Historical periods that are barely ever explored in games

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
jackpipsam said:
World War One.

We have lots of WW2 games, but not much of the first world war.

Also with WW2 games, I would love to see some RPGs or something, like village life or whatever during the war.
Not just more shooters.
Agreed. I would love to see some COD/Battlefield/Spec-OPs:The Line that are focused on WW1 and allows you to fight in the trenches. Imagine being a British soldier who has never heard of the flamethrower before and he sees that on the battlefield? Or what about a German soldier that sees what appears to be a moving hill in the distance, only to his horror to find out that the "moving hill" is in fact a tank coming right towards him. That's not to mention the use of chemical weapons that soldiers would have to avoid or the dogfights between biplanes that the game could also focus on.

Philip Morgan

Dec 18, 2012
There are a lot of great suggestions everyone has put forth. I think a part of the problem is the eras we as Americans are used to seeing in gaming (Greece, Rome and WW2) are because in many high schools those three periods of history are what is covered most in history class, so that the average consumer not interested or versed in world history can easily recognize a game set in those periods, also it makes it easier for designers to pitch a game idea to investors (who want monetary returns, not a lesson on the Crimean War). And I say Americans again because we're a major market for video game consumption and production, so studios may want to cater to things the average consumer recognizes. I'd like to see development studios outside the U.S. work on a game set in one of these periods; they might have a better chance of getting traction for it more than domestic studios. And yes, the games we do get often are highly mythologized and not often are they historically accurate.
The best thing might be to send these suggestions along to studios you like en masse, show them that there is interest in seeing these settings in game form. Someone might just decide to give them a chance.

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
I'd love to see something set in Shaka-era south Africa, a horror game in WWI, or anything set in the Siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s.

Biggest siege of a capital in modern history, and yet untouched by a medium that could do it justice.

Edward Armstrong

Sep 3, 2013
I would honestly have to say 99% of history. If you got a timeline of human history and marked on it all the periods which you have seen appear in video games, nearly all of it would be left unmarked. I wish there were more games set in the real world that weren't all set in the same places at the same times. And if a developer wants fantasy, not real life, why not try something like Darklands occasionally? That game had a brilliant premise, although I can't really recommend it other than that unfortunately. http://www.gog.com/game/darklands

Also, while some periods are used a lot, there are aspects of them that have been left untouched. Take Ancient Rome for example. We've all seen the military a thousand times, but, as I'm sure anybody with a reasonable knowledge of the classical world will agree,there is so much that hasn't been touched on.

The problem is, while these periods of history are fascinating, you have the conundrum of how to turn them into a game. Archaic Greece may well be a really interesting time to read about and study, but what type of game could you set there that would be even remotely historically accurate? A film or a book, certainly, but a video game is much more difficult. Why are there loads and loads of WW2 games but hardly any WW1 games? Because WW2 had aerial assaults, night raids, beach landings and other, exciting, cinematic experiences (terrifying and horrific in real life obviously, but you know what I mean) which lend themselves perfectly to a video game. What would you do in a WW1 game? Sit in a trench, occasionally go over the top and die. Not exactly what you look for in a good game. I'm not saying developers shouldn't try, I'm just pointing out why many of them probably don't.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
neokiva said:
you're trolling right, please say you are. because if you aren't where have you been pretty much all of call of duty and medal of honor was set in that period of time, castle wolfenstein, battlefield 1946, secret weapons over normandy and world war zero to name the few i remember.
Well this is awkward...

See, every game you just mentioned takes place in World War 2. I was talking about World War 1. Please tell me you do realize there's a difference between WW1 and 2, a very big difference in fact.

Here, this is a pretty good look at it:

Like I said earlier I envision a horror game in that setting, maybe pulling a Spec Ops style 'growing surrealism' as the game goes on. The players character losing their grip on reality, distorting what the player sees and hears. Things growing darker, more horrifying.

