thread. Just quote every person before the pic leak link and any new people after that don't know, and refer them to your first post.

Shit, we need to inform EVERYONE related to the subject that we and 4chan have been duped.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Dakkagor said:
dragoongfa said:
xDarc said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Huxley said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Mr.Doh said:
Doclector said:
SonicWaffle said:

I won't quote the rest of the people in this thread, but I thought it VERY important to know this:

Dakkagor said:
Oh fantastic! Turns out the whole thing was a hoax by a scummy, slimy "PR firm", who are a cover for a group of professional trolls.

You know what, if the internet wasn't integral to my job, I'd just live in a flipping cave.

http://www.businessinsider.com/emma-watson-naked-photo-countdown-hoax-2014-9#ixzz3EEiqEpy9
Yeah, 8chan's /pol/ broke that story themselves after a lot of investigation and passed it on to any news agency they thought would cover it. Not that it was hard to figure out after that site started redirecting to that whole "#ShutDown4chan" page. They even made an infograph with evidence:

Regardless, it's fucking ON, now. Everyone, including you, OP, was so willing to believe that 4chan are a bunch of scumbags that you'll believe any clever hoax without evidence just because somebody slaps "we r leejun" on it, claiming to be from there.
4chan is being used by a bunch of expert trolls for money. I repeat: 4chan is innocent in all of this.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Ishnuvalok said:
Don Incognito said:
We're posting on an internet forum about videogames arguing over the alleged actions another website that also likes videogames.

We all need to go outside.
It's a fair cop.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
chadachada123 said:
No, we need to inform EVERYONE in the thread. Just quote every person before the pic leak link and any new people after that don't know, and refer them to your first post.

Shit, we need to inform EVERYONE related to the subject that we and 4chan have been duped.
There is this thread, mind:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.861470-The-Rantic-Marketing-Emma-Watson-photo-leak-hoax-is-a-hoax-itself

Now, not saying what the truth of it is, but maybe something to bear in mind.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Don Incognito said:
...says the guy repeatedly shitposting in a thread about events he obviously has no stake in. Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8

Mods, if I were you I'd lock this thread. OP's topic turned out to be a hoax, and if he wants to discuss that he can make a new thread cause there's sure as hell no one in here that wants to have an actual discussion.
Well mods, you heard the hero the internet deserves. Better do what he says, or he might genocide you, or something.