Hollywood: Assassin's Creed Movie Is Doomed

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
I'll giggle like a schoolgirl either way this goes.

If failed; I'll just laugh because they "told it will happen" and I'll enjoy the failure of a major company with DRM issues.

If they succeed; I'll laugh because they have opened up a new way of making a video game movie which will probably allow other video gaming IP owners to green light their own movie with similar requirements... And see a major company with excellent games succeed and say "SUCK IT!"

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
What's wrong Hollywood? Jealous that a game developer could potentially do a better job at making a movie than your own pitiful efforts?

Prove these clowns wrong, Ubi. Make a good enough movie and who knows? Maybe game devs will run hollywood and make it good. Ah, there I am dreaming again.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
JPArbiter said:
yes, because God forbid an IP developer cares about what happens to it's baby!

this could also go in the other direction, with Sony being hailed as a pioneer in the fieldand Assassin's Creed allowing video games to stand tall and proud as a niche market to mass market adaptation. it is almost as though Sony has done something similar in the past...

Yes, yes they have.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Shit, the trailers are amazing. It'd probably be expensive but take the CG route and blow people's hair back.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Gather said:
Upload that image to imageshack. It isn't showing to the rest of us
It's just the DVD cover art of Spiderman 3. You know, the one with the wooden acting and the awkward dance number.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
putowtin said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Good for you Sony, you need to focus on ruining Spider Man first.
They've already done that, wait a minute do I detect sarcasm? my bad not enough coffee today!
OT, I'm a MASSIVE Assassin's Creed fan, the short films are excellent, but the idea that someone like Uwe could get his grubby little mits on it scared the life out of me. If Ubisoft are gonna keep control I'm far happier!

Now more coffee!
I'm also, a massive fan, so yeah, F*** you, Hollywood for trying to maintain control over everything.

I'm just miffed that Ubisoft have delayed the PC version of Revelations...AGAIN.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Hollywood has actually showed to be quite unable to do movies with a pretty damn good track record of it.

Acting like they know their stuff is laughable.

There is also this where Valve a game company was MUCH MUCH better at making Ads to Portal 2 than a professional company focusing on just that. So if they are better than those people I'm quite sure they can handle movie making.

I'm willing to bet that if a game company is allowed to have a hand in the movie they will make it much better.

I still find Final Fantasy Advent Children to pretty good. Wasn't that made by Square Enix only? Checked, and it pretty much was.
If it had been Hollywood it'd be an abomination. Like good god would it have failed.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
"It's [Ubisoft's] billion-dollar brand, so I get that they're protective," one unnamed studio executive said. "But they're not moviemakers, and the only way to make sure it's a bad movie is to undervalue what movie studios do -- and this is a deal that totally undervalues what movie studios do."

I'm sorry, was this unnamed studio executive Uwe Boll? I've yet to see a movie studio do anything of worth with a video game.

Or even a comic book, for that matter. Why do you think Marvel said "screw you guys, I'm making my own damn movie studio" and proceeded to give us some absolutely fantastic films from Iron Man to Captain America?

Hollywood still has it up its ass that it's Hollywood and no one can do better. But the proof is in the pudding, so I'm all for Ubisoft keeping things on a short leash.

Dennis Quaid for Isaac Clarke! *Laughs*

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
And Hollywood is just so damn good at making movies based on games, oh wait.

Good, I'm glad that someone is being very protective of their property and not wanting some movie company crapping all over it just to make a quick buck. I thought they did an excellent job at the short AC 2 live-action movie they did a few years ago, so I think they can pull it off and make a great movie.

Of course, I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan, so this might all be wishful thinking on my part.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If someone with a less than 10% success rate at doing something (like, say, adapting video game properties to the silver screen) says of someone else, "Oh, you can't do that thing, you don't have the wherewithal and expertise that I do," how seriously should anyone take them?

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
It will probably fail, not because Hollywood doesn't have full creative control, but rather because Ubisoft will attempt to include ridiculously invasive DRM into the film somehow.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I honestly couldn't take the Vulture report seriously. The moment the word 'flabbergasted' was used was the moment they lost all credibility with me. That report just stank of high-born, elitism. I'm hoping Ass-Creed does well as a film though.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
So it is going to fail because it would actually be decent.

Seems about right for Hollywoodland.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
It's weird to think of a giant games company as the "little guy", but compared to Hollywood they really are. Good on ye, Ubisoft!
And if it sucks, well at least you tried. Maybe it will give someone else the courage to try it as well.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Thyunda said:
If Ubisoft gave up creative control, we'd have the series treated with the same action-oriented drivel that Oliver Bowden wrote in his novelisation. Not that they're bad books, by any means, but they do not feel like Assassin's Creed...and that's exactly how big movie companies would treat it...unless they ruin it entirely.
Really? I thought those books were terrible. Renaissance started out well enough, then towards the end its like he just got sick of it and shit out the rest in an afternoon. Brotherhood was not an improvement.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Sands of Time was one of the best video game adaptations ever, and it was still mediocre. Hollywood: prove yourself before you talk. With the shitty standard quality of movies today, movie makers should not be saying anything.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
If Ubisoft has too much control over the film, it will suck.

If hollywood has too much control over the film, it will suck.

Either way it's a good thing this will probably never get made.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Right, so what they are saying is, because Ubisoft wants to keep as true as possible to the games that have sold in the millions, the movie won't sell at all...

The logic, I don't see it!

(btw Hollywood. Y'know Harry Potter? The franchise that has made more money for you than pretty much everything else put together over the past decade? That was adapted from a form of media other than movies too, and do you want to know why they made so much? Because WB actually worked with and respected the direction of Miss Rowling, the author of the original books. This meant that the films stayed comparatively true to the books, which the fans loved, meaning that the fans loved the movies too. I'll just leave that one with you to mull over for a while.)