Mar 18, 2009
PayJ567 said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.

EDIT: Don't quote me saying what I said is racist as it is not.
Shut up PayJ, we all know you're a ******-loving traitor to your race. One day me and the Klan will come pay you a visit.

EDIT: Don't quote me saying what I said is racist as I will lynch you.
Fuck you honky. I'll clap clap you up with my .45

Me and my home dawgs will fuck you and your po po bitches.

EDIT: If you gunna quote me dawg you better be ready for some black heaters in your face.

[sub]Amazing the lingo you can pick up from GTA San andreas.[/sub]
*sniff, sniff* Yep, thought I smelled an "internet gangsta."
JDKJ said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:
Fucking load of mother fucking horse shit. If they did a film about Africa and they where asked to find Africans it wouldn't be racist. THIS IS FUCKING HORSESHIT. You need white people to play the hobbit you need fucking black people to play black people.

You're not being discriminated against, if discrimination is such a big problem for you why don't you fuck off back to Africa I'll even pay for your fucking ticket.
Try not to swear so much! You can easily make your point without heinous writing!
Nawh swearing emphasises the point better than just saying it.
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:

Whilst I agree that if Hobbits are always described as white then it makes sense to have that in the outlines (I didn't know they were, but whatever), the way you've put across your point - and especially the sentiment in your last 2 lines - leave the impression that you're a total pig.

I would go over the whole thing about how you can be black (or any colour) and British but I get the feeling my virtual breath would be wasted.

OT: I think the issue seems to arise from the man having done this himself when perhaps the director/producer's intention was to simply have multi-racial Hobbits (burn them, they're deviating from the books ever-so-slightly, etc.).
It's not about being British at all. So I don't know where you got that from.
Oh, I dunno, maybe it was the "I'll buy you a ticket back to Africa" part, which you so charmingly phrased. It doesn't even make sense to write that after talking about a director searching for Africans to play Africans (surely they'd do that in Africa then?).

I seriously wouldn't have been surprised if the next thing to come out of your mouth was about them "taking our jobs".
They aren't taking our jobs. Our jobs have already been taken o_o

BY THEM!
I fucking hope you're joking.
I fear there's no joking involved. Just a heaping pile of ignorance.
It's all fun and games man.
It's weird way to amuse yourself, I think, but whatever floats your boat.
Well your sitting at a computer doing the exact same thing. So dawg check yo self before you wreck yo'self.

TOOO LATE OH YOU GOT PWNNNNNNN'D.
OH NO SHE DDN'T! I felt that pwnage all the way from Africa. Me and all the black hobbits wuz like "nigga wut".
Then we went hunting.
zala-taichou said:
And I quote LotR page 4:

"Before the crossing of the mountains the Hobbits had already become divided into three somewhat different breeds: Harfoots, Stoors and Fallohides. The Harfoots were browner of skin, smaller and shorter,..."
Brown, not black. If they were black it would've gone something like this

"Before the crossing of the mountains the Hobbits had already become divided into three somewhat different breeds: Harfoots, Stoors and Fallohides. The Harfoots were dark of skin, kind of like a sort of chocolate colour - but not dark chocolate,because that's racist... But I digress..."

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Christ I wish people would stop saying things are racist. If he is'nt re hired I will have to kill a kitten.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Thus the nerd rage builds up in me...So close...to bursting.

Fuckin' A. Like, really? I hate all topics about this. Maybe this person needs to go read the fucking book before they apply for an acting job in the damn movie.

TipsyPeaches

Aug 3, 2009
Tolkien himself said when he wrote the stuff that a lot of the families of hobbits were from regions akin to those in Britain (The Tooks for example were based on Scots, that's why Pippin's ginger; they're even supposed to have invented a game something like golf). If you're being true to the actual material, then yes, most the hobbits are going to be pale-skinned; the population of Britain just wasn't as diverse in Tolkien's time as it is now.
These sorts of things always get blown out of proportion.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
JDKJ said:
Ahem, there's a library full of scholarly research that suggests Tolkien's Gollum was inspired by the Golem of Jewish folklore.

See, for example, http://www.taylor.edu/dotAsset/57599.pdf
from the PDF said:
Gollum got his name from the sound he made when he spoke, "the horrible swallowing sound in his throat."
The research suggests that's one of the possible sources for his name. That doesn't make him Jewish. Especially as the Golem itself wasn't Jewish, just powered by Jewish faith.

Mr Pump [http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Pump] certainly isn't Jewish.
Nor is Constable Dorfl [http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Dorfl] but both are awesome. Thanks for reminding me that I need to read those books again, root.

TipsyPeaches

Aug 3, 2009
zala-taichou said:
And I quote LotR page 4:

"Before the crossing of the mountains the Hobbits had already become divided into three somewhat different breeds: Harfoots, Stoors and Fallohides. The Harfoots were browner of skin, smaller and shorter,..."
ah, I couldn't remember where that quote was, thank you!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
zala-taichou said:
And I quote LotR page 4:

Nice. You win 100,000 internets for that one. And you should be making about 99.9% of the posters to this thread wonder why they're so quick to run their mouths about that which they know absolutely nothing.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
If when watching this film I find that there is a lone black hobbit trying to blend in I will rage to fuck.

zala-taichou said:
And I quote LotR page 4:

I've got a sneaking suspicion that he intended it to mean they have a slightly more tanned look, not black.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Milky_Fresh said:
JDKJ said:
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:

Shut up PayJ, we all know you're a ******-loving traitor to your race. One day me and the Klan will come pay you a visit.

EDIT: If you gunna quote me dawg you better be ready for some black heaters in your face.

JDKJ said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:

Try not to swear so much! You can easily make your point without heinous writing!
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:

Whilst I agree that if Hobbits are always described as white then it makes sense to have that in the outlines (I didn't know they were, but whatever), the way you've put across your point - and especially the sentiment in your last 2 lines - leave the impression that you're a total pig.

I would go over the whole thing about how you can be black (or any colour) and British but I get the feeling my virtual breath would be wasted.

OT: I think the issue seems to arise from the man having done this himself when perhaps the director/producer's intention was to simply have multi-racial Hobbits (burn them, they're deviating from the books ever-so-slightly, etc.).
Oh, I dunno, maybe it was the "I'll buy you a ticket back to Africa" part, which you so charmingly phrased. It doesn't even make sense to write that after talking about a director searching for Africans to play Africans (surely they'd do that in Africa then?).

I seriously wouldn't have been surprised if the next thing to come out of your mouth was about them "taking our jobs".

BY THEM!
Well your sitting at a computer doing the exact same thing. So dawg check yo self before you wreck yo'self.

Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:

Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:

BY THEM!
Of course. Sweet jesus.
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:

Now son, I know you and your ****** friends wouldn't be saying none of that monkey-shit down south. You ever done come by my ranch and I'll show you what the curb tastes like you unevolved mud person.

EDIT: If y'all dun be quoting my preachings you'd better show some respect.
Brotha please, I'll burn yo ranch down. Just bring it to da bronx hommie.

EDIT: Try Uncle Ben's family rice.
******, I WILL SEND YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL!

EDIT: I ain't afraid of no ghosts.
Well I'm black and an atheist so there ain't no hell for me.

You take your white bread honkey arse and go fuck yo sista.

EDIT: I can't get enough of that suger criiiiisp.
An atheist too? Boys, we got ourselves the whole package today! Son, me and the boys are gunna show you a little southern hospitality. Why don't you come inside and have some tea? You can sit down in my armchair.
[sub]The words in italic mean lynch[/sub]

EDIT: What is shame? Teach me how to shame!
When you see me using the word "ni&&er" (and in all caps, to boot), then you can honestly state that you and I are doing the exact same thing. Until then, if you manage not to compare yourself me, I'd appreciate you not doing so. Thanks.
I didn't compare myself to you? Fuck off.
Aren't you ever afraid that if you tilt your head to one side, your brain will roll out your ear?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Makes about as much sense as casting Denzel Washington as Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing. Now what kind of moron would do that? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Much_Ado_About_Nothing_(film)]
*shudder* Oh God, I completely forgot about Kenneth Branagh's obsession with Shakespeare back in the 90's.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
But Hobbits are all light-skinned! It's like casting Spiderman as a black man.

I'm against racism but it's fitting the criteria! Now I can't stop thinking about a Samuel L Jackson hobbit...

Freebird. said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Thus the nerd rage builds up in me...So close...to bursting.

Fuckin' A. Like, really? I hate all topics about this. Maybe this person needs to go read the fucking book before they apply for an acting job in the damn movie.
Are you saying black people can't read?
I don't think he is.... He's just suggesting (verbally) to read the books first before casting and making mistakes.

Kyp

Feb 13, 2009
While I agree that Hobbits were based on white British folk by their original author and, thus, this is not "Racism", I find many of the posts in this thread to be abhorrent.

Offering people tickets back to Africa? Bandying around the n-word? Play-acting in cheap, very racist stereotypes?

You're not cool, you're not funny, you don't have a "legitimate" point of view; you're nothing more than a few immature, ignorant tools.

I am a liberal Democrat in favor of free speach, but this is a gift that we ought to respect by using our ability to speak in an intelligent and thoughtful manner.

Perhaps when you get out of Middle School (either literally or in your mental state) you'll realize you don't have near what it takes to be a proper member of society.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
PayJ567 said:
reg42 said:
PayJ567 said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
JDKJ said:
PayJ567 said:
Milky_Fresh said:
PayJ567 said:

JDKJ said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:
burzummaniac said:
PayJ567 said:

Woodsey said:
PayJ567 said:

BY THEM!

OH NO SHE DDN'T! I felt that pwnage all the way from Africa. Me and all the black hobbits wuz like "nigga wut".
Then we went hunting."
Catch any child soldiers for the local warlord?
Only 3... It's been a slow week.
I need this post to be more controversial. Hmm... Oh!
AIDS.