HOLY FU- Anonymous is PISSSSSED!

satanslawer123

Aug 6, 2009
Ranorak said:
...what's the point?
I mean honestly, those companies don't care that their pubic website server is down.
It's going to be up again in a few hours.

This is nothing more then cyber prank calls and false pizza orders.
give it a day or two and anonymous will say sorry and return to the little dens and wont bother use for a few months

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Solo-Wing said:
Jesus christ the internet is at war. What with SOPA and this shit. And we are gonna be caught in the middle.
If it gets bigger, yes, we will.

People aren't thinking about this from the "I don't understand the internet" perspective. And those are the people making the laws and doing a lot of the voting. To them, knowing that a small group of kid hackers can causing this kind of trouble makes the internet even scarier. And pirates and hackers are, in the minds of many of these people, two heads of the same monster.

This is just going to make these people more afraid of the internet. And that means they'll welcome tighter control.

Anonymous aren't helping anyone with this. These aren't carefully measured steps toward a goal. They're making noise because they can, and the whole Robin Hood angle is just icing on the cake to them.

I love the folks that talk about how this is amazing because it was "thrown together in a day." Do you really believe that? These guys sit around waiting for excuses to spring into "action." They knew SOPA was coming, and they probably had this in the works for weeks.

That means you've got a group that is looking for trouble. And that's bad for everyone. Government? Anonymous? I side with neither.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Y'know it really doesn't help the internet's cause for freedom vs lawfulness when the first thing Anon actually does strike out on is action against a legitimately criminal, piracy encouraging website.

The argument I've seen of calling Youtube and Megaupload stuff exactly the same is unbelievable around here. I thought the community around here approached all the SOPA stuff (mostly) intelligently too. Guess it really was just a lot of people wanting to pirate stuff for free while hiding beneath the flag of freedom of speech.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Vault101 said:
well Its about time Anon did somthing about SOPA..that kind of thing is right up their ally

perhaos this has been planned for a while
Haha, that's funny. Annonymous, planning?

OT: The first return volley has been fired! Soon all shall be consumed by the flames of haelfire and damnation! The coming storm is upon us, and none shall survive!

:p

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
I still have a problem that the US took down a site that was operating outside of their country,unless the crime happpened on their soil they have no say in the matter.

reminds me of a certain doctor who episode I totally agree with what the master did to the president

Fenrir Strife

Nov 1, 2010
I find it funny that there's a lot of people on here have said DOS'ing isn't any big deal... but isn't that kinda the point? All DOS'ing needs, from what I can understand of it, is a lot of people to go on a site to knock it temporarily outta commission.

So... is it just me, or does that seem like a warning shot to you? DOS'ing a load of sites is more impressive for the numbers involved than the skill of hacking required. This seems like the shot across the bow to me... "We are anonymous. We are Legion. Piss us off at your peril." We KNOW they are capable of more... they just aren't doing more until SOPA and PIPA are passed or denied.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Whelp, here we were. Proving to congress we can exercise our will by sending a message with a premeditated, coordinated blackout. And it was actually working; some in congress took our actions with a degree of respect.

And now Anon goes ahead and jumps the gun out of the petty notion of revenge.
---
One more for the internet bunker, pl0x.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This is very relevent

http://bogieworks.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c581e53ef0167609cd218970b-500wi

On another note, oh NOW you care, the whole mess about SOPA and you keep your mouth shut, but a site that streams copyrighted material (IE ACTUALLY breaking the law) get's shot down and they get pissed? Fuck them, they're throwing a temper tantrum that's all, probably upset that they can't watch their favorite show without paying now. How come they don't throw a riot when someone's youtube channel gets taken down then? People go to great lengths to act like mature people when protesting SOPA, and then these assholes ruin it for everyone, can someone catch them already?

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Pat8u said:
I still have a problem that the US took down a site that was operating outside of their country,unless the crime happpened on their soil they have no say in the matter.

reminds me of a certain doctor who episode I totally agree with what the master did to the president
Oh man, that was so awesome. The president was all world-police...y, and the master bust a cap up his ass

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
I'm not going through all four pages of this thread. The first one is enough to convince me that there is going to be stupid everywhere.

Also stop panicking about 'virus' crap. It's obvious it's not a hijack, it's an alibi. You can simply close the window to end the process.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Does anyone fine the timing of the megaupload takedown insanely suspicious?

UMG took down their youtube video which it had no copyright claim to. MegaUpload them filed a lawsuit against UMG.

In what is probably the most coincidental and fortunate timing for UMG, all the owners of MegaUpload just so happen to now branded as criminals and have their site removed.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
I'm very amused by the people who think this was a spontaneous response. This is obviously the attack they had pre-planned in case SOPA passes. And if this was the response they planned for SOPA passing I'm a little dissappointed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
mParadox said:
Nouw said:
Hold me >.>. I don't want to dieeeee.
*hugs tight* We shall survive! We will live! We reach the end of this dark, horrific tunnel.
*group hug*
JasonBurnout16 said:
Geez let me into those bunkers I dont think it's going to be safe out here much longer.

On topic though, I have always found Anon's attacks quite intriguing. They are like a car crash happening right before your eyes - you can't do anything to stop the two obstacles colliding but neither can you look away! It's that interesting.

However I question the sites they have taken down. None of the sites mentioned make any money from their being up and running. It might make more of a statement to take down sites that make money as that will make them noticed.

Oh and can someone tell me what DDOS'ing means? Please and thankyou.

LET ME INTO THE BUNKER!!
*Pulls into bunker and closes hatch*

You're safe now. And DDOS means "Distributed Denial Of Service". They flood the servers with activity from thousands of computers to halt the activity of any legitimate traffic.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
Anonymous is mad the government shut down a site that pretty much does NOTHING ELSE but stream copyrighted material? I will continue saying what I have always said: They are teenagers. Megaupload was lucky it lasted so long, and NOBODY should be surprised it's been shut down.

And of course, Anonymous "shuts down" a government website... for what? A day? *gasp* TWO DAYS?! Who cares? Even for the Dept. of Justice this is an annoyance at the very worst.
Megaupload has a lot more then pirated material for download, lots of indie musicians/game designers/movie makers rely on it to distribute there works, I've used it myself to transfer large files to peers. Yes they do have a lot of stolen works on the site but they do take those down upon request.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
AC10 said:
Does anyone fine the timing of the megaupload takedown insanely suspicious?

UMG took down their youtube video which it had no copyright claim to. MegaUpload them filed a lawsuit against UMG.

In what is probably the most coincidental and fortunate timing for UMG, all the owners of MegaUpload just so happen to now branded as criminals and have their site removed.
Plot thickens? It does seem EXTREMELY suspicious that it was a day after the blackout too.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nouw said:
Wait, doesn't the Escapist have the basement for such events? *Hides.
NOOOOOO! THE SCARY THREAD IS DOWN THERE!

OT:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cia.png

Anonymous did no damage the the organizations themselves. Please stop panicking.

(Yes, the comic has been posted, but I shall REpost it until the message gets across.)