Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I was asked to show one, ONE example

"

Name one of those people. Just one. Any one."

and I did, and then some, then I get the snarky reply from you "you only showed ONE!" As if you just couldn't possibly remember who I replied to. YOU moved the goalpost to this being specifically about death threats. So buzz off you disengenuous git.
Congratulations, it only took you three posts of Twitter links to get there. Does the one you found being deleted and apologized for have any bearing on your opinion?

Course, I did it in one, and you still haven't commented on the dozens of replies under it saying trans people in general deserve all the harassment they're getting because a few wankers were being wankers

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Trying to organize a boycott is not "having an opinion". Neither is linking "buying the game" with tolerating/practicing transphobia. That is nothing but picking a fight with people who looked forward to the game.
No, that's still very much an opinion. A sincerely held one, backed up by the causes the IP holder tends to advocate for and throw royalty money at. Kinda like when Chik Fil A was funding Christian missionaries to spend pastors to Africa to advocate for homophobic kill squads and queer people said "don't buy that".

Much like fast food chicken sandwiches, the allure of a mediocre wizard game is just too strong

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Remember, people: when your side has people that harasses others, they are just a few jerks, you can't paint everyone with the same brush, you are all individuals.

If the other side has people that harass others, you must focus EXCLUSIVELY on those people, and pretend literally everyone on the other side supports said harassment to prove that their side is morally flawed.

This is also the part where I point out that transphobic people can have much more...extreme expressions of their beliefs compared to those who push against transphobia. Harassment on either side is bad, don't get me wrong, but let's not also forget which side tends to go PAST harassment.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
This is also the part where I point out that transphobic people can have much more...extreme expressions of their beliefs compared to those who push against transphobia. Harassment on either side is bad, don't get me wrong, but let's not also forget which side tends to go PAST harassment.
But that is also why hardly anyone is on the side of the transphobics. They are pretty widely disliked because of their shitty behavior.

Most of the people who tend to feel attacked by the boycott proponents are upset because buying the game is equated with being on the side of the transphobics. That is not what they see as their side and never has been. Which is also why pointing to transphobic abuse to excuse the one directed at them prety much falls on deaf ears.

Of course a lot of actual transphobics now have a new, socially more acceptable angle to attack the trans-people by posing as gamers or Potter fans.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
But that is also why hardly anyone is on the side of the transphobics. They are pretty widely disliked because of their shitty behavior.

Most of the people who tend to feel attacked by the boycott proponents are upset because buying the game is equated with being on the side of the transphobics. That is not what they see as their side and never has been. Which is also why pointing to transphobic abuse to excuse the one directed at them prety much falls on deaf ears.

Of course a lot of actual transphobics now have a new, socially more acceptable angle to attack the trans-people by posing as gamers or Potter fans.
You could, TBF, apply this reasoning (both ways) regarding movements like Just Stop Oil (I obviously choose this as a parallel because of your concerns about climate). The Just Stop Oil fanatics have turned the everyman, who just wants to go to work in peace, against the environmental cause, and now he's just not going to bother doing anything at all, since nothing is ever enough.

Most people just don't want to rock the boat if their bit of the boat is still afloat, even if the boat more widely is shit (let's say it's on fire, headings into a whirlpool).

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Which isn't what you did. You just wrongly equated them to "tomboys and femboys" in an effort to invalidate them. Putting aside the fact that there's a lot more to it in a lot of cases than "cultural norms and gender roles"-- some traditional cultural conceptions are functionally very, very similar to what we would now term non-binary or trans.
Except that kind of really is the best modern way to describe term and thing to equate them to.
Also there's really not much more than cultural norms and gender roles to them unless you really want to buy into the magic and mysticism angle of them.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
In literary circles, this does, in fact, happen with Orion Scott Card, and you'd know this if you'd paid attention to it. It was particularly a topic of discussion around the Ender's Game movie

This game does, in fact, promote the views of Joanne Rowling, namely that maintaining a eugenics based hierarchical society as being the good ending, the continuing examples of Blood Libel in her very specific interpretation of Goblins, and how despite living in a magical world with very powerful body altering magics, the trans woman still doesn't pass
We don't judge people for liking Harry Potter. We judge grown ass adults who've never read a different book for filtering their entire perception of society and politics through Harry Potter and doing the equivalent of *refusing* to acknowledge all of Lovecraft's many example of racism.
On top of continuing to give Joanne Rowling money to keep funding her clutch of misogynists, wankers, homophobes, abusers, and assorted other bigots.
Ok so do you actually know what blood libel is or is it just a term you heard others say and are throwing it around?

Because I'm highly sceptical that actual blood libel occurs in this game

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
And yet they keep getting elected to public office or otherwise hold disproportionate societal power.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
You could, TBF, apply this reasoning (both ways) regarding movements like Just Stop Oil (I obviously choose this as a parallel because of your concerns about climate). The Just Stop Oil fanatics have turned the everyman, who just wants to go to work in peace, against the environmental cause, and now he's just not going to bother doing anything at all, since nothing is ever enough.

Most people just don't want to rock the boat if their bit of the boat is still afloat, even if the boat more widely is shit (let's say it's on fire, headings into a whirlpool).
Yes, absolutely.

There have been climate activist stunts that i think do more harm than good as well.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
And yet they keep getting elected to public office or otherwise hold disproportionate societal power.
Funny how people who don't support terrible thing X just happen to keep thinking that people who do are the right people for positions of power, by some strange coincidence.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, you're right. Trans people shouldn't criticize anything lest their interests be harmed. Trans gamers especially don't get to have any negative opinions about products
Except the issue here is
1) How petty a boycott it really is
2) It quickly morphed from calling for a boycott into attacking others.
3) It' many of the same people who are running round review bombing and trying to cause trouble who have for years been on about how it's proof of toxic "The gamers™" are when said people actually write negative reviews of products they don't like.

