Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

Not just Hogwarts Legacy, the entire series.

So, basically, every HP game ever produced is banned from streaming, whereas something like God of War, a series that routinely features graphic dismemberment, gets...only a single game banned.
Good, blessed be KonradLeijon!

This is nothing new for GDQ. What used to be a place for gamers of all types, now is a "safe haven" for anyone that is trans or part of the gay, lesbian, & bi community. The cost of being jackass, they who fight monsters, and being over sensitive to anything. You should see the guy that literally almost got banned for making a Devil Trigger joke, when playing DMC4 SE.
And that is an absolutely good thing to be an honest fact that they take action against all forms of bigotry

Blessed be KonradLeijon

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Being battle hardened by your personal experience and trauma does not, in any capacity, lessen the difficult things other people have to experience.
That's a matter of perspective, isn't it.

I think you misunderstand me a little though. What I hoped was clear in context is that I'm not describing a set of conscious beliefs, I'm describing an involuntary response to trauma. I don't look at someone crying over being called out for playing stupid wizard game and think "wow, I'm so much better than that person", I feel an involuntary spasm of disgust because they remind me of a part of myself that I had to kill in order to survive. Trauma changes you in ways that are not under your control. If I could go back and be the person I used to be at some point and live in a world where being yelled at on the internet for playing a video game is the most unimaginably terrible thing that can happen to you, you think I wouldn't take that?

So yes, I know about the reality of other people's experience of pain. I know how to put myself aside and focus on someone else. That is a trivially easy thing to do, if not actually involuntary. It doesn't change the fact that I have to live with trauma that person doesn't, and it doesn't change the basic unfairness of who does and doesn't receive empathy. Because there is a serious, systematic lack of empathy towards certain groups of people across all of society, and trans and non-binary people are definately up there.

There's some hypocrisy going on here, and not the obvious kind where the same people desperately mortified that someone upset their favorite pair of anime titties are also fantasizing about trans people killing themselves (although that's also very much happening, and not exactly hidden). On one hand, there's an expectation that everyone must empathize with random internet personalities who get harassed or even just called out (because a lot of what's being posted here is just callouts). On the other hand, this is accompanied by complete indifference towards and delegitimization of anyone expressing why they were hurt by the actions of said internet personalities.

Empathy which isn't reciprocated is just self-harm, and a lot of trans and GNC people only made it to adulthood by developing a very strong aversion to self-harm. Why is it my job to be nice to someone who, best case scenario, doesn't really care if their actions cause me pain as long as it benefits them, and worse case scenario actually wishes me and everyone like me death because some vtuber deactivated their twitter account?

And yes, I am being an asshole. I am deliberately being my lowest, least charitable self at this point in time. I'm doing it as a deliberate protest, because I don't think the burden of having to be nice or empathetic is being equitably shared.

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
That's a matter of perspective, isn't it.
I guess so. I just think it's a shitty thing to say or believe.

I think you misunderstand me a little though. What I hoped was clear in context is that I'm not describing a set of conscious beliefs, I'm describing an involuntary response to trauma.
Good ol wording on the internet making that hard to perceive for some (like me).

I don't look at someone crying over being called out for playing stupid wizard game and think "wow, I'm so much better than that person", I feel an involuntary spasm of disgust because they remind me of a part of myself that I had to kill in order to survive.
I'm glad that was clarified, at least... cause damn, the initial impression there was not good.

Trauma changes you in ways that are not under your control. If I could go back and be the person I used to be at some point and live in a world where being yelled at on the internet for playing a video game is the most unimaginably terrible thing that can happen to you, you think I wouldn't take that?
I don't think it's fair to say this is the "most unimaginably terrible thing" for these people, that's a bit of hyperbole. It's just a generally horrible thing to hear, and unfortunately... with the way the world is these days, I don't know if just pretending they're nothing is always a safe measure. You never know if some crazy git is gonna make good on their threat. This could be me being a bit too heavy on precaution, but, death threats are something that shouldn't be taken lightly that shitbags on the internet are too quick to whip out.

