Hogwarts Legacy - Whimsical Wizardry

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Both authors forgot they said they supported trans rights.

(For maximum clarity, this is a somewhat mean joke about Rowling's switch away from 'I would march with you etc.' constrasted to Pratchett having Alzheimer's. Pratchett, as far as I am aware, never made explicit comment on trans rights, but we know he was a good guy so we don't have to worry about it.)
I mean, I don't know if he ever said it with his face hole in public, but considering his trans characters and the entirety of Monstrous Regiment it's a pretty safe bet

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I mean, I don't know if he ever said it with his face hole in public, but considering his trans characters and the entirety of Monstrous Regiment it's a pretty safe bet
Yeah, that's how I've heard it (it's been a long time since I've been familiar with his work tbh), and his daughter has always been pretty open about what side of the fence he'd fall on (the good side).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
How many lines didn't he cross ?

You do rely on blatant double standards on doxxing (the equivalent to "theirs are terrorists" vs "ours are isolated madmen"), as if the history of gamergate alone didn't show the scale of heinous if not murderous fuckfest along the "culture war" divide. But when, in addition to that, you try to posit some moral high ground on the conservative side's rules of engagement, be it as a premise (they are so noble therefore their trash is to be discarded) or as a conclusion (what trash, there is no trash therefore they are so noble) maybe it's time to contextualise it with the sort of shitbag that you idolize and the carnival of dejection that accompanies him and his minions. Maybe. For perspective and credibility.
Except even the right wing madmen in the media like Alex Jones don't publish peoples addresses.
But left wing publications? yeh sure they're happy to put peoples info out there for the most minor offense it seems.

Also we can't talk GG here, it's in the rules.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Here's something you have to understand about troll logic: once you've decided not to give a shit, you just need an excuse. Any excuse will do. Once you recognize this, you see it everywhere on the right.

Does the right wing frequently dox and harass people for having the "wrong" opinions? Who gives a shit! Some right wingers once got doxxed.

Is Trump a rapist? Who gives a shit! Women lie all the time.

Did the Jan 6 rioters attempt to overthrow a fair election? Who gives a shit! BLM broke some windows.

There is no reasoning with this. It's attractive to small minds because like conspiracy theories it means you never to admit to being wrong about anything. And it gives a lot of freedom to indulge in your worst impulses. You can have it both ways! You can approve of Zoe Quinn getting chased out of her home or even straight up deny it ever happened while demanding your ideological opponents as a whole apologize to you personally for a single bad faith actor sending threats. You can support places like Kiwifarms and 8chan while at the same time crowing about the importance of civility. People who subscribe to this troll logic are beyond help because they don't want to be helped. They see every ruffled feather as a moral triumph on their part because they got you to give a shit while they don't.

So yeah. Better to put these trolls on ignore than to try and convince them of their own awfulness when they never gave a shit about being a good person in the first place.
Hypocrisy they name is Buyeten it seems.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yeah, this is why I kept making fun of the tit-for-tat "why don't you condemn this harassment" posts. They don't matter. They literally never matter. The same people saying you need to have thick skin on the internet will pull up collages full of mild disappointment and call it harassment. They'll say you need to ignore the trolls but if you don't personally comment on every new account that follows nobody that gets zero interactions you condone harassment. *We* are obviously not a hive mind and can't control everybody but *you* better damn well should or you'll justify every terrible thing we believe about you.

Stupid and useless. Doubly so when we're several steps removed on this forum
We didn't lay down the standard lol.

Remember Anita in her speech to the UN said telling her she's wrong is harassment.

Didn't see many self proclaimed progressives calling them bullshit out. So now it's those rules being played by and funny to see people now objecting to those rules. You lo wanted them, you got them. Or is it only people you see as on your side allowed to use those low standards?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, he'll do that crap when there is something to cover. You should have seen amount of time she tried to derail a thread or throw it off topic, when the actual topic was still going on.
Well if you an others here could manage a counter point to what I'm saying rather than ad hominem maybe there would be something more on topic being said as is when you start flinging shit about it's pretty hypocritical to then moan there's shit everywhere.

What else to you expect when I ask a specific question because it was brought up as a claim. "Who did Trump Doxx?" and people can't actually show it happened.
Funnier still when part of my prior argument was about the fallibility of people in groups showing the whole claim of Trump having doxxed people not to have validity to it but apparently was a widely held enough belief by some here they threw the point out in the absolute belief they were right.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Ok, I kinda joked in the last page, but more serious talk...

