Hindus Want Smite Out of QuakeCon

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
Cheesus Eych Chraist. Have any of you read the one-liners from this game? Absolute horseshit, I must say.

Hel:
Light voice: "Oh, why can't I keep a boyfriend?"
Dark voice: "Because you're ugly and you let people run all over you."
Light voice: "Why are you so mean?"
Sun Wukong:
"Go away monkey haters. Sun Wukong rules here."
Hades:
"Note to self: bring home bones of enemies for Cerberus to chew upon."
Ra:
"Time for your daily dose of vitamin D... struction."
Bakasura:
*Burps* "Just making room for you."

And that is just one from each religion. Not that it offends me, it just dumbs down and Americanizes the gods, making them shitty.

Fuck. Ruins an interesting game.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
So did these people just pop up like a year ago or something since I swear I've heard of games that have used the Hindu deities many times before this.
Yeah every single final fantasy game evar... since the first one... they've had a deus from pretty much every major religion... and they get more fucked up in every game... hell in the last final fantasy Shiva was two people who transformed into a motorcycle that can materialze ice... not making this up...<.<

OT: I see no problem with this... It should be treated as any other form of public domain fiction... and henceforth we should have full access to reuse and repurpose it's characters and stories...<.<

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
aksel said:
Hades:
"Note to self: bring home bones of enemies for Cerberus to chew upon."
I know it's probably justme but I said Hades's line in the voice of James Woods... you know the guy who voiced Hades in the Disney movie...<.<

Jun 11, 2008
I love it when the Escapist reads like r/atheism with a dash of the /b/. Also this is not censorship and I can't believe people are still going on about that. They are stating their feelings in a composed and respectful manner while trying to get something they disagree with changed. You know the way you're supposed to act? This is hardly the Westboro Baptist Church so stop treating them like it. Regardless, of how ridiculous what they want is at least they are going about it the right way.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Frankly, every image of Kali is her barely clothed...at least in the game's version, she isn't wearing a belt of heads, for fuck sakes.

If anything, it's an improvement.

I seriously wish these guys would stop bending to people who WILL NOT AND HAVE NO INTENTION OF BUYING THEIR GAME.

Captcha: downward slope

Fitting!

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
robert01 said:
So what exactly are they complaining about here?

The violence? The sexualization of them?

(SNIP)

Here is Shiva from FFVIII I didn't see a shitstorm then.
The thing is that space-chick Shiva from FF VIII had pretty much nothing to do with Shiva the Eternal and the Purest of the Hindu flavour of the batshit crazy insane, yet still interesting, inspiring and beautiful thing that is religion.

Also, FF VIII's pretty random Shiva interpretation by some Jap folks who just by their very nature do not give a damn about offending anyone was somewhat hidden inside the game, as opposed to, say, the Brahmin two-headed bovines of Fallout or the various attempts to have a jolly good go at that Mohammed dude.

My take on it is this: PC and other anomalies of the brain are currently still going strong, even though they seem to be somewhat stable. With most religions being noticeably under threat by, say, atheism/communism and Islam, it's only natural to have a look at what proponents of these very vocal groups are doing and trying to get a share of the attention and the airtime they get.

I know I want to play as Kali, as I think it's one kick-ass concept and one of the bits that's painfully absent from castrated and undermined Christendom these days. But then again I also want to play as Mohammed and farm shit up, so I might not yet find fulfillment.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
RaikuFA said:
Most likely, they'll sue the makers over wasting their time and probably win.

Also: Digital Devil Saga.
Well, if they'd do that I guess I could see a point in all this...

And yeah, wonder why they've let Mr. Shin Megami freely spread the evil and blasphemy all this time with no repercussions. It must have something to do with the way the whole game as a concept is so bizarre that Shin Megami Tensei frightens them or something...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
TheTygre said:
OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Guys! C'mon! I went to bat for you! This really is going too far. Now look, they took Kali out of the advertisements, they acquiesced to your complaints, and now you want the whole game gone.
Actually, I think they wanted Kali out of the game completely, not just out of the advertisements. That being said, they should still go jump in a vat of acid for all I care about how offended they are.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
cidbahamut said:
Be offended.

Then shut the hell up because the game industry doesn't owe you a damn thing.

I'm so tired of these thin-skinned idiots.
Couldn't agree more.

Why should anyone listen to a bunch of primitive religious zealots? No one is forcing you to play the game for fuck sake. Why do people have this irresistible urge to force their backwards opinion on everybody else?

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
umm... do they even attend quakecon? oh yeah, and...
"Videogame makers should be more sensitive while handling faith related subjects, as these games left lasting impact on the minds of highly impressionable children, teens and other young people,"
so does religion, yet you dont see nobody trying to forbid children from having a religion. or do we?

see, thats what you get for giving up a finger - they'll bite your hand off.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
While I feel that these people have every right to request the removal of Smite, I have every right to call them morons for doing so. In a game where you literally have gods duking it out, no religion should be off limits.

And once again, god help us if they find out about Shin Megami Tensei.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Hinduism, you used to be the cool, laid back guy. Stop trying to whine as much as Christianity and Islam. They've established themselves as jerks, just back awaaaaay.

You were cool man, I respected you.

...But seriously. This whine fest needs to stop. People getting indignant on behalf of their Gods as if these mighty deities can't defend themselves. 'Gods' huh.
Y'know someone made fun of my imaginary friend Jerry when I was little. I just cried. :\

If I'd known I could have started a movement by calling him the ALL SEEING, ALL KNOWING, Holy Jerry!
Man...

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
typical these hindu's have been given an inch so now they're trying to take a mile. Personally I find religions more robust and legitimate when they can poke fun at themselves or allow the mickey taken out of them, shows maturity not to be offended by every little thing.

Besides with their logic I could just as easily say their religion offends me therefore they should be censored because they don't respect my beliefs.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Obviously, the solution here is to add moar deities. Leave no one out to be offended.

Captcha: cop an attitude
Yes.

BanZeus

May 29, 2010
I look forward to the day religion becomes a recognized mental illness and these people can get the help they need.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
ccdohl said:
Oh Hindus, Christians, Muslims, and everyone else! If you don't like a product, just don't buy it! It can't be pleasant to always have your knickers in a twist because of people who don't think the same way that you do. Unbunch your drawers and carry on with your lives.
That does tend to be the reaction of the vast majority of Christians, Hindus, and American Muslims. The press just likes to focus on the angry group because it's hard to write an article about all the churches that are just ignoring it. Remember all those articles about how Hindus weren't angry about the names of the Final Fantasy Summons?

aattss

May 13, 2012
The only thing I would see to complain about would be the over-sexualization, but that's a chronic problem faced by a big portion of the mainstream media.

Shuguard said:
Fappy said:
I can't believe I have been following this story for weeks and just now realized the developer is based in Alpharetta. I could drive to their HQ in 10 minutes o_O
Haha i could drive there too they are only like 5-10 miles away. :p
but OT: don't cave Quakecon and high-res. Caving is not cool.
Yep. I first noticed when signing up for the beta and noticing that I met the criteria for on-site testing.

Edit:

I just took around half a minute to brainstorm what Christian deities would be. I could see God, Lucifer, Archangels (One whose name I couldn't remember), and I'm not sure who else, but the bible has a lot of options (i.e. Goliath, Solomon, anyone else)