If done well it could be a real eye-opener for some people out there who might never have really thought about the first World War.

genghisKwong

Nov 4, 2013
How about something based off the time of the Black Plague? I don't believe it's something that's ever been in a game. There's lots of different gameplay perspectives with the black plague as a an antagonist. It can work so long as the developers don't turn it into a zombie game.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
neokiva said:
thewatergamer said:
World War 1 and 2 are barely ever touched to my knowledge, never understood why
sigh do your research medal of honor and call of duty to name the two most popular it's only recently that they started all this modern warfare crap.
Uhh I believe I already posted with a clarification that I meant games outside of the Spunkgargleweewee genre

Also I am more specifically talking about WWI as it seems to never be explored to my knowledge

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
mirage202 said:
I think the issue with WW1 is the setting/genre. You can either make an FPS or TPS which everyone and their mother is doing right now, or RTS/TBS yet moving your little dudes from one trench and ordering them to dig another one a few yards ahead doesn't really make for compelling game play.

This is one of those times I would have to say mass appeal is actually a good thing, I would hate for an excellent game set in an obscure time period to go ignored and possibly fail massively because of that. Mass appeal is why we have so many games based on the Romans, Greeks and times like WW2, everyone knows about these things.

How many Americans do you think give a damn about the Crimean war or the battle of Agincourt? How many Europeans really care about Chinese or ancient Egyptian history? (Dynasty Warriors is a fluke in my humble opinion.)

The only real way to appeal to the masses in any form of unknown historical context is to make what appears to be a generic fantasy/medieval world with hidden nods to actual events.

All that said though I am excited for anything that showcases late Republican/Imperial Rome so I suppose I don't miss out all that much. More so through fascination with the Legions than anything else but also due to the Romans having a standard of living that wasn't again reached until the last couple hundred years or so, due to Reasons? (Not suitable for discussion in this forum section).
YOu do know that one other fronts the war were quite actve and rapidly moving. After the tank was introduced, the war started moving quite rapidly again.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
I can definitely get behind a WW1 horror game. A setting where the killing of human beings becomes industrialised makes for a truly horrifying concept, made all the worse by the fact that it actually happened. Coupled with the poor understanding of the psychology of stress and trauma of the military institutions of the time, and a very cold, unforgiving world emerges.

Of course, a carefully constructed publicity campaign would be required to indicate that this is not just another Call of Duty FPS churnout (warning: wall of text narrative follows, written by a less than capable author):
I can imagine a TV ad showing a garish FPS with Halo style gameplay; a bright world featuring huge, futuristic weapons and many bizarre aliens that are gunned down in droves as the player dodges leaps and strafes his way around them all. The camera then pans out, showing a young man (no more than 18-19) is the one playing the game in an average, modern middle class household. In the background, an older woman (implied to be the mother) is sorting through mail. when she comes to one of the letters, she stops, shock clear on her face. The son gets up and comes to see what the matter is, and is equally shocked to see the letter.
This leads into a brief montage where the the son goes through 1910's military training, with every jump cut causing the palette to lose contrast and become greyer and bleaker. Eventually, you see the son in a trench; almost all colour is washed out by this point. It has been snowing heavily, and he is clearly struggling to keep warm. He looks up as he hears a whistle blow on the distance, and he moves to a ladder on the trench wall.
Here, the camera shifts back into first person. The young man's Lee Enfield rifle looks pitifully small in his hands compared to the weapons in the videogame, and his movements are clearly not that of the agile superhuman he controlled earlier. The order to advance is given; walking pace is explicitly demanded by the officer. Still in first person, the ladder is climbed, and the viewer can see the hellish shape of no man's land for the first time. Snow, mud, craters and barbed wire stretch out in all directions like some demented garden. the charred and broken remains of a wood can be seen, as can the ruin of a church, with perhaps only one or two walls left partially standing. In the distance is the German trench system, a dark line that seems so very distant. After the first few steps, the artillery begins firing, but the officer still barks his insistence on a walking pace. Eventually, the shells begin to land; men are engulfed in columns of rising earth, others are sent flying; screams are heard in all directions. the camera pans around this scene of horror, Lee Enfield still just visible in the bottom of the shot. Finally, a louder whistling is heard and the camera snaps forward just in time to see a shell detonate right in front. For a split second, a cascade of filth fills the screen, before a snap cut to black.
The main problem I could see facing this game is public reaction. Here in the UK, the First World War is incredibly culturally significant; the date of the signing of the armistice treaty is unilaterally shown respect across the entire country, and by all levels of society. Do you remember the Skyrim release date was 11/11/11? Some people I know were deeply unsettled that a company would use this date to sell a product, let alone one that (at least appears to) endorse violence. I think that facing this level of reaction within Europe may cause large publishers to avoid taking up this project like the plague, regardless of what the actual message of the game may be.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I would love a game based on the American Revolution...

