Hobbit Casting Agent Fired For Dismissing Non-White Hobbits

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Vrach said:
Fasckira said:
I get the impression the agent has been fired to save PR. Hobbits are all white, simple as - its not a racist thing but a point of fact.
^This. That's a pile of shit, I really hate this racism bandwagon everyone seems to be jumping on. Discriminating by height is fine but discriminating by skin colour is racist? Fuck off.
Basically these points.

Hobbits are caucasian, dammit!

Edit: Reminds me of those "Black James Bond" rumors...

Feb 13, 2008
JDKJ said:
Ahem, there's a library full of scholarly research that suggests Tolkien's Gollum was inspired by the Golem of Jewish folklore.

See, for example, http://www.taylor.edu/dotAsset/57599.pdf
from the PDF said:
Gollum got his name from the sound he made when he spoke, "the horrible swallowing sound in his throat."
The research suggests that's one of the possible sources for his name. That doesn't make him Jewish. Especially as the Golem itself wasn't Jewish, just powered by Jewish faith.

Mr Pump [http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Pump] certainly isn't Jewish.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Is the next casting agent going to be fired for not allowing a woman to audition for the role of Gandalf?

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Some people just need to wine about everything, they did it for RE5 and now they are doing it for this, they just need to sit down, shut up, and enjoy the darn movie.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
I don't know which group of people is whinier: the dark-skinned actors who don't get to be Hobbits, or the people in this thread. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.
Try not to swear so much! You can easily make your point without heinous writing!
Nawh swearing emphasises the point better than just saying it.
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.
Whilst I agree that if Hobbits are always described as white then it makes sense to have that in the outlines (I didn't know they were, but whatever), the way you've put across your point - and especially the sentiment in your last 2 lines - leave the impression that you're a total pig.

I would go over the whole thing about how you can be black (or any colour) and British but I get the feeling my virtual breath would be wasted.

OT: I think the issue seems to arise from the man having done this himself when perhaps the director/producer's intention was to simply have multi-racial Hobbits (burn them, they're deviating from the books ever-so-slightly, etc.).
It's not about being British at all. So I don't know where you got that from.
Oh, I dunno, maybe it was the "I'll buy you a ticket back to Africa" part, which you so charmingly phrased. It doesn't even make sense to write that after talking about a director searching for Africans to play Africans (surely they'd do that in Africa then?).

I seriously wouldn't have been surprised if the next thing to come out of your mouth was about them "taking our jobs".
They aren't taking our jobs. Our jobs have already been taken o_o

BY THEM!
I fucking hope you're joking.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
PayJ567 said:
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:

EDIT: Don't quote me saying what I said is racist as it is not.
Shut up PayJ, we all know you're a ******-loving traitor to your race. One day me and the Klan will come pay you a visit.

EDIT: Don't quote me saying what I said is racist as I will lynch you.
Fuck you honky. I'll clap clap you up with my .45

Me and my home dawgs will fuck you and your po po bitches.

EDIT: If you gunna quote me dawg you better be ready for some black heaters in your face.

[sub]Amazing the lingo you can pick up from GTA San andreas.[/sub]
*sniff, sniff* Yep, thought I smelled an "internet gangsta."

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:

Try not to swear so much! You can easily make your point without heinous writing!
Nawh swearing emphasises the point better than just saying it.
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:

Whilst I agree that if Hobbits are always described as white then it makes sense to have that in the outlines (I didn't know they were, but whatever), the way you've put across your point - and especially the sentiment in your last 2 lines - leave the impression that you're a total pig.

I would go over the whole thing about how you can be black (or any colour) and British but I get the feeling my virtual breath would be wasted.

OT: I think the issue seems to arise from the man having done this himself when perhaps the director/producer's intention was to simply have multi-racial Hobbits (burn them, they're deviating from the books ever-so-slightly, etc.).
It's not about being British at all. So I don't know where you got that from.
Oh, I dunno, maybe it was the "I'll buy you a ticket back to Africa" part, which you so charmingly phrased. It doesn't even make sense to write that after talking about a director searching for Africans to play Africans (surely they'd do that in Africa then?).

I seriously wouldn't have been surprised if the next thing to come out of your mouth was about them "taking our jobs".
They aren't taking our jobs. Our jobs have already been taken o_o

BY THEM!
I fucking hope you're joking.
I fear there's no joking involved. Just a heaping pile of ignorance.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
JDKJ said:
Ahem, there's a library full of scholarly research that suggests Tolkien's Gollum was inspired by the Golem of Jewish folklore.

See, for example, http://www.taylor.edu/dotAsset/57599.pdf
from the PDF said:
Gollum got his name from the sound he made when he spoke, "the horrible swallowing sound in his throat."
The research suggests that's one of the possible sources for his name. That doesn't make him Jewish. Especially as the Golem itself wasn't Jewish, just powered by Jewish faith.

Mr Pump [http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Pump] certainly isn't Jewish.
You'll notice that I said "for example" when providing just one authority. There are other authorities that don't take the "one among many influences" position but, rather, take a "sole influence" position. Do I need to provide additional authorities or can you do your own research?

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Discriminate (verb) - to recognize or perceive the difference, marked by the ability to see or make fine distinctions.

Yeah. That's what casting agents do for a living. I can't get a job playing a buff action hero in a Hollywood blockbuster because I'm pasty and overweight. It'd never play, so I don't get the part because its largely recognized that there are certain archetypes for these parts, and I don't fit them.

Playing devil's advocate, though, the Shire has always been that place of ideal, innocent (near ignorant) living. In contrast to the "outside world", which is consumed with warfare, politics, and strife, the Shire is meant to serve as that beacon of hope to the characters and the audience familiar with it. It also makes a good start to "the hero's journey" and the character growth contained therein.

It actually makes more sense to me to have multi-cultural hobbits in this regard. I personally believe that society will never be rid of prejudice (I'm not going into my opinion on this further, but it stems from conflict and social identity theories in sociology and psychology). Because of this, a multi-cultural utopia is perfect for the Shire. Particularly when we get to compare it to the racism inherent at the end of the book, where lines are drawn between Dwarves, Elves, and Men who are all competing for the wealth left in the dragon's hoard.

I'm not sure if the director considered this angle, but it's an interesting enough premise that I would support any endeavor to do so. Even if it meant a slight departure from the source material I love.