Trying to organize a boycott is not "having an opinion". Neither is linking "buying the game" with tolerating/practicing transphobia. That is nothing but picking a fight with people who looked forward to the game.
I suspect for some activist this is the point, only this time it's not playing out how they'd hoped.
Kick a hornets nest deliberately to get attention.
Get stung a few times.
Get a load of sympathy and attention.

Only this time the last step isn't happening because people can clearly see the kicking having happened.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Not here.

But yes, i always stress how important voting is and how people should actually pay attention to whom they are voting for. And that no, it's not all the same anyway.

There is only so much the individual can do. For some kind of actions one needs institutional power. And the only way to get institutional power are elections. And in elections you can only vote for parties not for individual issues. And even if your preferred party actually manages to win, you have to hope that they don't give up the issues important to you to get a proper coalition and do stuff you don't care for.

It is sometimes incredibly frustrating, especially when promises are broken and could feel quite cathartic to lash out at society. But it never helps.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Not here.
I keep forgetting how many people are persuaded to non-action by the "Somebody else's problem" phenomenon.

It is sometimes incredibly frustrating, especially when promises are broken and could feel quite cathartic to lash out at society. But it never helps.
Tell that to the Civil Rights Movement. They were lawbreakers, troublemakers and had what was then considered the arrogance to proclaim themselves equals with white people. They were labeled as traitors, communists, and worse. MLK himself called upon black people to stop participating in American society at all levels because American society had never done right by them.

Angry gets shit done. Pearl clutching? Not so much.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Tell that to the Civil Rights Movement. They were lawbreakers, troublemakers and had what was then considered the arrogance to proclaim themselves equals with white people. They were labeled as traitors, communists, and worse. MLK himself called upon black people to stop participating in American society at all levels because American society had never done right by them.
I was going to start mentioning other examples, such as the suffragettes, but more or less anyone who has gotten rights has gotten it that way.

Reactions: Buyetyen

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Look, I know you stay off social media for your mental health, but I still have to emphasize that this is the current status quo. This is not a change

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Want me to keep going? Cause we can do this all day long Terminal.
I asked you to name someone. Honestly, I was sort of hoping you'd try to name me.

Anyway, because I'm feeling kind of perverse, I'm going to show a side of myself that I don't normally show.

Because you know what, watching adult women cry about getting death threats, there's a part of me just hates them for being weak. Worse things happened to me when I was a child, and who the fuck was defending me? Who the fuck stood up and called that out for what it was? It certainly wasn't you, or any of these worthless simps crying over fake anime ladies.

You think I could have just cried and made it all better? Fuck no. Noone ever cared if I cried. I had to stop being weak really, really fast, because the alternative was death. You think I fucking care about death threats? You think they even register to me? I'm statistically a bigger threat to my own life than any other person on this planet. I was ready to die by the time I turned 17, and I already knew at that point that most people in this world would be glad if I did.

If I am nice, if I am kind, if I am empathetic, if I care about people being "bullied" online, it's not because any of qualities were shown to me, it's because I make the conscious effort to remember that this is the way things should be. People shouldn't have to develop the strength I did. People should receive sympathy and compassion when they are hurt, no matter who they are or how trivial the reasons seem. I was fortunate to meet someone very kind and wise and who was carrying far more trauma than me and who, among many other things, helped to remind me that pain is something we all experience within our own frame of reference and that it always matters.

But that doesn't mean you get to come to me and pretend that this is some kind of standard that applies to everyone, because it isn't and it doesn't. You don't get to pretend that you have any kind of moral outrage against bullying or harassment, because you don't. You only care when it happens to the "wrong" people. Because you'd have to be incredibly lacking in self-awareness to think that you don't live in a world where this kind of thing is absolutely normal to many people, and I'm not surprised those people are angry when confronted with the fact that bad things are only considered bad when they don't happen to them.

This isn't the oppression Olympics. You aren't ready for the Olympics. You're still at school sports day doing a fucking sack race.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Except that kind of really is the best modern way to describe term and thing to equate them to.
Also there's really not much more than cultural norms and gender roles to them unless you really want to buy into the magic and mysticism angle of them.
All I'm really hearing is that you're not able to view other cultural conceptions of gender without relating them to your fairly narrow, solely internet-based understanding.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Because you know what, watching adult women cry about getting death threats, there's a part of me just hates them for being weak. Worse things happened to me when I was a child, and who the fuck was defending me? Who the fuck stood up and called that out for what it was? It certainly wasn't you, or any of these worthless simps crying over fake anime ladies.

You think I could have just cried and made it all better? Fuck no. Noone ever cared if I cried. I had to stop being weak really, really fast, because the alternative was death. You think I fucking care about death threats? You think they even register to me? I'm statistically a bigger threat to my own life than any other person on this planet. I was ready to die by the time I turned 17, and I already knew at that point that most people in this world would be glad if I did.
Being battle hardened by your personal experience and trauma does not, in any capacity, lessen the difficult things other people have to experience. "I've had it worse so stop crying" is a mindset that lacks a serious amount of empathy. I've had it rough growing up. Shit sucked. Shit still sucks. But I'd never be so callous as to suggest other people's troubles are lesser than mine, and that they're "weak" compared to me cause of it, or that the supporters are "worthless" because I have some personal belief that they're only simping and don't lack the empathy to actually care about someone else

Last edited: