Hindus Criticize Smite For "Trivializing" Their Religion

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
As a catholic, all I have to say is 'CRY SOME MORE'. I've encounter more then a few games that have an analogue for the church that winds up being a corrupt group that secretly worships the devil. At least all you get is "trivialized". Also, I want a playable Jesus but I want it so its so over the top ridiculously offensive that it becomes awesome.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Some butthurt hindu's complain about their religion being trivialised in a game

"Oh god fucking religious nutjobs, religion is dumb etc, it's only a game, cry more"

Some batshit feminist complains about their gender being trivialised in a game

"Oh god what a brave woman standing up to this horde of misogynist trolls, have all my money!"

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Mr.Squishy said:
"Pastafarians criticize Smite for trivializing the flying spaghetti monster". Same thing, really.
This summarizes my feelings.

Just like ANY OTHER religion, go cry your eyes out cause the big bad man tried to tell you Sant-y Clause doesn't exist.

If the whole world was up 20 IQ points, this wouldn't be an issue.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
I wonder what would happen if someone made a fighting game involving the god of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism?

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Eyelicker said:
Some butthurt hindu's complain about their religion being trivialised in a game

"Oh god fucking religious nutjobs, religion is dumb etc, it's only a game, cry more"

Some batshit feminist complains about their gender being trivialised in a game

"Oh god what a brave woman standing up to this horde of misogynist trolls, have all my money!"
False equivalence. Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

I think this recent hooplah about female tropes is nothing short of overblown to an asinine degree, but there is an issue behind it.
Blasphemy insults someones way of life, you could argue that religion is even more important and personal to someone than gender, which really only defines you very superficially.

Honestly, I think both these people and the recent feminist surge are equally as retarded, but these guys have a slightly less retarded premise to stand on.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Truly-A-Lie said:
I said it when they complained about Asura's Wrath and I'll say it again now. If they didn't consider games like Dante's Inferno or shows like Supernatural using Christian theology trivialising and offensive to Christianity, they have no ground to stand on now. You can't hold yourself to a higher standard than anyone else. "You can play with Jesus and Satan all you like because that's fine, but don't touch Vishnu. He's special." is just hypocritical and undermines whatever argument you may have had.
I think there's a difference between Dante's Inferno, which is based on a classic work of Christian pseudo-theology, and having the Gods themselves beat each other up for points.

I feel like it's perfectly acceptable to ask for respect when it comes to the treatment of your deities. They aren't even demanding a boycott or anything; they're just voicing their upset. I can understand that. I don't believe in God, Hindu or not, but I can understand being upset to see your culture treated like that. It underscores a general frustration I think a lot of people from the East have when it comes to how trivialized and misrepresented their religions are. I can understand that. I don't think it's whiny or dumb.

TheOrb

Jun 24, 2012
Buretsu said:
Scrustle said:
Oh boo fucking hoo. Get over it, your religion isn't special.
Exactly. This is just like those muslims getting up in arms over those cartoons depicting Mohammed.
That business about Mohammed(peace be upon Him) was far worse than this. That was about a cartoon in a Danish newspaper that defied the Quran and Islam, depicting Mohammed's face. This is about the believers of Hinduism being offended by the depiction of their gods in a videogame. As far as I know, there is not a tenant in the Śruti, Smriti or any others that prohibits the depiction of or use of their gods as objects of entertainment.

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
I'm just waiting for a God-of-War-like game starring a chain-smoking/wise-cracking Jesus beating up religious figures from other religions.

If it bothers them so much they shouldn't buy it. That's it. Religious people should feel free to make fun of atheist's beliefs in their games too, though. Not sure how that would work...

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Hammeroj said:
Eyelicker said:
Blasphemy insults someones way of life, you could argue that religion is even more important and personal to someone than gender, which really only defines you very superficially.

Honestly, I think both these people and the recent feminist surge are equally as retarded, but these guys have a slightly less retarded premise to stand on.
Uh, yeah, if you define gullibility, ignorance, egocentricity, arrogance and probably quite a few other negative traits as a way of life, sure. It's just like insulting that.

People will get offended by anything, and they don't have a right to be free from getting offended.
"HURR DURR everyone who is religious is stupid and gullible and arrogant cos I saw a documentary on the westburo baptist church.!" Don't prejudge a whole massive group of people. I'm an atheist, but have met plenty of decent reasonable religious people. Self righteous atheists like you are just as unpleasant and obnoxious as religious zealots. Religion can also promote a lot of positive traits and values too.

I agree though that freedom from censorship is more important though. And anyone who gets butthurt over a game be them a batshit feminist or a religious zealot needs to fucking get over themselves and turn the other cheek.

It's either all game or everything becomes out of bounds.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
darkstone said:
Now lets see if the devs have the balls to make Jesus a playable character.
Jesus is NOTHIN', they had an evil female jesus in FFT and a Japanese jesus knock-off in Persona 3.

Now, MUHAMMAD is where the REAL 'do you have the balls' god is.

I mean, these people riot over a damn CARTOON, imagine if you could have Abraham vs Jesus vs Muhammad vs Loki.

You know how primitives are.
Riots in the streets, burn down of buildings, suicide attacks against the developers home office, etc.

Icky, icky stuff.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Optiluiz said:
I'm just waiting for a God-of-War-like game starring a chain-smoking/wise-cracking Jesus beating up religious figures from other religions.
YES THIS! Just the singularity of butthurt it would cause would be worth it alone!

Crucify This!: The Game

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Richardplex said:
Saw this coming a mile away. Did think it was a bit odd for Hi Rez to include Hinduism along with dead religion's gods. Clearly, the only way to peacefully resolve this is to include Jesus as a hero.
Jesus wasn't a fully fledged god, there is a reason this has Zeus and not Hercules.

I want to see South Park's depiction of the christian true God. And then, the islamic god, that'll be good.

Cannibal Johnson

Dec 29, 2011
darkstone said:
Now lets see if the devs have the balls to make Jesus a playable character.
I would give them all my money if this was in the game. Hell, I'd get a job as a 60 cent hooker to play that game