I was hoping Assassin's Creed III was going to do it well, but instead it was sooooooooo boring I quit after a couple missions. I want a game to be all "'Murica" but you know, still being realistic to the setting.

I'm just flashing back now to elementry school and reading Johnny Trumain and learning about benjamin franklin.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Josh Ward said:
NoeL said:
Damn, that was going to be my pick. Specifically around really ancient history before they became largely nomadic, back when they built the cities and temples 20th century archaeologists ascribed to some lost race (because clearly blacks are way too primitive to have built them). Other than that, Mesopotamia doesn't seem to come up much outside the Prince of Persia games.
You know Mesopotamia is Iraq, not in Africa, right? (Sorry for being that guy) But yeah, games set in the Middle East or Africa would be interesting. Potentially India could be interesting too but I don't know much about Indian history/if there are games about it already, for whether they would be worthwhile
Yes I know. When I said "Other than that..." I was saying "Other than Africa..." And Mesopotamia isn't just Iraq, it's a whole region in the Middle East.

Westaway said:
Going to need a source on these cities and temples the Africans built.
Sure thing: [click me] [http://bit.ly/HEa7Ff]

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
How about a racing game set in the prewar era? Back then, the cars were powerful and incredibly unsafe, and races were held on everything from wild arrays of public roads to high-speed ovals paved with bricks or wooden boards. It would be a stark departure from every racing game on the market, and would provide a showcase for some of the world's great forgotten race tracks, like AVUS and Pescara, not to mention the legendary prewar race cars. I'm thinking you could convey the danger of the era through some sort of crazy permadeath mechanic. If done correctly, it would be incredibly intense.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
A pet peeve of mine is that people say that Feudal Japan is over done, when it clearly isn't, at least not to me. The games that come to mind upon hearing those words are the Shogun Total War series and Okami, nothing else.
I thought fuedal japan overdone a few years ago, playstation-xbox-ps2 had alot of games with that. Spyro, soul calibour and other mainstream games had elements of it, there was a decent amount of game a bit harder to find as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_set_in_feudal_Japan thats a list of know games based in the era.

As for the time frame.. Something before man, revolving around different climates and with many species playable. Sometime before man and after dinosaurs.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Deshara said:
As a general reply to a lot of people asking why pre-Roman europe or, really, pre-roman anything isn't really depicted is because, according to our culture, it didn't exist. Of sure, it happened, it'll admit grudgingly, but those weren't really human beings, because real human beings are shy about sex, force eachother into labor for our own benefit and work ourselves to death to sustain a hierarchical society.

It was once explained to me in something along these lines. Imagine the nazis won. They beat the british, conquered the UK and wiped out the english. Then they wiped out the french, and then the italians, and eventually managed to conquer russia and wiped them out too. Then they conquered and wiped out the chinese and the japanese and the indonesians and eventually even all of the americas and conquered the entire globe and wiped out everybody who wasn't a german nazi.
Of course, because nazi-ism, by its very nature, depends upon dehumanising non-nazis, eventually the history lessons taught within the new world order would cease to go into any level of detail of what it was like to live in america or china or japan pre-WW2. Their history lessons would simply go "A long time ago, humans came into being. They evolved out of apes, and then a million years later, in the furtile crescent, they suddenly learned how to farm and so the whole world began to farm because it was so much better than being a beast foraging in the wild, and then ten thousand years later some people in what we now call New Berlin discovered Nazi-ism, and then suddenly the whole world saw how wonderful it was to be a Nazi and quickly converted themselves because it was such a beautiful thing."
Then, one day, a guy named Fritz saw his friend Hanz at the game shop and said 'Hanz, do you ever wonder why we never see any games about the barbarians before the glorious cleansing of the world?'
And the answer, to us, is glaringly obvious; because the nazis don't see the barbarians before the cleansing of the world as also being human beings, because they define the default state of human existance as being a nazi, and therefor see anything that came before as being distinctly non-human.
The only difference between that example and what we live in today is that my example is made up.
That and its total lack of relationship to reality. The reason why we don't talk much about anything pre-Roman is that we don't really *know* much about the pre-Roman peoples (power spheres outside of Roman influence excepted, we know plenty about China in the same time period). Lots of things got written down, but unless it was written on stone, or a clay tablet that was in a fire, little of it survived, nobody copied these things when the old scrolls fell apart. It's not until the Greeks we really get historians in the west, and they often sucked at their jobs (to be fair, they also invented their jobs, you expect some rough patches). Throw in the Romans conquering a *massive* amount of the world and lasting nearly 2 millennia as a world power and suddenly we have all sorts of knowledge about what went on during Roman history, what we knew about the Gauls before archaeologists got involved was basically the things Caeser wrote about (and he is not to be entirely trusted here, this stuff was propeganda for the voters). The Nazis were not about to destroy everything they had on Roman history (hell, propaganda relating to the might of the German race *depended* on Roman history).

If you were to describe the way humans have lived for 99% of human existance, they would say something along the lines of "communism sounds like a utopia, but it would never work in real life," which is always a line that makes me want to ring myself inside out.
Spoiler alert: The soviet union was never communist
Neither was 99% of human existence, the Soviet Union was *much* closer related, in that its system is at least derived from communism and exists within the large population structures and industrial society that communism supposed.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
jackpipsam said:
World War One.

We have lots of WW2 games, but not much of the first world war.

Also with WW2 games, I would love to see some RPGs or something, like village life or whatever during the war.
Not just more shooters.
No you don't, it basically goes like this: Somebody blows up the bridge to stop the Germans, the Germans then shell your village as a reprisal. Play again? Civilians got fucked in both those wars.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Zetona said:
How about a racing game set in the prewar era? Back then, the cars were powerful and incredibly unsafe, and races were held on everything from wild arrays of public roads to high-speed ovals paved with bricks or wooden boards. It would be a stark departure from every racing game on the market, and would provide a showcase for some of the world's great forgotten race tracks, like AVUS and Pescara, not to mention the legendary prewar race cars. I'm thinking you could convey the danger of the era through some sort of crazy permadeath mechanic. If done correctly, it would be incredibly intense.
All I can see is some Italian guy (lookalike Wario) throw a bannana peel and make some old car flip like mario cart. Good Idea though Id buy that! Still would love a Kosovo war game though :p

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
How about the norse "colonization" of the americas? It would be a city builder/rts. You´d take control of a tiny norse camp in north america and then it would be up to you to make this camp thrive into a trading post, a fortress, a city, a nation, etc. Do you establish peaceful trading relations with your neighbours or do you send out your longships? Do you isolate yourself from these barbarians or do you open yourself up and slowly adapt to the native culture and religion? Protect yourself against invasion, plague and the wrath of the gods (natural disasters). Will you turn the tides of history and establish a great norse empire in the americas or will you perish, leaving behind only trinkets for arceologists?