Hollywood: Assassin's Creed Movie Is Doomed

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I get why they're worried, and I am too. I very highly doubt this movie will be any good, partly cuz of this, but primarily cuz I don't see AssCreed working as a movie.
That said, I really, really hope this movie is good. It would shatter all expectations and may herald a new era of actually competent VG movies, and maybe even a healthy synergy between the movie industry and the VG industry, a strained relationship ATM.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
..... Really I really wish this movie won't happen. They really need to not make game movies.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Right... Hollywood, Fuck you.

Ubisoft, brofist. Never thought I would live to see the day when companies care more for the quality of their product rather than the money it might make.

Dave29

Dec 2, 2010
As someone who adores Assassin's Creed 2, here's my problem:

Assassin's Creed story isn't that great. Just like Dead Space, as far as gameplay and presentation goes it's top notch, but as far as story and characterization it is pretty mediocre.

The reason AC2's worked was because of it's small approach. It was a simple revenge/coming of age story for Ezio, simple but effective for a video-game.

Movies work different, they have zero interactivity, they depend mostly on story and characterization. Since Assassin's Creed already lacks that, whoever makes the movie needs to spand upon story, expand upon characterization, needs to hold back upon the craziers sides of the AC universe, needs to eliminate A LOT of things that are a vital part of AC.

If Ubisoft holds absolute control and don't realize they need to alter they product, the movie is doomed to mediocrity anyway.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
So... basically our options are;

1. A coinflip between a true Assassin's Creed experience adhering to the beautifully arranged sci-fi/historic conspiracy fiction storyline of the source material, and not being released at all.

or

2. Total shlock that accomplishes nothing aside from slurping finances away from the movie studio through a straw, just like EVERY other video game movie ever made in which Hollywood was given the reigns.

This is a no-brainer here. Thank you so much Ubisoft for proving your competency once again.

Dave29 said:
If Ubisoft holds absolute control and don't realize they need to alter they product, the movie is doomed to mediocrity anyway.
There have been OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH so many movies that were absolute blockbusters with less character development than your average pine-cone.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
arc1991 said:
Yeh...because non of Hollywoods Movie adaptations of games have failed have they?

Me thinks Hollywood is jealous...i really do hope this Movie is good, it's about time we got a decent Game to Film Movie.
They can always hire some good directors and advisers. You don't need to have the programmers and the legal team direct the thing.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Therumancer said:
It should be noted that irregardless of your personal politics the first game which laid the groundwork for this series was basically an attempt to be offensive to a lot of the western world on the war on terror. Ubisoft being a french company, france having opposed The War On Terror for reasons of personal gain given it's breaking of embargos hidden behind the "Oil For Food Program" and still being interested in that money, and also seeking appeasement over their own riots and such.

What your looking at in the final equasion is a game about an Arab largely killing off westerners, in one of the more politically touchy periods of history. The timing of this did not go unnoticed in certain circles, nor did the creators and the politics involved in where they were operating for a lot was written about it.
Really? Only you would come up with an interpretation like this :/

1) France did not oppose the USA on the "War on Terror", in fact it's been a very active supporter of NATO and agreed (to my knowledge) to implement Article 5 after 9/11. It opposed the war in Iraq however (that's where your getting confused), largely because most of the world viewed it as an illegal war, and France is not afraid to criticise US foreign policy.

2)The main bad-guy in the first series is Al Mualim, an Arab. Altair kills Europeans and he also kills Muslims, there's nothing anti-Western about the first Assassins Creed game, basically the game doesn't discriminate between races and religions. Heck, if anything the second and third games lavish praise on the achievements of European civilisation during the Renaissance.

3)The creative director behind Assassins Creed is Canadian, not French. And besides the game is made by a multi-national team anyway. I doubt Ubisoft the publishers spread subversive political messages through their games.

The bottom line is that Assassins Creed is not a French conspiracy to undermine America, it's multi-billion euro historical sci-fi franchise. If it does criticise anything, it's probably established religion, or Catholicism, not the West.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Lt. Vinciti said:
Am I reading this as:

Hollywood cries because they have ZERO control and ZERO right to fuck shit up?

Ubisoft has basically ALL control over this film?
Exactly. I'm honestly glad this is the case.

They made those shorts a while ago that -while not amazing- were pretty damn good.

As long as they try to steer clear of that whole Alien God thing, I'm down with this movie.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Hmmm... so the people who have failed so consistently and frequently to make a movie adaptation of a game are saying that no one else can do it right? You'd think it'd be obviously unwise to make such a claim in advance. But then again, much that is obvious is beyond their grasp, so maybe we shouldn't be so surprised.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, if there is a good, new director who loves AC and is willing to listen to Ubisoft, there COULD be a great AC movie. I mean, Ubisoft might not know a lot about making movies...but they sure did one hell of a game that resembles one! Besides, if you wanna look at video games as art, you can ask any artist what they think about their works of art being altered for whatever reason.

Also, isn't there an AC movie already? GameStop just started carrying those; it's a blu-ray, live-action movie. I haven't seen/ bought it myself because I was skeptical about it, but....yeah, what's that all about?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Until I can potentially sit down and watch it, it isn't a movie.
Prove me wrong Ubisoft, and I'll believe you can make a video game movie.

It's that simple.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Oh no, the movie won't be made, I guess that means I have nothing to look forwa--Assassins Creed Revelations!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness I don't really care too much. I would like to see the movie get made, but I'm comfortable with things right now. New games coming out every year, we're set for a while. Assassin's Creed III needs to be made soon though, I could use a fresh new character.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's doomed for the simple reason that as a movie, they will never match the narrative in the games. It can only pale into insignificance. And not even because it's a really masterful movie, but what was the last good videogame movie you saw?.... Yeah, I thought so.

Jim Sturtridge

Jun 22, 2011
i ask what has screwed over video game adaptations-other people's interpretation of the works, solution? have the people who made it all do what they did but with real people-all the interpretations will be the same as the ones that made the game if they can pull it off then they can break the trend of bad interpretations.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
I'm pleasantly surprised there were eventually a couple people who offered counterpoints and some healthy caution to balance out all the people saying "Hollywood sucks at making game movies so they don't get to talk." With this much agreement in one thread I thought maybe I was someplace other than the Internet.

Control over the budget seems a little weird to me, but I'm actually super-jazzed about the idea of Ubisoft having creative control over casting decisions. That means the chances of this movie getting whitewashed like Last Airbender are approaching zero.

Therumancer said:
Wow, dude. Just wow.