Holy Shit

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
michael87cn said:
It's sad that this is what movies, and even video games are becoming. Visual and audio popcorn. Snacks.
Intellectual popcorn has been around for a long time. I enjoy reading garbage science fiction books from the 70's even though I know the characters and the plot is stupid. It is about how interestingly stupid it is that keeps me turning pages.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
SecretNegative said:
I'm seriously going to dare you to come up with a reason why this movie looks good other than "It's godzilla" or "it's a huge monster."
"It's Bryan Cranston."

OT: Yeah, I don't know. The first trailer atleast had this unusual horror movie vibe to it, which is unusual, but this was pretty generic. Yeah the cinematography was great, but... so what? I rarely see more than one film a year, and so far that's already been The Lego Movie. I can't see this dragging me into theaters...

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Catfood220 said:
SecretNegative said:
Seriously, why does every single movie trailer have to have the "BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!" in it, have we no other ways to create tension? Coming this summer, the feel good romantic comedy of the season *man looks intensely into a woman's eyes* BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!!!!
It's quite simple. The Reapers now control Earth's filmmaking industry. They are simply providing additional voiceovers.

Unfortunately, due to the mentioning of a part of the Mass Effect Universe, the rest of this thread has now been cancelled, and has now been replaced with a debate on the Mass Effect ending. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Here's something a lot of people might not realize: Hollywood's not dumbing down, or however you want to phrase that. It's always been like this. Amadeus (which is, to me, the greatest film ever made) shared theater space with dumb action films and dumb slasher films. Casablanca shared theater space terrible monster mash films and the rampant sequelitis that plagued "horror" films at the time (Pop Quiz: how many Mummy movies were there?). And has anyone watched old James Bond films lately? Sure, they're great fun, but they're also not any smarter than the aforementioned dumb 80s action films. Also, Bat Shark Repellent.

American cinema has always marketed first and foremost to the lowest common denominator.

Moloch Sacrifice said:
Catfood220 said:
SecretNegative said:
Seriously, why does every single movie trailer have to have the "BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!" in it, have we no other ways to create tension? Coming this summer, the feel good romantic comedy of the season *man looks intensely into a woman's eyes* BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!!!!
It's quite simple. The Reapers now control Earth's filmmaking industry. They are simply providing additional voiceovers.

Unfortunately, due to the mentioning of a part of the Mass Effect Universe, the rest of this thread has now been cancelled, and has now been replaced with a debate on the Mass Effect ending. We apologise for any inconvenience.
I solemnly vow not to bring up my opinion on Mass Effect's ending in this particular thread.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
michael87cn said:
I don't need to watch the trailer to know this will be a bad story. I only enjoy movies with good stories. Remakes have like a 99.9% ratio of being bad. (if you have to copy someone elses idea, you probably can't come up with your own).

It's sad that this is what movies, and even video games are becoming. Visual and audio popcorn. Snacks.

Also the inception noise is much like the piano clang. I freaking hate that thing, it sometimes pops up in freaking comedies for petes sake.
You do realize that the complains about movie remakes are as old as movies, and that there are plenty of example of remakes being better then the source material, right? I mean hell, sure we have some bad examples in recent memory (Reboot Cop, Meh of Steel), but we also have good examples of remakes that are genuinely better then the things they rebooted (Dredd, True Grit).

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Zontar said:
michael87cn said:
I don't need to watch the trailer to know this will be a bad story. I only enjoy movies with good stories. Remakes have like a 99.9% ratio of being bad. (if you have to copy someone elses idea, you probably can't come up with your own).

Also the inception noise is much like the piano clang. I freaking hate that thing, it sometimes pops up in freaking comedies for petes sake.
You do realize that the complains about movie remakes are as old as movies, and that there are plenty of example of remakes being better then the source material, right? I mean hell, sure we have some bad examples in recent memory (Reboot Cop, Meh of Steel), but we also have good examples of remakes that are genuinely better then the things they rebooted (Dredd, True Grit).
The Dark Knight Trilogy was a reboot of the Tim Burton Batman films, which were reboots of Batman in general, as well. Heck, the Adam West Batman was a reboot of sorts. Speaking of the 60s, the Hammer Horror films were all reboots. How many Phantom of the Opera, Robin Hood, or King Arthur movies are there? (Heck, technically, ever single iteration, book or film, of the Robin Hood and King Arthur stories are reboots right back to Le Morte d'Arthur and A Gest of Robyn Hode.)

However, I think the thing is that, lately, there've been more reboots/reimaginings/adaptations of earlier work than in the past. I, personally, don't think that's inherently a bad thing, since enduring stories and characters are good for cultural consistency. The problem is that the vast majority of recent ones are mediocre, if not bad. They've also been doing this to earlier works that don't need it. The Back to the Future movies, for example, don't need rebooting/remaking, since they still stand as strongly now as they did in the 80s. Godzilla, on the other hand, is a product of 1950s Japan, and, being Japanese cinema, is quite slow and deliberate in its delivery. I think an American reimagining of that story is no bad thing inherently, and it remains to be seen whether this iteration will be any good or not. I think it looks great, but that's no guarantee of anything.

...plus, come to think of it, American reimaginings of Japanese media has never proven to be... successful. I know I've never seen an American reimagining of Japanese media that I liked. (I didn't like The Ring, the 1999 Godzilla film was awful, I've heard the Grudge was terrible though admittedly I didn't much care for Ju-On either, and American dubs of anime tend to be inferior to the original in terms of script and story unless they just translate it directly... on the other hand, Power Rangers).

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I want to see this film.
Its like The original Godzilla saw the CGI Zilla get upstaged by the Cloverfield Monster and said
"Amateurs. Sit down Junior and let me show you how its done."

Godzilla is back people. And he is EPIC.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Stabinbac said:
I completely understand why SecretNegative is baffled that people think this looks good. Just the same generic disaster movie.
I think the word you're looking for is "intolerant"; s/he's not stating confusion over why someone would be excited for this movie, s/he was completely arrogant and pranced around on his high horse claiming that this movie looks stupid and how shallow the originals are and that anyone with a brain wouldn't find any enjoyment in this movie whatsoever.

I could say I've seen an insightful movie but you may not agree and that's okay, but replying in such an abrasive manner and falling back on more insults when you've been called out on your aggressive behaviour makes someone look rather shallow.

OT: Hell, I was happy enough with the teaser. I don't even need to see the long trailer to get pumped for this movie. Even if it's not deep or entirely thought-provoking, I like dinosaurs -shot- But seriously though, I'm just excited

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I loved the Godzilla movies as a kid. Even the 1998 reboot to an extent. So far, this is looking to be pretty good, I'll definitely go see this.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Riverwolf said:
American dubs of anime tend to be inferior to the original in terms of script and story unless they just translate it directly...
2 words: Ghost Stories. An anime that was terrible in its original version, and was given a gag dub that's both superior and for more well known then the original story it was spawned from. Plus, have you seen dubs nowadays? The days of 4kids are long gone, now dubs are at worst passable overall (hentai being the exception, though hearing extracts on YouTube is fun in a "so bad it's good" way). Plus, subs tend to be.... liberal in their choice of terms for translations (sometimes a direct translation is not the best choice but still used), and I've watched many shows with subs that the voice acting is worst then English dubs (though not many people seem to notice them since they can't speak the language).

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Zontar said:
Riverwolf said:
American dubs of anime tend to be inferior to the original in terms of script and story unless they just translate it directly...
2 words: Ghost Stories. An anime that was terrible in its original version, and was given a gag dub that's both superior and for more well known then the original story it was spawned from. Plus, have you seen dubs nowadays? The days of 4kids are long gone, now dubs are at worst passable overall (hentai being the exception, though hearing extracts on YouTube is fun in a "so bad it's good" way). Plus, subs tend to be.... liberal in their choice of terms for translations (sometimes a direct translation is not the best choice but still used), and I've watched many shows with subs that the voice acting is worst then English dubs (though not many people seem to notice them since they can't speak the language).
I've never heard of Ghost Stories, but that sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out. Plus, come to think of it, I'd MUCH rather watch Samurai Pizza Cats than whatever show originally spawned it.

You are right, subs can often be misleading, but I still generally prefer that because I can at least hear the original language, and I've seen enough anime and heard enough of Japanese to pick up on a couple of key phrases that can, in my mind, correct an error in the subs if it's a common one.

Though I did bring up direct translations, by which I meant more contemporary dubs like Rurouni Kenshin or Inu Yasha (yeah, I know they're not exactly "contemporary" any more, but I remember Kenshin being one of the first semi-children's anime to be an almost word-for-word dub, right down to getting the original singer of the show's opening to sing the English version). To clarify, I was referring to reimaginings, that is to say, "dubs" that take all kinds of liberties with the original story, ala the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, which is, for all intents and purposes, a COMPLETELY different show to the original.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Holy fuck that trailer was terrible, it basically went like this:

Horrible actor: Serious stuff!
BWAAAAAUUUHMMMMM!
Horrible Actor: I'm serious, serious stuff!
BWAAAAAAUUUHHHMMMMMM!
Yup...at least they didn't do that think where the bits between loud noises gets shorter and shorter, so you can't see anything.

SonOfVoorhees said:
Dont like the new trailer. How can USA hide a creature thats destroying cities?
Yeah, wondering that myself.

Now, it is perfectly possible to make a serious, deep monster movie, which looks like what they've tried. However, it's not easy, and, despite not having seen the film, I feel confident in saying they'll fail, ending up woefully pretentious. There will probably be a painfully generic straight, white American male lead who spends most of the movie worrying about the painfully generic straight, white American love interest, who will be even less interesting. Or worse, she'll be "feisty".

If in doubt, just have fun and blow stuff up. A good silly action movie full of amusing overacting is much better than a half-hearted "deep and meaningful" movie demanding to be taken seriously.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Huh. It actually doesn't look like it will be shit. Though the dialogue seems like it will be boring.

Reminds me of Cloverfield, which I actually liked, so I hope this turns out well. It would be nice to go to the cinema again.

DelinquentTurtle

Mar 3, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
Dont like the new trailer. How can USA hide a creature thats destroying cities?

I don't think they were hiding Godzilla. It was probably the other kaiju which Godzilla ends up fighting (it has been confirmed there will be Godzilla vs other kaiju) and there were snippets like that flying kaiju taking out the fighter jets.

I'm feeling the plot will be sort of Godzilla wrecks shit in the 50's. USA try to nuke it dead (covering up as tests as said in the trailer) but doesn't work. Godzilla vanishes into ocean. Meanwhile USA and or Japan try to make their own creatures to try to kill Godzilla (this is what is hidden in those army bases they refer to). They eventually lose control of their creations which start tearing cities apart. Godzilla shows up again saves the day while destroying the place reminding us of our hubris or some shit like that.

Seems like a storyline Hollywood would come up with.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
SecretNegative said:
This is honestly pretty hilarious, call one trailer out for being terrible, and five people jump on your throat. This is kinda what happens when you (rightfully) call out Joss Whedon, Batman, the Avengers, Marvel movies, Nintendo, 8-bit games from the 80's, Dark Souls around here, people don't seem to accept those things being bad in their worldview. I didn't jump on anyone who liked the trailer, if you actually noticed that, but apparantly not.

And seriously it's intelectually dishonest to say the appeal of Godzilla has ever been anything but a giant monster smashing things, you can enjoy that if you want, sure, I won't look down on you, but don't pretend it's anything but that.

I really had no idea people actually for this upset just because something they liked was critisized, but holy hell did I just step on a hornet's nest. This community is just becoming a parody of itself, right now. It's just a fucking movie guys, it's not even that, it's a trailer, and you still get your Jimmies rustled? Come on, that's just silly and I hope you know it.
The lack of self awareness is strong in this one.

You know what? I'll think I'll engage with you...

"This is kinda what happens when you (rightfully) call out Joss Whedon, Batman, the Avengers, Marvel movies, Nintendo, 8-bit games from the 80's, Dark Souls around here, people don't seem to accept those things being bad in their worldview."

Explain to me how any of these things are bad objectively. I mean, clearly many people are wrong, so do us a favour and show us the error of our ways.

"And seriously it's intelectually dishonest to say the appeal of Godzilla has ever been anything but a giant monster smashing things, you can enjoy that if you want, sure, I won't look down on you, but don't pretend it's anything but that."

This is quite telling of your credibility on the subject. I'd also be careful of throwing accusations of intellectual dishonesty around... you know, stones in glass houses.

"I really had no idea people actually for this upset just because something they liked was critisized, but holy hell did I just step on a hornet's nest."

It's not the criticism... you know what, this poster said it all:

MarsAtlas said:
SecretNegative said:
This is honestly pretty hilarious, call one trailer out for being terrible, then condescendingly call anybody who is excited about the movie an idiot, and five people jump on your throat.
Fixed.

I didn't jump on anyone who liked the trailer, if you actually noticed that, but apparantly not.
"come up with a reason why this movie looks good other than "It's godzilla" or "it's a huge monster that destroys cities" that doesn't make you look like someone who enjoys Transformer or the fast and the furiious."

with the implication that people who enjoy those movies are "dumb"

"Ok, you win, Godzilla is hereby provably a film worthy to be studied by the academics for years."

With a passive-aggressive, sarcastic tone towards somebody for calmly pointing out the faults in your argument after you challenged somebody to do so

"are your standards seriously that low?" and "I'm sorry I bothered you with my standards"

Saying that somebody has low/no standards to like something that you don't.

All of you assholes who complain about cinema being dumbed down" followed later with " I wouldn't have such a problem with it if people actually didn't go out of their way to complain about how cinema is being dumbed down to then go to watch Godzilla movies next."

Calling people who hold that opinion yet want to see this film "assholes".

Yeah, you tooooootally weren't insulting anybody.

It's just a fucking movie guys, it's not even that, it's a trailer, and you still get your Jimmies rustled?
Says the guy whose opening post in the thread was CAPS LOCK ANGER GRAAAAAAAH!
Starting to see this lack of self awareness yet?

"It's just a fucking movie guys, it's not even that, it's a trailer..."

You know, you can't swing a cat without hitting a bad movie, so trashing on a trailer is bound to net more hits then misses. However, that is not the mark of a good critic. At most you can criticse the ad, at no point can you criticise the film. There might be tells of bad things to come, but until you see the finished product you can't possibly be an authority of quality.

But as for rustling jimmies... you arrive on here and your opening post is LITERALLY an ALL CAPS RAGE! post in the form of a Chan message board. You call Bryan Cranston a horrible actor, which seems like you are deliberately being controversial. Call people of oppositional opinions "assholes" (debating on reporting this, not sure you need to go one step further to a ban). Dare people to defend the trailer (at this point you were ranting...) then get all bratty when people promptly do.

And here we are, you getting all pissy and whiney that a few posters responded to your "dare" and claiming that other posters are acting irrationally and that you didn't expect a response yet you were the one initiating an engagement. And you call others Intellectually dishonest?

Did you hear that? That crashing sound? That was your glass house crumbling around you.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Watching the trailer, my only thought is: Inception noise. Godzilla, 'Scuse me, guys, I farted...'
As to the planes falling out of the sky, you don't suppose Godzilla might've smacked em down? And they spun that way and we're just seeing the hitting the water part of the spin...?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
Stabinbac said:
I completely understand why SecretNegative is baffled that people think this looks good. Just the same generic disaster movie.
I think the word you're looking for is "intolerant"; s/he's not stating confusion over why someone would be excited for this movie, s/he was completely arrogant and pranced around on his high horse claiming that this movie looks stupid and how shallow the originals are and that anyone with a brain wouldn't find any enjoyment in this movie whatsoever.

I could say I've seen an insightful movie but you may not agree and that's okay, but replying in such an abrasive manner and falling back on more insults when you've been called out on your aggressive behaviour makes someone look rather shallow.

OT: Hell, I was happy enough with the teaser. I don't even need to see the long trailer to get pumped for this movie. Even if it's not deep or entirely thought-provoking, I like dinosaurs -shot- But seriously though, I'm just excited
You know, I'd use a different word, but from what I've seen, Mods instantly punish people for implying a poster may be from a terribad horror movie from 1990 that was directed by Claudio Fragasso. Just an impression I get from his posts.

And I'm not even excited for this film. The trailer didn't make me anticipate it and I wasn't exactly waiting for it with baited breath before or after watching it. It's not a very good trailer. I'm not insulting anyone who liked it, though. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'll probably end up watching it at some point, though. Simply because I do like Godzilla. And Pacific Rim. Wouldn't it be awesome to see Godzilla fight Gipsy Danger?

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
I must admit that the amount of butt-hurt over a movie that is likely generic and boring is pretty hilarious. Keep allowing people to have opinions you classy gentleman.