Hi-Fi Rush - Rollin' Over the Melody, Rockin' Over the Beat!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Finished the second mission, and I'm starting to be actually impressed by the breadth of this game's musical choices. Pulling out The Flaming Lips was unexpected, but it works perfectly for where it's played. More going on than just 'rock stars'.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You've outdone yourselves Tango! Masterclass game right here! I do love the story and the way it ended. I highly doubt there's gonna be a sequel, but obviously not because of poor reception. There's lots of end game content as well. Costumes, a bloody palace mode (with a timer unfortunately!), and level select to do the challenge missions. 12 Tracks (Chapters) of great single-player content. My only gripe with the game is some of the QTEs. They're not the worst, but it can be frustrating at times, if you're not into the rhythm properly. Parrying is actually pretty lenient on Normal, but I am sure it and Just Timing are harder pull off at higher difficulty levels.

Excellent game overall, wonderful characters and character development, and a bad ass soundtrack. I would not mind seeing more rhythm combat action games, if they're done this well or of similar caliber.

Here's Serpahim's entire walkthrough on Rhythm Master.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not at all likely to play this, as I don't have an Xbox (or any likely access to one), and just never enjoy playing beat-em-ups on PC.

Just gotta say the animation looks gorgeous, and this is the first game so far to make me kinda wish I did have access to a current-gen Xbox somewhere.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Played through the whole game and finished it this weekend, finally.
My problems with the QTE's did not go away but playing it on the big screen with a controller helped me resign myself to the fact that those dam things and I are just not going to get along and I just kept doing them over and over and over until I one attempt got lucky and I was able to finally move on.

It's the same reason I couldn't do well in some of the combos- apparently, when there's one circle closing in another circle, my brain and ears freeze up and I can't do anything. So each fight I would have grades of A and S on every category but "Just in Time" would be D. Ok.

On the other hand, what I did love is that the end game wasn't THAT much harder than the rest, like most games do. I mean yeah there were waves and waves of enemies but it was still fair and I didn't have to drop the difficulty down to Easy for them. I only had to use Easy for those stupid QTE's and the last two bosses. The third phase of the wolf boss in the Scrooge McDuck gold pool was just too confusing for me to see where he was coming and going. And for the final boss I was just tired and wanted to be done, frankly.

Best boss fights I've played in a while. I greatly enjoy that they were not just challenges and unique fights but thematic and visually striking. The marketing lady was my favorite. I think the last boss I greatly enjoyed like that was the witch gramma in Death's Door.

Overall, 6/10. Would be 10/10 if the concentric circles wouldn't make my want to kill myself every 10 minutes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My problems with the QTE's did not go away but playing it on the big screen with a controller helped me resign myself to the fact that those dam things and I are just not going to get along and I just kept doing them over and over and over until I one attempt got lucky and I was able to finally move on.
The QTEs I didn't care much for either, but I had less trouble with them. I will say that the beginning of the final level should be skippable, because it's a glorified QTE cut-scene. Yeah, it's an awesome character moment, but no one should have to do that on repeat playthroughs.

So each fight I would have grades of A and S on every category but "Just in Time" would be D. Ok.
Takes time to get good at it. By the second half of the game, most of my Just Times were in either Bs or As. To make your just time score easier, go for the more basic combos or pause combos. Pulling those off correctly will usually make that category score go high quickly.

The third phase of the wolf boss in the Scrooge McDuck gold pool was just too confusing for me to see where he was coming and going.
Honestly, I found Rochfort not that challenging. Granted, I was parrying most of his attacks.

And for the final boss I was just tired and wanted to be done, frankly.
Kale is basically a puzzle boss in the final phase of his fight. I only died once, but that was because of a minor glitch. Still a great boss once you get the pattern and timing down.

Best boss fights I've played in a while. I greatly enjoy that they were not just challenges and unique fights but thematic and visually striking. The marketing lady was my favorite.
Mimosa is my favorite and what I consider the best boss in the game as well. From a design standpoint, combat, and spectacle. Her fight gave me the right Guitaroo Man, Parappa, and Space Channel 5 vibes they were exactly going for.

Overall, 6/10. Would be 10/10 if the concentric circles wouldn't make my want to kill myself every 10 minutes.
At its worse. Hi-Fi Rush I would call an 8/10, if we're going for rating scale. 6 is way too low in this case. Action games Bikini Zombie Slayers or DmC_Vanilla I would call a 6/10.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I wish there was a way to do more combat without replaying story.
I was in the mood for it because I quit Wo Long and Elden Ring replay so I need to fight something, and I remember Hi-Fi having post-game things with closed doors, so I was gonna check that out. But the way to do that apparently is to replay levels. But that would mean re-doing QTE's, so obviously that ain't happening. Oh well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wish there was a way to do more combat without replaying story.
I was in the mood for it because I quit Wo Long and Elden Ring replay so I need to fight something, and I remember Hi-Fi having post-game things with closed doors, so I was gonna check that out. But the way to do that apparently is to replay levels. But that would mean re-doing QTE's, so obviously that ain't happening. Oh well.
There is Rhythm Tower mode. It's DMC Bloody Palace Survival mode, but it does that thing where you're on a timer. Hitting zero time is an instant game over. So you have to be either really good, by certain movies you haven't already, or have certain chips installed.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I played it on PC last year and it was great. Honestly it was probably the game I enjoyed the most of 2023, which is saying something because 2023 was a banger year.

I wouldn't say that it was the BEST game of the year, but I would say that it was the game thought brought me the most fun and happiness. It was clearly a joyful labor of love. The art, the music, the characters, all just hit right for me that I really enjoyed it.

The moment that the rhythm finally hit for me and started to feel natural was one of the best feelings I've had playing video games in a while. Finally getting combos, dodging and parrying to flow smoothly on the beat without having to think about it, being in that flow state just feels great.