Can we please take the perpetual pissing contest into PM or somewhere else, maybe in Current Events? I am aware I don't have to keep looking back into this thread, but at this point a few people are cycling out arguments related to Trump, Alex Jones, doxxing, right wing politics and media, abortions, and probably a dozen other things that have nothing to do with the actual game on topic. We lost the plot ages ago.
And while you can make an argument about the trans rights thing in relation to the crusty old hag that is JK Rowling and her connection to Harry Potter... again, put it in Current Events, yeah?

And let's be real. None of this back and forth is changing anyone's minds. Why the "debates" have gone on for this long across so many posts and pages is beyond me, but surely at least ONE of you has come to realize "Wow, I've been at this for ages and have made less than 0 progress. Maybe I should stop and do something else." Is it a need to be "right"? Is it a craving to set things straight and let the other person know why they're wrong?

Whatever the reason is... take a breath. Go have some fun. Maybe play a video game instead.
Life's too short to spend days upon days yelling at other people on the internet

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Can we please take the perpetual pissing contest into PM or somewhere else, maybe in Current Events? I am aware I don't have to keep looking back into this thread, but at this point a few people are cycling out arguments related to Trump, Alex Jones, doxxing, right wing politics and media, abortions, and probably a dozen other things that have nothing to do with the actual game on topic. We lost the plot ages ago.
And while you can make an argument about the trans rights thing in relation to the crusty old hag that is JK Rowling and her connection to Harry Potter... again, put it in Current Events, yeah?

And let's be real. None of this back and forth is changing anyone's minds. Why the "debates" have gone on for this long across so many posts and pages is beyond me, but surely at least ONE of you has come to realize "Wow, I've been at this for ages and have made less than 0 progress. Maybe I should stop and do something else." Is it a need to be "right"? Is it a craving to set things straight and let the other person know why they're wrong?

Whatever the reason is... take a breath. Go have some fun. Maybe play a video game instead.
Life's too short to spend days upon days yelling at other people on the internet
Exactly why I enforce my own set of rules whenever I make a thread.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Well if you an others here could manage a counter point to what I'm saying rather than ad hominem maybe there would be something more on topic being said as is when you start flinging shit about it's pretty hypocritical to then moan there's shit everywhere.

What else to you expect when I ask a specific question because it was brought up as a claim. "Who did Trump Doxx?" and people can't actually show it happened.
Funnier still when part of my prior argument was about the fallibility of people in groups showing the whole claim of Trump having doxxed people not to have validity to it but apparently was a widely held enough belief by some here they threw the point out in the absolute belief they were right.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada

So, uh, this is post #1068 and the thread has been firmly off-topic since around post #50. You're a little late here.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
So, uh, this is post #1068 and the thread has been firmly off-topic since around post #50. You're a little late here.
Which is why I'm at least trying to make the effort now that we're this deep in the weeds (and mostly cause this whole mess has run its course by now)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if I agree that he was an influence by necessity, other than him being the most popular British fantasy author so Rowling ought to have read him. Or maybe I'm just staring at how tonally different they are and fail to see obvious connections.
I mean, she openly cited him as an influence, and the similarities between them were brought up multiple times in interviews.

Also, this may just be a personal observation, but Rowling's writing style has always struck me as someone trying to emulate Pratchett without possessing the same level of ability.

And no, I don't just mean Discworld. The Discworld books are accessible to children, but they're written primarily for adults.Pratchett wrote children's books too.

Yeah, that's how I've heard it (it's been a long time since I've been familiar with his work tbh), and his daughter has always been pretty open about what side of the fence he'd fall on (the good side).
The thing is, Pratchett published his first book in the 70s and his last after his death in 2015. He wasn't always a perfect person or someone magically ahead of his time, and he wrote a lot of stuff which comes off in retrospect as insensitive or thoughtless. But he was also clearly someone who was able to learn and take criticism and use it to become, not just more inclusive, but also a better writer in general.

Rowling always comes across to me as someone who fully buys her own hype. She truly seems to believe she redefined literature and channeled some spirit of true genius. She's so convinced of herself that she seems to get salty at her own fans pointing out plot holes.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I mean, she openly cited him as an influence, and the similarities between them were brought up multiple times in interviews.
You'll have to provide me with a quote or link on this; wikipedia only lists that it has been compared with Discworld in the media.
And no, I don't just mean Discworld. The Discworld books are accessible to children, but they're written primarily for adults.Pratchett wrote children's books too.
I've only started reading Only You Can Save Mankind at one point but never finished it. Didn't feel like anything Rowling tried to emulate.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've only started reading Only You Can Save Mankind at one point but never finished it. Didn't feel like anything Rowling tried to emulate.
Honestly, nothing I've read of Pratchett feels like anything I've read of Rowling. That said, Only You Can Save Mankind isn't like Discworld in terms of writing style (or anything else), so take that as you will.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

thank you for actually supplying evidence