Hollywood: Assassin's Creed Movie Is Doomed

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Hollywood: Assassin's Creed Movie Is Doomed

The baffling deal between Sony Pictures and Ubisoft to bring Assassin's Creed to the silver screen guarantees the project will fail, according to Hollywood insiders.

With so many game-to-film adaptations taking shocking liberties with the source material -- struck up a deal with Sony Pictures [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Bros-Bob-Hoskins/dp/B00008979N], it was specifically under the proviso that the film company would give Ubisoft complete creative control.

That alone guarantees that the film will never see the light of day, according to a Vulture report.

To wit:

To make the deal, Sony had to grant the gaming company approval over just about everything - budget, principal cast, script, release date - and Hollywood spectators are flabbergasted. Notes one incredulous insider, "As a director, even Steven Spielberg cannot get this kind of deal." And yet it's this very overarching power that may doom the project, as it has other gigantic video game movies. Notes one Hollywood talent agent who represents a smaller video game publisher, "The whole Ubisoft/Sony deal is a waste of ink, paper and time. The level of control Sony gave up means, effectively, that Assassin's Creed will never -- and I mean never -- get made."

As evidence, Vulture offers a list of other Hollywood studios who balked at Ubisoft's demands, before Sony Pictures finally signed on to the project. DreamWorks, Universal and Warner Bros. were all at one time working with Ubisoft on a deal, but "were ultimately put off by the game-makers' demands."

Hollywood seems to understand Ubisoft's motivation, but simply refuses to see the publisher as capable of making the film.

"It's [Ubisoft's] billion-dollar brand, so I get that they're protective," one unnamed studio executive said. "But they're not moviemakers, and the only way to make sure it's a bad movie is to undervalue what movie studios do -- and this is a deal that totally undervalues what movie studios do."

Speaking rationally, they may have a point. What does Ubisoft actually know about making movies outside of the virtual realm?

Speaking as an anti-authoritarian zealot however, I applaud Ubisoft's efforts, and hope that it succeeds if only to shatter a small piece of the ego-shield that protects the hegemony of the Hollywood machine. Double points if that means photo ops of Yves Guillemot wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and screaming Public Enemy lyrics from the top of Mulholland.

Source: Vulture [http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/11/assassins_creed_movie_sony_ubi.html]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
They did pretty well with that short episode they released for AC2 so Im all for this. At least if its a total screw up they can say they tried and have no one else to blame.

Also means a certain german called Uwe is in no way involved.

Dec 14, 2009
This may be the only movie based on a game that I believe will be actually worth a damn.

Go for it Ubisoft, prove the naysayers wrong.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Yeh...because non of Hollywoods Movie adaptations of games have failed have they?

Me thinks Hollywood is jealous...i really do hope this Movie is good, it's about time we got a decent Game to Film Movie.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Movie studios hate video games. They are a competitor. Besides games taking away money from movies, they are also mad that movies they turn into games do not sell as well. You don't need the studio system to make a great movie, just a couple talented directors, a good script, and a good post FX house.

The studio system will test screen and change a movie to death, under-market it, or do worse.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I hope Ubisoft gets what they want. Assassin's Creed deserves to be a terrific movie. And that can only be accomplished if Ubisoft maintains the creative control over it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Just do the live-action thing you've been did in Assassin's Creed 2.

That thing worked like a charm.

YOU CAT DO IEEEET, UBISOFT!!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
So the movie is gonna fail because Hollywood doesn't have total control?

I can't help but feel like this deserves a squinty eyed Fry image.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Just as long as there is a Blow scene, I will watch it in theaters.

Grap her, Pull the dress down, Blow out the candle stick.. [Lights out]

It's that easy, Ezio fans!

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Yeah and how many shitty movies has Hollywood itself made? Yeah, that's what I thought. Ubisoft is a great company, and as long as they are the ONLY people behind the wheel of this I think they're going to do something great with it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I hope this movie does as well as prince of persia, which it probably will have to, otherwise you're just going to get V for vendetta again.

but eh, they're working with Sony, and thats probably the best they could hope for. Since Sony does games, you have the inter office relationship between sony the movie maker and Ubisoft, as well as the intraoffice relationship of sony the game maker and sony the movie maker.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
If Ubisoft gave up creative control, we'd have the series treated with the same action-oriented drivel that Oliver Bowden wrote in his novelisation. Not that they're bad books, by any means, but they do not feel like Assassin's Creed...and that's exactly how big movie companies would treat it...unless they ruin it entirely.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Am I reading this as:

Hollywood cries because they have ZERO control and ZERO right to fuck shit up?

Ubisoft has basically ALL control over this film?

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
Heh, i think it is a great news.
Hollywood messes the movies based on games up every single time.
And Ubi should have the talent and the vision to pull it off.
The games have had a stellar story, the liveaction stuff and even
the trailers have been also very good.
All the gamers should go and watch it when it comes out.

So good news everyone... :)

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Sorry, if you can't be bothered name yourself Mr Hollywood insider, I'm not listening to a word you say.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
If there is any video game out there that deserves a GOOD movie adaptation it is this one. Great characters, great story, incredible settings...etc. Prince of Persia was Ubisoft's last attempt to get a good game on film and it was actually passable. Tweak the formula, get good actors and a director that's worth a damn and we could have the first really good movie adaptation of a video game.

...God I hope this doesn't suck. This is a great series.