Hindus Upset Over Asura's Wrath

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Zed acknowledged that freedom of expression is "important" but added that faith is sacred, and game developers should be more sensitive when dealing with such matters. If developers cannot "accurately and authentically deliver religious imagery and symbolism," he said, then they should not "unnecessarily poke into religion."

"No faith, large or small, should be plundered," Zed said.
Funny, I don't remember this guy speaking up when Assassin's Creed said the 3 major monotheistic religions of the world were based on the effects of mind-control devices invented by Ancient Aliens...

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
What? A form of media is misrepresenting a group of people? SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

No, but seriously, while these Hindus are being pretty chill about it compared to most other religions when they catch wind of this stuff, media just doesn't give a shit. Especially concerning fantasy narratives. We're BORROWING from your religion. If I borrow your hedge clippers to make a shape in my hedge, that shape is not a reflection on you. If I make it a penis and give you your hedge clippers back, then the only people who are going to get legitimately mad at me is the homeowners' association or the landlord.

Joel Bridge

Feb 26, 2012
Thing it self alot America don't Hindusim in genral, i taking comparive relgion class right now, this faith has infinte soul, it tailer to person, in hindu there is several different path you take reach your spirial goal it amazing. Man offering to teaching the business about faith in scholarly light that beautiful. There way of enlightment in hinduism call the path wisdom or knowelege it made for scholar and intellectual gods are hard or even matter to the question the ask, there asking about question and mean of that and what is soul and self.

Joel Bridge

Feb 26, 2012
Thing it self alot America don't Hindusim in genral, i taking comparive relgion class right now, this faith has infinte soul, it tailer to person, in hindu there is several different path you take reach your spirial goal it amazing. Man offering to teaching the business about faith in scholarly light that beautiful. There way of enlightment in hinduism call the path wisdom or knowelege it made for scholar and intellectual gods are hard or even matter to the question the ask, there asking about question and mean of that and what is soul and self.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
yeah_so_no said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
I see where they are coming from, but I call overreaction. Sure, they're messing around a bit.

Then again, see Okami. It took a bunch of Japanese mythology and said that most of it was really a wacky fun joke story. Susano-o was not a great warrior. He was a middle aged dude with a beer gut who told everyone that he was a great warrior.

Again, I see where they're coming from, but I wanna say "loosen up a bit."
The thing with bringing up Okami, though...Okami is a Japanese game created by Japanese devs based on Japanese mythology and geared towards a Japanese audience (yeah, it was translated, but the original target audience was Japanese) - that means every aspect is Japanese, and there's no cultural appropriation, which is where a lot of problems can lie.
Point taken. I thought it would have been a plus that they could make fun of their own thing, but it can really go either way now that you say it.

May 28, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
I'm not particularly religious, so I always find it odd that some people who are get so easily offended about it. By this I mean that there are things that I hold in high regard but I don't really care if other people dislike them or disrespect them. But it seems that people are especially touchy when it come to matters of belief.
Why does it surprise you. If a person is passionate about something they will defend it. Though I found this article very refreshing, to offer advice to make the games less offensive to them instead of having a hissy fit. A lot of people religious or not could learn from this.

SouthpawFencer

Jul 5, 2010
I disagree with Rajan Zed's central premise, which I think is incorporated by the following statements:

Andy Chalk said:
If developers cannot "accurately and authentically deliver religious imagery and symbolism," he said, then they should not "unnecessarily poke into religion."

Despite disagreeing with his central premise, I don't have a problem with this guy.

He doesn't seem to want to implement a legal ban on the use of religious lore in video games, even if they deviate from the common interpretations of the followers of that religion. He's just using his right to free speech to state that Capcom's right to free speech was used to produce a work he finds ignorant and offensive, and wishes that this was avoided in the future in regards to all religions.

He obviously holds religious beliefs in a higher regard that I, as an atheist, do. As a result, he finds gross misinterpretations of religious tenants/beliefs/lore to be more offensive than I do.

I found his statements to be mature, reasonable and both respectful and worthy of respect, even if I disagree with them.

Joel Bridge

Feb 26, 2012
It
SouthpawFencer said:
I disagree with Rajan Zed's central premise, which I think is incorporated by the following statements:

Andy Chalk said:
If developers cannot "accurately and authentically deliver religious imagery and symbolism," he said, then they should not "unnecessarily poke into religion."

Despite disagreeing with his central premise, I don't have a problem with this guy.

He doesn't seem to want to implement a legal ban on the use of religious lore in video games, even if they deviate from the common interpretations of the followers of that religion. He's just using his right to free speech to state that Capcom's right to free speech was used to produce a work he finds ignorant and offensive, and wishes that this was avoided in the future in regards to all religions.

He obviously holds religious beliefs in a higher regard that I, as an atheist, do. As a result, he finds gross misinterpretations of religious tenants/beliefs/lore to be more offensive than I do.

I found his statements to be mature, reasonable and both respectful and worthy of respect, even if I disagree with them.
Funny thing is you can be atheist and hindu.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I appreciate what the guy's saying, but it's Asura's Wrath, has this guy seen it? This game's fucking insane, it doesn't accurately portray anything. I'm pretty sure accurate, realistic portrayal is the opposite of what Asura's Wrath was going for.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
they need to go play "faith fighter" (it's like religious smash bro) where up on winning, god says "Worship ME!"

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
DailonCmann said:
When will they learn? Here in America, it's okay for major media outlets to make fun of any religion*.

*except Christianity.
Exactly. This routine generalization of religious faiths in headlines is getting out of hand. Even when its not intentionally alienating, just see how people are responding to such stories. Notice how when it's Christians who look bad, its always "Christian fundamentalists"? When other faiths are involved, why not use "Hindu fundamentalists" or "Islamic extremists"?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
I appreciate what the guy's saying, but it's Asura's Wrath, has this guy seen it? This game's fucking insane, it doesn't accurately portray anything. I'm pretty sure accurate, realistic portrayal is the opposite of what Asura's Wrath was going for.
pretty sure 'realistic' .... anything, was stuffed in a trash bag, beaten with sticks and toss out the 50th floor window. it it looks AWESOME for it

OT: my though? good sir, in face face of you missing the point entirely, i shall partake in a beef product in your honor!

people take religion to seriously as is, last place i wanna see an accurate depiction of it is in a game

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Hal10k said:
Okay. Asura's Wrath has us covered on Hinduism. Games like Dante's Inferno and Darksiders incorporate elements from Christianity. Prince of Persia takes at least a few superficial elements from Islam. Games have been borrowing from the ideas of Buddhist monks & Tao philosophy for years. Pokemon is essentially Shinto, and every robots-fighting-humanity story borrows from the Jewish folktale of the Rabbi's golem.

We need a game based off of Scientology if we want to be thorough on this.
Dead Space already has that covered.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
I haven't played the game but as far as I can see this is pretty standard treatment for religions and mythologies in the games industry. You look at a religion/mythology, take note of the cool shit you find and then add your own take on it.

As I'm not that bothered about religion, this is about as far as I like them to go with religion as a theme. It'll take a games design genius to figure out how to make the peaceful image most religions project work well in a game.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
Hal10k said:
Okay. Asura's Wrath has us covered on Hinduism. Games like Dante's Inferno and Darksiders incorporate elements from Christianity. Prince of Persia takes at least a few superficial elements from Islam. Games have been borrowing from the ideas of Buddhist monks & Tao philosophy for years. Pokemon is essentially Shinto, and every robots-fighting-humanity story borrows from the Jewish folktale of the Rabbi's golem.

Prince of Persia does not have any elements of Islam, the Forgotten Sands and the Solomon Army plot is not related to Islam(the Quranic version of Prophet Solomon is different). It has elements of 1001 Nights/Arabian Nights and some of those,(I think mainly Sindbad and Ali Baba) had some Islamic morals and the last(proper) game had the moral "turn the other cheek" when facing the last boss.
I know; there are very few games with overtly Islamic themes that are very widely known. It was the closest I could think of for the sake of the list.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Hal10k said:
Dead Space?
The Saints Row series also has the Church of Philositology. Not to mention the Hubologists in Fallout 2.

Joel Bridge

Feb 26, 2012
Aeriath said:
I haven't played the game but as far as I can see this is pretty standard treatment for religions and mythologies in the games industry. You look at a religion/mythology, take note of the cool shit you find and then add your own take on it.

As I'm not that bothered about religion, this is about as far as I like them to go with religion as a theme. It'll take a games design genius to figure out how to make the peaceful image most religions project work well in a game.
From his view got butchering symoblic and comic relationship mean of thought being. It fun insane but most america would getting mind how hinduism can have 305 million gods and at same no gods. That call The Sankhya system. The Goal in hinduism is break the attachment to breaking the maya come from ignorance, so they true nature of everthing, Once they do this they become one with the Brahman, that Brahman is the eternal, infinite,unkowable, sexless timless totally umpersonal true/ everthing and nothing.