Hindus Want Smite Out of QuakeCon

MrMunchies

Mar 6, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogame makers should be more sensitive while handling faith related subjects, as these games left lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people," Zed added.
Let me put this on another perspective :

"Religious groups should be more sensitive while handling faith related subjects, as these can leave a lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people."

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
BUT IT OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME! MY OFFENSE MATTERS OH SO MUCH!

Oh for the love of pumpernickel get over yourself.
IF IT OFFENDS YOU DONT LOOK AT IT/PLAY IT.

Family Guy and American Dad offend me so I DONT WATCH THEM.

These people who think their offense lets them dictate EVERYTHING.
If it offends you dont take part in it.

Please Quakecon, just tell them to grow up.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Don't they have anything else to do other than harass Hi-rez? Seriously, this is growing old. What do they get from this? What happens after Kali's been taken out of Smite? Geez... Waste of bloody time.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
We should all just buy 10 copies of this game because of the all the QQ-ing that's going on.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
haukotus said:
Don't they have anything else to do other than harass Hi-rez? Seriously, this is growing old. What do they get from this? What happens after Kali's been taken out of Smite? Geez... Waste of bloody time.
Most likely, they'll sue the makers over wasting their time and probably win.

Also: Digital Devil Saga.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
To quote the Count of Monte Cristo, "I'll make you a deal: You keep calling out to your god for help, and I'll stop the moment he shows up."

Personally I think if they're going to get this gung-ho about it, they should put their vedas where their mouth is and hold out for divine intervention. Either that, or grow up a bit and learn to appreciate the freedom of expression. Personally I think I'd be more prone as a Christian to actually give Smite a whirl if there was an option to kick ass as Jesus.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
This is getting ridiculous. A majority of them will never even see the game, even if they do, they can just....guess what...it's a surprise, not buy it!

You don't agree with the way something is portrayed? Then, don't buy it and don't deal with it.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
You give these people a hand and they bite your whole arm.

What this association needs to understand is that their gods are a part of the pop culture, so developers, writers and directors are gonna use them as influence. I'm a Christian, but I'm not gonna spam every project that uses the Image of Christ in a way that I don't agree with, I'm just not going to support it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I keep telling you people:
Give these religious people an inch and they'll try and take a mile.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
JokerboyJordan said:
I'm sorry, but when your beliefs are as outdated and ridiculous as Pantheism then you deserve to have your Religion trivialised. I see no outrage over the Greek or Norse pantheons, so Hinduism deserves no better treatment.
Because there aren't tens of millions (hundreds even?) followers of the Norse and Greek religions. That's all the difference that matters. Besides, what makes pantheism any more ridiculous than monotheism? It sure is a lot more fun.
Tanis said:
I keep telling you people:
Give these religious people an inch and they'll try and take a mile.
Yup, that's what people already said in the first topic in which Hi-Rez already promised the things they did. And tadaa; all you folks are proven right. It still ain't enough and it will never be.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogame makers should be more sensitive while handling faith related subjects, as these games left lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people," Zed added.
To be highly un-PC: Religious people should be more sensitive while handling made-up fairy-tale related subjects, as made-up fairy-tales have lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people.

Seriously though, it's majorly hypocritical to condemn an openly fictional video game for being a bad influence to children while at the same time shoving religious garbage down their throats and claiming it's all real and factual.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
So uhh.....did these people just completely sleep through Asura's Wrath?
They didnt, they levelled complaints at Durga. In the Hindu mythos shes a war goddess, in Asura's Wrath, she is basically a housewife and exists only to be killed off less than an hour into the game.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
JokerboyJordan said:
I'm sorry, but when your beliefs are as outdated and ridiculous as Pantheism then you deserve to have your Religion trivialised. I see no outrage over the Greek or Norse pantheons, so Hinduism deserves no better treatment.
Because there aren't tens of millions (hundreds even?) followers of the Norse and Greek religions. That's all the difference that matters. Besides, what makes pantheism any more ridiculous than monotheism? It sure is a lot more fun.
Actually the Asura's Wrath article states an estimated billion Hindus, mostly in India anyway, the country with a caste system and a shortage of decent toilets.
Oh it's not necessarily more ridiculous in principle, it certainly is more fun, that's why Pantheons are always interesting to make games out of.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
why don't we just let hi-rez set up the games, if the the Hindu gods have a problem with it I'm sure they will do something about it.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Seems like a good idea. I say this because if we are going to try not to offend people who might fight young Kratos violent against men AND women, then why not be sensitive to other peoples needs?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
JokerboyJordan said:
As trivial as I see this whole afair, why is the specific idea of a Pantheon silly? Personally, I've always found Pantheons to be a lot more interesting in terms of Religious beliefs, I don't believe any of it, but would you be saying the same thing about Monotheistic religions?

Edit: Oh nevermind, you already answered someone else on that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sorry, guys. If I have to put up with the likes of Black and White, Doom, Nocturne, Far Cry 2, and (possibly?) Silent Hill, games which have potentially flawed depictions of religious imagery I identify with, then you can damn well put up with it too.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You know hi-rez might cave in order to look good and to try and not offend anyone, but now your asking someone who is closer to your average gamer to listen to you. Your average gamers doesn't give two fucks. In fact your average gamer will probably do the opposite out of spite. Your protests fall on deaf ears.