Hindus Upset Over Asura's Wrath

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
ciancon said:
Wait, Asura's Wrath has come out? Why hasn't it been reviewed yet!?
I like to think (read: delude myself into thinking) that theyre waiting for the late UK release on friday before they review it.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I want this game to see a very angry man go "AAAAGGGGHHHH" a lot and punch many things.

Not to learn about religeon.

Silly Hindus.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I don't think the Universal Society of Hindu is being unreasonable here. Religion is a concept that should be explored, just like other fundamental concepts of our society. However, it's also very, very important to a lot of people, so when it is explored it should be done thoughtfully and accurately.

This is good for both the religious and the gamers (and where those groups overlap, double plus goodness!), since the religous get to see their religion explored in interesting ways that might make them think about their beliefs. Gamers get interesting games that investigate deep concepts.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
man's a idiot.
He's getting bent out of shape because his religion isn't being played out word for word in the game? how ridiculous can you be?

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Mr C said:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect. As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.
This is about the worst thing you can said. Respect should be EARNED through GOOD things. Just because you're an religion or have a faith should give you respect.

Otherwise Scientology would also be in need of respect. Same goes for Islam. No, that goes too far. Respect should be earned. Not gotten just because you have faith in something.

As for the topic. I don't really care but the game just makes it look good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Get in line behind the Christians, Muslims, Norse, Greeks....

Hell, even Devil worship gets a bad rap in games and other entertainment media. Think about THAT.

Eric the Orange said:
I'm not particularly religious, so I always find it odd that some people who are get so easily offended about it. By this I mean that there are things that I hold in high regard but I don't really care if other people dislike them or disrespect them. But it seems that people are especially touchy when it come to matters of belief.
People don't just hold religion in high regard, they often see it as a core element of identity. I'm not defending it, just acknowledging that it exists.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dont think Hindus suicide bomb so its fair game. Religion is a sticky subject, as long as your not being disrespectful then its fine. But then they just need to ignore it, most of them probably only noticed when some one wrote a story about it. Kinda like those politicians that tried to ban Mass Effect because someone said you could rape in it. They are not even the target audience of the game in the first place. Like I, and others, find religion offensive but i dont moan and deny people there right to it.

To make you feel better, i played the Azuras Wrath demo and it sucks. Button mashing, QTE and lots of cut scenes....go watch a Manga film and tap your figures randomly and you will get the same effect. At best its a rental only.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Either way, don't tell them about Digital Devil Saga, they'll have a breakdown.
My thoughts exactly.
While i do UNDERSTAND that people think religions need to be respected,I don't see what's wrong in Asuras Wrath,so far it doesn't seem like it deliberately trying to piss hindus out or anything so why complain?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Azuaron said:
Eric the Orange said:
I'm not particularly religious, so I always find it odd that some people who are get so easily offended about it. By this I mean that there are things that I hold in high regard but I don't really care if other people dislike them or disrespect them. But it seems that people are especially touchy when it come to matters of belief.
So you don't care if, for instance, people disbelieve evolution and use public funds to open young Earth creationist museums?
Yeah I would dislike that but for a very specific reason. You said public funds, meaning that it's being paid for by tax dollars. And I'm against pretty much anything that's not related to the direct running of the government being paid for by tax dollars, no matter what it is. My take is that if you want to get your research, art exhibit, ect. funded you look some where else. It doesn't matter if I agree with it or not. But that's getting off on a tangent.

In this case someone made a game that was funded by a corporation. So say if this game was about the "young Earth creationist" stuff, no it would not bother me. Or if someone made that museum with donations or investors would not bug me either.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
You know, I feel the Hindus here voiced their displeasure in a perfectly reasonable way. They didn't burn the developers in effigy or go rioting, just said that their game was grossly inaccurate and somewhat offensive. They even had the good graces to educated future game developers on Hinduism should they be interested.

Christians and Muslims could learn a thing or two from this.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Hal10k said:
We need a game based off of Scientology if we want to be thorough on this.
Every game with aliens ever. There, there are your damn games with Scientology elements.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Hal10k said:
Okay. Asura's Wrath has us covered on Hinduism. Games like Dante's Inferno and Darksiders incorporate elements from Christianity. Prince of Persia takes at least a few superficial elements from Islam. Games have been borrowing from the ideas of Buddhist monks & Tao philosophy for years. Pokemon is essentially Shinto, and every robots-fighting-humanity story borrows from the Jewish folktale of the Rabbi's golem.

We need a game based off of Scientology if we want to be thorough on this.
Prince of Persia does not have any elements of Islam, the Forgotten Sands and the Solomon Army plot is not related to Islam(the Quranic version of Prophet Solomon is different). It has elements of 1001 Nights/Arabian Nights and some of those,(I think mainly Sindbad and Ali Baba) had some Islamic morals and the last(proper) game had the moral "turn the other cheek" when facing the last boss.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Blind Sight said:
Probably not many. Cause Wolfwood is awesome.
As a practicing Roman Catholic for 21 years, I completely agree. As for this, religion has kinda always been botched by video games, but considering that it's not meant to be taken seriously, it's just never been an issue to me. I actually like his response and offer to game developers though. Way better than a useless boycott.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Chefodeath said:
You know, I feel the Hindus here voiced their displeasure in a perfectly reasonable way. They didn't burn the developers in effigy or go rioting, just said that their game was grossly inaccurate and somewhat offensive. They even had the good graces to educated future game developers on Hinduism should they be interested.

Christians and Muslims could learn a thing or two from this.
I agree, especially with the educating them part. Islam asks us to do this unless they just keep insulting us or our religion ,just for fun, and thus encourage harm and redule/lies against us until then we are told to be peaceful but some uneducated Muslims(who don't even know that much about Islam and yet claim to speak for it) forget that.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
*picks up phone*

Hello? Yes, me again. I'm going to need another fucking waaaaaambulance.

I'm sorry but if your buddhist and a video game is offending you unintentionally for using your religion as a baseline for its fantasy setting/storyline then you need to grow up.

Welcome to 2012.

Did the vatican demand a national state of emergency over the Diablo series? No they didn't. And they defend child molesting priests! Surely you can be the better human beings in this situation.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Hinduism is the oldest and third-largest of the world's major religions, with an estimated one billion adherents around the world. Asura's Wrath [http://www.amazon.com/Asuras-Wrath-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6HLOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331082930&sr=8-1] has a Metacritic score of 73, and is available now for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Hardly a fair comparison! What metascore does Hinduism have?

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Hindus Upset Over Asura's Wrath

instead, he said that he or other Hindu scholars "would gladly provide genuine seekers from [the] videogames industry the resources they needed for their study and research regarding Hinduism."

Rajan Zed.
Pretty cool guy.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
I find the title of this article to be purposefully misleading as a means to generate hits rather than inform a reader of the contents at a glance. What they're asking for is rather reasonable and their reaction was neither overblown nor disrespectful towards Capcom. In fact, I feel the hint that there is some flattery going on in that they recognize this as an opportunity to spread their ideals further through the medium and rather than attacking everyone as though they are enemies to be conquered, ala Christianity, they are addressing them as a friend who mistakenly used a racially insensitive comment and has offered to educate rather than punish.