And believe me, I am aware of the effects trauma has on someone. I have my fair share I still have to scrape my way through.

It doesn't change the fact that I have to live with trauma that person doesn't, and it doesn't change the basic unfairness of who does and doesn't receive empathy. Because there is a serious, systematic lack of empathy towards certain groups of people across all of society, and trans and non-binary people are definately up there.
There is an inherent unfairness to the world regarding this, yes. I wouldn't use that as a reason to not continue to extend empathy to anyone, however, whether you do or not. Empathy of any kind helps.

Why is it my job to be nice to someone who, best case scenario, doesn't really care if their actions cause me pain as long as it benefits them, and worse case scenario actually wishes me and everyone like me death because some vtuber deactivated their twitter account?
I wouldn't say that it's your job, no. I do feel that at least a surface level amount of empathy should be extended to those that are being unfairly harmed. This does not mean any action has to be taken, just that a feeling of "oh, that's a shame they're going through that" is better than nothing at all. However, a more thorough extension of empathy, be it through personal action or reaching out, I feel is something that can and should be done with more scrutiny.

And yes, I am being an asshole. I am deliberately being my lowest, least charitable self at this point in time. I'm doing it as a deliberate protest, because I don't think the burden of having to be nice or empathetic is being equitably shared.
That's fair enough. I just hope it's not being done with the hope or expectation that people need to or should agree with it

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Let me think... Did you know that Fantastic Beasts is based off of a small book written by Rowling that was just an encyclopedia of magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe, written from the perspective of someone from that universe? I really, REALLY wish they had just had the movie series be about going to far away places in the wizarding world so we could see the interesting creatures and learn of what wizards are like in other cultures rather than the lame plot they went with.
Yeah. The Rise of wizard Hitler and the quest for the cutesy wizard animals just doesn't work very well. The kinda serious subject of wizard Hitler is a bad playground to go hunting for cute animals. Both topics would be better served by not having to share a space with each other.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Jesus Christ are you still here? Can somebody call this guy’s mum and tell him he’s up past his bedtime.
What? You got a promise with me praising GDC for taking a stance against a source of Rowling's transphobic dogma funding?

Blessed be KonradLeijon!

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
All I'm really hearing is that you're not able to view other cultural conceptions of gender without relating them to your fairly narrow, solely internet-based understanding.
Yeh because we're talking humanity here not alien life forms.
Most culture have basically 3 groups
Men, Women, other (yes this is reductive as some have male other and female other....)

[I would have put a clip from Star Trek Voyager of the Doctor doing his alien sex talk to Seven of Nine here but I can't fine a clip of it on youtube]

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I would like to thank this thread for proving GDQs decision to not have Potter games at its events to be correct.

Can you imagine having to moderate this bullshit on the fly at your multi-million dollar charity event? Shit's hard enough as it is *without* dealing with extra-whiny gamers and rabid culture warriors

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This is the perfect picture for this story.
Fixed it for you. Rejecting Hogwarts Legacy and the toxic byproducts of Rowling can be good for your mental health
We already had this discussion. Not buying a product/buying a product doesn't automatically make you a decent human being. I don't attack innocents, nor those just doing their jobs streaming or reviewing a game. It's their choice; they're allowed to do whatever they want. So long they don't act like jackasses. You are nothing more than a glorified he who fights monsters. Stop hyping yourself up like you're the ultimate virtue. We're done here, and don't bother adding anything else. Don't care what else you have to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh because we're talking humanity here not alien life forms.
Most culture have basically 3 groups
Men, Women, other (yes this is reductive as some have male other and female other....)
So you're basing it on your own basic, broad assumptions about "humanity" then, rather than any actual knowledge-- even though humanity as we know it already has quite a few recognised gender identities outside of the binary.

Anyway. No, there are quite a few concepts of third genders or stations outside of the gender binary which date back centuries and are not equivalent to "tomboys and femboys".

Last edited: