Holy Shit

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
The Madman said:
in Pacific Rim we saw an F-35ish fighter strafing a Kaiju point blank with machine guns
dyre said:
I agree that the Pacific Rim scenes were really stupid.
You guys do know that in Rim that scene was a parody of similar scenes in other movies? Unless I'm giving the director too much credit but I don't think so.

Either way fighters are the new filmmakers' toy. And I do understand it's kinda cool, I mean, there really isn't any other weapon like it. Godzilla vs. submarine or Godzilla vs. a tank would be hardly a contest, but yea, the most modern aircraft falling out of a sky indicates some serious stuff.

Of course even if we know that all it takes for a supermodern jet fighter to suffer a catastrophic failure is to fly into a different time zone [http://www.dailytech.com/Lockheeds+F22+Raptor+Gets+Zapped+by+International+Date+Line/article6225.htm].
Hey look, I like del Toro as much as the next guy (Pan's Labyrinth was great), but I'm afraid Pacific Rim was played straight. Unless all that shitty dialogue throughout the whole movie was parody too? :\

IMO, helicopters would be the best craft to use for monster movies. They're meant for close air support and are much more vulnerable to ground attacks than, say, F-35s. Also they look cool. So they're ideal for getting blown up on screen.

And yeah, the F-35 and F-22 programs have run into a lot of issues. I hope they get all that shit sorted out by the time the planes are in active service, or else we've wasted a whole lot of R&D tax dollars...

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Holy fuck that trailer was terrible, it basically went like this:

Horrible actor: Serious stuff!
BWAAAAAUUUHMMMMM!
Horrible Actor: I'm serious, serious stuff!
BWAAAAAAUUUHHHMMMMMM!
Horrible actor number 2: I am bad guy because I am denial!
Horrible actor: I'm hyping up stuff!
BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!
Horrible actor: I need to hype stuff up for the trailer! This is serious guys!
BWAAAAAAAUUUUHHHHMMMMMMM!
BWAAAAAAUUUHMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Horrible actor: Most hype more so the fanboys get excited!
*shot of tons of special effects*
Horrible actor: MOAR CLICHÉ HYPE WORDS!
Inception asian guy: Background history
Female character: More backgroundssss!
Both: COMBINED BACKGROUNDHISTORY/HYPE! PHWOOOARRRR!
*Meanwhile the annoying score from the LSD-bit from 2001: A Space odessey if playing*
Horrible actor: THERE'S NOT ENOUGH HYPE!
Some people: Hype! Hype! Hype! Hype!
BHHAWWWWUUUUHHMMMMMM!
*HUGE SUDDEN EXPLOSION!*
*Trademark Godzilla roar for maximum hype!*
I don't particularly like the trailer either, but I think I can go into a more detail of why:

Bryan Cranston does his best to make dumb clichéd lines sound dramatic and heartfelt
Cliché Inception bwaaams played between clichéd fades to black
aerial distance shots of disaster scenes designed to remind us of natural disaster news coverage
Unbelievably Cliché shot of damaged statue of liberty.
Unbelievably dumb/cliché "back to the stone age" line.
Fade to black and male voice says "God help us all" stolen verbatim from Watchmen trailer
Eerie 2001 music, I do like the effect it has but it's still something borrowed, plus it was already used in the teaser trailer.
People talking about bomb tests, apparently they were trying to kill Godzilla with them, interesting theory though this might have been best left to the actual movie to reveal.
Bryan Cranston once again trying to salvage dumb cliché and even somewhat confusing lines, so now he knows more about the monster than whoever he's talking to?
Shot of weird larval stalactite thing.
Random guy says cliché "can you kill it" line. Well apparently we already tried a hydrogen bomb and that didn't work, so no.
Jet aircraft fall from the sky like snowflakes, something else much larger is seen also hitting the water hmmmm...
Cliché line about the hubris of mankind
shot of whale-like monster skeleton like the one in Pacific Rim
people on roof shoot up 4 red flares for some reason
We see the side of... something, presumably Godzilla but who knows. Slow reveals usually work best when something is actually being revealed.
Giant claw pounds the ground, doesn't look like anything belonging to Godzilla.
Quick shots of things being smashed
First and only clear shot of Godzilla in the trailer, not sure why you'd want to hide the selling point of your movie, it's not like we don't know what Godzilla will look like, and this trailer isn't going for subtlety.
One last Godzilla roar for good measure and then the movie Title.

Oh well, at least we'll always have the 1998 Godzilla movie, that movie was awesome, even if it did have the misfortune of being set in New York not incredibly long before 9/11.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
MarsAtlas said:
The director behind Monsters is also directing this, so the movie also has that going for it, although I think that another writer of this film happens to be the guy who did the Expendables movies.
Well that's interesting! Mildly worrisome about the writer, but wasn't Expendables sort of meant to be retarded? I never actually saw them.
My take on The Expendables was that it was supposed to be a throwback to the major action movies of the '80s, full of over-the-top gunplay/fighting, cheesy dialogue, and head-exploding gory goodness.

I enjoyed the film, it was (and hopefully this doesn't sound too much like a movie critic's poster testimonial) good fun and chock full of explosions. It didn't take itself seriously, in my opinion, and I felt it was a good tribute to those classic films that come to mind when someone says "'80s action".

More on topic, I'm definitely excited for this movie. Godzilla, explosions, metropolitan destruction--what more could you ask for?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Mortis Nuncius said:
BloatedGuppy said:
MarsAtlas said:
The director behind Monsters is also directing this, so the movie also has that going for it, although I think that another writer of this film happens to be the guy who did the Expendables movies.
Well that's interesting! Mildly worrisome about the writer, but wasn't Expendables sort of meant to be retarded? I never actually saw them.
My take on The Expendables was that it was supposed to be a throwback to the major action movies of the '80s, full of over-the-top gunplay/fighting, cheesy dialogue, and head-exploding gory goodness.

I enjoyed the film, it was (and hopefully this doesn't sound too much like a movie critic's poster testimonial) good fun and chock full of explosions. It didn't take itself seriously, in my opinion, and I felt it was a good tribute to those classic films that come to mind when someone says "'80s action".

More on topic, I'm definitely excited for this movie. Godzilla, explosions, metropolitan destruction--what more could you ask for?
Same here. I loved Pacific Rim for the same reasons. Yet apparently popcorn munchers are the devil incarnate nowadays.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
faefrost said:
Mangod said:
My two thought on this:

1) Holy balls, that looks awesome!
2) How f-ing big is Godzilla supposed to be in this? Because that was one of the problems that I latched on to first with the Broderick movie; the giant lizard is apparently capable of shapeshifting.
If anything this one worries me that they may have overcompensated for the wimpy iguana Godzilla in the Broderick movie and gone more than a bit too big. In this trailer it looks not so much like a Hapanese monster showed up, as Japan itself, the whole major island, walked ashore and is wiping Los Angela's off his feet like a small pile of dog poop. Scaling is kind of important to this sort of thing. Godzilla needs to be big enough that he is a true and credible threat. But not so big that it starts interfering with suspension of disbelief.
Just out of curiocity, do you remember if they ever even tried to justify how Godzilla managed to hide AND build a nest and lay all HER eggs inside of Madison Square Garden? I mean, this things shouldered its way through the MetLife building:

That was stupid, even for a movie that was already braindead.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
The Madman said:
These monster movies sure seem to have a thing for destroying jet fighters. I mean in Pacific Rim we saw an F-35ish fighter strafing a Kaiju point blank with machine guns, which would never ever happen, and now we've got fighters randomly falling from the sky for some reason? That's not how these things work. Maybe back when King Kong was swatting down biplanes it would have sorta kinda made sense, but things have changed slightly since then.

Unless the fighters were somehow completely disabled at an extremely high altitude or stalled while going up, then their velocity and aerodynamic design would ensure they continue to fly (Or fall in this case) forward. Yet at the same time we see a pilot ejecting from one when it's nearly at the water, indicating they were only just disabled (somehow) and then immediately began falling directly downward. That doesn't make sense.
Is it not possible that since the scene is taking place at sea that a giant monster could have grabbed and tossed or taken a bite out of an aircraft carrier and the falling jets are the remaining un-piloted jets from the deck of the carrier?
Just a thought.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Spearmaster said:
The Madman said:
These monster movies sure seem to have a thing for destroying jet fighters. I mean in Pacific Rim we saw an F-35ish fighter strafing a Kaiju point blank with machine guns, which would never ever happen, and now we've got fighters randomly falling from the sky for some reason? That's not how these things work. Maybe back when King Kong was swatting down biplanes it would have sorta kinda made sense, but things have changed slightly since then.

Unless the fighters were somehow completely disabled at an extremely high altitude or stalled while going up, then their velocity and aerodynamic design would ensure they continue to fly (Or fall in this case) forward. Yet at the same time we see a pilot ejecting from one when it's nearly at the water, indicating they were only just disabled (somehow) and then immediately began falling directly downward. That doesn't make sense.
Is it not possible that since the scene is taking place at sea that a giant monster could have grabbed and tossed or taken a bite out of an aircraft carrier and the falling jets are the remaining un-piloted jets from the deck of the carrier?
Just a thought.
Of the two fighters, we see a pilot eject from the second one at the last moment (which is exactly when you'd expect a pilot to bail out).

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm excited for the movie for a couple of reasons

1. Lifetime Kaiju fan over here, so getting this out of the way, I'm fairly biased
2. This is actually a very well designed Godzilla. Some die hard fans may disagree, but Godzilla looks pretty bad-ass here. A huge improvement, especially from some of his late 60's early 70's stuff...
3. I'm still fairly sure I saw the Shobijin in the trailer, so it's still possible Mothra will be popping up (I do remember reading they said Godzilla would be fighting 2 other Kaiju in this movie. I'm not sure if that's still on the table or not)

HOWEVER, I'm also skeptical for a couple of reasons

1. The trailer honestly made it sound like almost the same plot as the 1998 "Zilla" movie.
2. It really seems like they're once again trying to do "Godzilla vs. the US Government" and that's not what Godzilla should be about.

I want this film to be good. I really do, but they aren't giving me the best of reasons to assume that it will be at this stage. A good looking Godzilla and a decent actor won't cut it. Even the dumbest of Godzilla films could still be campy and fun in its badness (Godzilla vs. Megalon, Destroy All Monsters, hell even Zilla had some charm) but if this film tries too hard to be serious and ends up being bad, it's really not going to have much to lean on besides wooking pwetty.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Strain42 said:
I'm excited for the movie for a couple of reasons

1. Lifetime Kaiju fan over here, so getting this out of the way, I'm fairly biased
2. This is actually a very well designed Godzilla. Some die hard fans may disagree, but Godzilla looks pretty bad-ass here. A huge improvement, especially from some of his late 60's early 70's stuff...
3. I'm still fairly sure I saw the Shobijin in the trailer, so it's still possible Mothra will be popping up (I do remember reading they said Godzilla would be fighting 2 other Kaiju in this movie. I'm not sure if that's still on the table or not)

HOWEVER, I'm also skeptical for a couple of reasons

1. The trailer honestly made it sound like almost the same plot as the 1998 "Zilla" movie.
2. It really seems like they're once again trying to do "Godzilla vs. the US Government" and that's not what Godzilla should be about.

I want this film to be good. I really do, but they aren't giving me the best of reasons to assume that it will be at this stage. A good looking Godzilla and a decent actor won't cut it. Even the dumbest of Godzilla films could still be campy and fun in its badness (Godzilla vs. Megalon, Destroy All Monsters, hell even Zilla had some charm) but if this film tries too hard to be serious and ends up being bad, it's really not going to have much to lean on besides wooking pwetty.
I thought about turning off and going to bed, but then I saw this comment. COJO TO THE RESCUE!

