Hindus Ask PAX To Drop Smite

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I got an invite for the open beta of Smite, so I'm enjoying the massive lack of pre-release fucks that I don't give.

judgementbringer

Oct 25, 2010
So why is this an issue now? I don't remember anyone freaking out about the Shin Megami Tensei games. And those games feature all of the major deities from Hinduism. Every other major religion too for that matter.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I can understand being upset about it, but at the end of the day, you just have to get over it and ignore it if you don't like it. I read plenty on these forums on how my beliefs are for superstitious idiots and are a subjugating tool. Eventually, you just have to say, "Whatever, why should I give a shit what you think? Amen."

Mar 7, 2012
I am Greek and I am offended by the portrayal of the Greek gods in God of War. Remove God of War from conventions.

Seriously, get over it.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Woodsey said:
Sleekit said:
The Plunk said:
I trust the Penny Arcade guys to stand up to these enemies of free speech.
still no characters from the Abrahamic religions i see.

why is that exactly ?..

oh yes...they are shitebags.

still /golfcalp in the name of "freedom of speech" eh ?..

especially when its quite clear they won't actually dare offend anyone who might actually be able to mess with them in return.

cowards.
Their job is not to include all the religions you've taken up a personal beef with. You might have noticed that Hindu deities are rather interesting looking, whilst anyone important in Christianity, Judaism and Islam is a bloke with a beard. So yeah, no shit they're not included.
So... like pretty much most mage characters in video games?

It's lazy design if you think that way though. Jesus and the Abrahamic religions have a wealth of Middle Eastern culture and style to create character designs from... and that's not including the Greek and Roman influences on the various depictions of Christian idols (although that particular word is tricky given the ten commandments).

But of course they wouldn't try that, since they'd get into real trouble in the US. Like Plunk says, they're ignoring the complaint because they can, not through any sense of ethics.

Not that I give a crap either way, I'm not going to play that game anyway. 3D DOTA doesn't seem that thrilling to me.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Oh my f...why does this...

At the very least, it is Penny Arcade, they're not going to give in to this crap.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
"Religion ... has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is, 'Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not? - because you're not!' If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If someone thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand is somebody says 'I mustn't move a light switch on a Saturday', you say, 'I respect that'.
Why should it be that it's perfectly legitimate to support the Labour party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, Macintosh instead of Windows - but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe ... no, that's holy? ... We are used to not challenging religious ideas but it's very interesting how much of a furore Richard (Dawkins) creates when he does it! Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you're not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is no reason why those ideas shouldn't be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn't be.
"

I, like Dawkins, will never grow tired of sharing the words of Douglas Adams.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dudes... I'm a Christian who plays The Binding of Isaac. Guess what I think about your feelings being hurt by a game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Spartan1362 said:
"Religion ... has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is, 'Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not? - because you're not!' If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If someone thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand is somebody says 'I mustn't move a light switch on a Saturday', you say, 'I respect that'.
Why should it be that it's perfectly legitimate to support the Labour party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, Macintosh instead of Windows - but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe ... no, that's holy? ... We are used to not challenging religious ideas but it's very interesting how much of a furore Richard (Dawkins) creates when he does it! Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you're not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is no reason why those ideas shouldn't be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn't be.
"

I, like Dawkins, will never grow tired of sharing the words of Douglas Adams.
Respect for the avatar! <high-five>

Also, it's a fair quote. I find that it goes the other way a bit often these days, but it's fair.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
yes we know you are offend but have you heard of just getting over the fact it offends you or ingnoring the game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali
from what i can see kali wear more clothes in the game the in the picture of the god

no really she is topless
in the game she is not topless
i don't see this guys problem with her depiction in the game

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Kargathia said:
Krantos said:
What they really need to do is balance the books.

Make Jesus a playable character.

Not quite sure how that would work given his philosophy, but they should make it work.

As a Christian myself, I would love to see that and imagine The Man would get a kick out of it.
Rather dying for your ideals than use violence does not exactly constitute a good video game protagonist in a fighting game.
Please, Jesus would totally scrounge up a scourge from somewhere and give those other gods a good whipping. Because that's how he rolls.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
You know, for some reason, I used to think of the Hindu religion as smarter than this, more apt to being above this kind of bull than other religions.

Wish I wasn't wrong, but I clearly was.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Lillowh said:
They're offended? So what. It's a game. Are they trying to accurately depict your magical being that has no proof of existance? No? Then cry harder, because this is the real world, and those characters have every right to be in this game because not only are they fictional, they're also not owned by anyone, so it's not a problem. Disagreeing with their right to put them in the game just makes you scum who wants to keep speech limited to what you want the ignorant to hear. Sounds familiar... oh yeah:
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogame makers should be more sensitive while handling faith related subjects, as these games left lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people."
...and how is religion different? Have fun teaching young people to continue to be closed minded believers of something whose existance in stted in a book that is in no way different than a fairy tale so they act the way you want them to.
Yikes, tone down the atheist rage dude. Disagreeing with it doesn't make them scum, it just makes them normal. The deities may be fake to you but they very much believe in their existence; by extension feeling they should be held in a place of reverence.

They're not planning a protest, they're not suing the studio, and this is not trying to bully PAX into dropping the company from the convention.(bullying would be trying to get PAX evicted from the convention center unless they dropped the company from the roster) They're trying to put pressure on the company any way they can and one of the well accepted ways of getting a business to change what it's doing is by taking aim at their wallet. Hell the gaming community does it, or at least tries to, all the time.

There is nothing wrong with what they are doing, but it is a little sad when you stop to think about it. They're trying to get people other than themselves to care and there is just not a single fuck left spare. I'd say don't get mad at them, frustrated maybe but not mad. It's certainly loads less stressful on your health than knee jerk rage. (Hinduism is also pretty low on the "evil religions" list since they're kinda mellow in their teachings as it is. So you know, pick something not so benign to be angry over.)

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Triforceformer said:
The Plunk said:
I trust the Penny Arcade guys to stand up to these enemies of free speech.
To be fair, Hi-Rez are being dickheads. I mean, just look at Kali. That's just being a dickhead.

Edit: And the Hindus aren't opposing Free Speech. They're expressing THEIR right to THEIR free speech to say they don't like what Hi-Rez are doing and are politely asking conventions to not support the game. It works both way. Shocking, I'm sure.
Just look at her? Have you seen actual classic depictions of Kali? Just Google her and take a look, they aren't that far off. They'd be closer if she were wearing less clothes and a necklace of heads, though.

Arvind

Apr 11, 2009
I don't support the banning of these characters, but the headline would be better if it said "Hindu Organization Asks PAX To Drop Smite" - this organization does not represent every follower of Hinduism after all.

Feb 8, 2009
Kali is also in a game where you shoot yourself in the head to summon it from your inner being.

edit: But to be fair, they do have a right to be offended. I'm just saying that this isn't the only instance of divine beings being used as game characters.