1. What was the plot of G '98? 'Cause monster front stage it wasn't. I get that this kind of movie is stronger when playing the human element, but G '98 was a fucking romance flick that just happened to have a giant monster in it, and a retarded one at that. There was literally no reason for any of the main characters to be anywhere near the monster, and the film struggled to find anything for the characters (even the monster) to do. G 2014's main character, meanwhile, is a soldier and as such will be on the front lines anyway, thereby solving multiple problems out of the gate.
2. THE US GOVERNMENT TRIED TO NUKE GODZILLA AND IT DIDN'T WORK! That alone tells you a few things. In G vs. US it's a curb-stomp battle this time. Plus Japan in this film's universe actually has some involvement this time.

Hope that cleared things up with your skepticism. However, with that in mind, I must balance it out by crushing one of your hypes.

I keep seeing this pop up on the G 2014 site and am now kind of annoyed by it. 2 kaiju? Yes. Other Toho kaiju? NO! The 2 non-Godzilla kaiju are original monsters. Expies , perhaps, but no one seems to remember the sort of unspoken rule of adapting things for anything. To use Marvel as an example:

1. Establish (Iron Man)
2. Add shit later (films building to The Avengers)

That's not even covering how much it must have cost just to get the rights to Godzilla in the first place. Do you think they would go out of their way to use more money to just get the rights to other Toho monsters and not have any left to make the fucking movie? They put $150 million into this film, money better spent making the movie to begin with than pleasing you (fans in general, me included) by adding other Toho kaiju. I'm a fan myself, and I'm just happy to get a new Godzilla film. Just be pleased with that and keep your fingers crossed for Mothra and others later down the line okay? I apologize if I sounded harsh at the end there, but I don't have an account at the G 2014 site I frequent and felt that it needed to be said. Again, sorry if I hurt you.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
cojo965 said:
On the contrary, that doesn't kill one of my hypes. It enhances it.

As soon as they announced Godzilla would be fighting two other Kaiju, my hope was that at least one of them would be a new monster. I like seeing new monsters. So for me I was hoping that MAYBE they set up Anguirus or someone and then bring in a new guy. Honestly if both are new, I'd be fine with that. I'm not going to see this because I wanna be blasted by nostalgia of monsters I'm familiar with. I welcome the chance for new monsters. The director already said he wants to try and do a Monster Island themed movie if this one is a success, so obviously I'm not expecting them to play all their cards at once.

The last new ones we really got in the Godzilla universe were Krystalak and Obsidius and...well...I mean Obsidius was kinda cool.

But that doesn't put my fears to rest. I'm still skeptical that half (or worse, more) of this movie is just gonna be a bunch of US Military "money shots" trying to blast the beast with less focus on the king himself, treating him like any other movie threat that would pop up. The original teaser trailer had that fear at its highest. It's BECAUSE the main character is a soldier that I'm worried about this. (though for what it's worth, I am slightly comforted that the trailer seemed to focus more on the scientist character, which is a bit more standard Godzilla)

I mean I'm not saying I'm not excited for this movie. This is probably my second highest anticipated movie this year (Guardians of the Galaxy trumps it by releasing a trailer that got me excited for it) Godzilla just has me skeptical is all. There's a lot of things that could go wrong, and there's no problem in bracing myself for them.

If I'm wrong and it's just pure awesome exploding from every orifice, great.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Coakle said:
]Isn't every Asylum movie just a blockbuster with poor special effects?
You clearly haven't seen Nazis at the Center of the Earth. No amount of special effects could have turned that movie into a blockbuster. I guarantee that about 90% of audiences would walk out at the forced abortion scene (they take fetus stem-cells and use them to bring Hitler back to life in the form of robo-Hitler). Why did I watch this monstrosity you ask? Netflix has an abundance of Asylum movies and my friends and I decided to make a drinking game out of bad movies.

OT: I'm looking forward to this. It seems to be doing away with a lot of the shit that annoyed me about the last Hollywood Godzilla movie. This one looks like it's returning him to being an unstoppable force of nature. Also Bryan Cranston.

Jessabi

Jul 26, 2011
I started jumping up and down with excitement half way through the trailer, this is definitely a must-see at the cinema for me! Love the musical score and the restrictive view of Gozilla itself until the brief shot of the face to build suspense. To me it looks like it'll be awesome.

But hey, as a lover of the cheesy cringe-fest that was the 1998 Matthew Broderick version, what do I know? ;)

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Watching the trailer and the trailer commentary have gotten me officially pumped. It sounds like Edwards and his team have put some serious thought into the plot and have tried their best to stay true to the original. I can't wait for May 13th!

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
So far I'm not excited.
I just don't see the appeal. And that soundtrack isn't helping.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Strain42 said:
cojo965 said:
On the contrary, that doesn't kill one of my hypes. It enhances it.

As soon as they announced Godzilla would be fighting two other Kaiju, my hope was that at least one of them would be a new monster. I like seeing new monsters. So for me I was hoping that MAYBE they set up Anguirus or someone and then bring in a new guy. Honestly if both are new, I'd be fine with that. I'm not going to see this because I wanna be blasted by nostalgia of monsters I'm familiar with. I welcome the chance for new monsters. The director already said he wants to try and do a Monster Island themed movie if this one is a success, so obviously I'm not expecting them to play all their cards at once.

The last new ones we really got in the Godzilla universe were Krystalak and Obsidius and...well...I mean Obsidius was kinda cool.

But that doesn't put my fears to rest. I'm still skeptical that half (or worse, more) of this movie is just gonna be a bunch of US Military "money shots" trying to blast the beast with less focus on the king himself, treating him like any other movie threat that would pop up. The original teaser trailer had that fear at its highest. It's BECAUSE the main character is a soldier that I'm worried about this. (though for what it's worth, I am slightly comforted that the trailer seemed to focus more on the scientist character, which is a bit more standard Godzilla)

I mean I'm not saying I'm not excited for this movie. This is probably my second highest anticipated movie this year (Guardians of the Galaxy trumps it by releasing a trailer that got me excited for it) Godzilla just has me skeptical is all. There's a lot of things that could go wrong, and there's no problem in bracing myself for them.

If I'm wrong and it's just pure awesome exploding from every orifice, great.
Well see, the soldier in question has had a number of major life events that Godzilla or the other monsters were responsible for. His mom was killed in an incident at a nuclear power plant, leaving his dad (Cranston) convinced that the government is hiding something. Also he has a wife and kid that are unfortunately in one of the cities that are attacked. As you can see, it all goes back to the monsters.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
The Madman said:
These monster movies sure seem to have a thing for destroying jet fighters. I mean in Pacific Rim we saw an F-35ish fighter strafing a Kaiju point blank with machine guns,
I was so confused when i saw that, i think planes actually hit them twice
Not sure what the point of YET ANOTHER godzilla is besides shaking more idiot wallets with the super srs drama wank, the 2000-ish one and pacific rim has more than satisfied my desire for giants smashing cities

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
SecretNegative said:
MarsAtlas said:
I'll just refer you to this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys

I'm sorry I bothered you with my standards and actually rate movies based not on if they have big things but if they actually are well made.
The original Godzilla is actually a damn good allegorical monster movie. It IS well made. Aside from that, I can't really comment on Kaiju movies, because most of them just come off as silly (probably because they are), but I urge you to check it out if you haven't. I honestly don't think anyone who's seen the original would call it a poorly made film.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
dyre said:
Nothing like an animated debate on the correct manner in which an F-35 should fall from the sky...
Indeed. In fact, I'm gonna start ignoring it simply because if the manner they fall out of the sky in the movie is incongruent with reality, which is something I'd only know about from reading this stuff, then it'll bug me for the entirety of the film.
Well if it helps then that sorta crash can happen to any type of plane if it encounters a significantly strong wind shear. So um maybe imagine that Godzilla let out the largest fart ever and created a lot of clear air turbulence while the F-35's were flying past it's tail maybe? Yay movie saved <-sarcasm, though I'll probably end up seeing it at some point, probably on DVD.