Holy Shit

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012

Yeah that's right, Godzilla is officially here. That trailer was incredible. So what did we see? Well the monsters are causing their own destruction for one rather than the military. Also said destruction is not bound to a single city, and will be global in scale. But what did you guys see?

captcha: no friend of mine
You mean?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I had a feeling this would be about Godzilla. Something made it inevitable.

Anyway, looks nice. And the quick glimpse of Godzilla's head puts some of my fears of it looking too "heroic" to bed. Though mabye upon further reveal this could change again.

I love how they're using the 2001 hymn to add to the grandiosity of the concept of giant monsters. It certainly works.

But I hope they're not going to use that 'nobody believes the bellringer' cliché, because the beginning of the trailer really gave me that impression.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
These monster movies sure seem to have a thing for destroying jet fighters. I mean in Pacific Rim we saw an F-35ish fighter strafing a Kaiju point blank with machine guns, which would never ever happen, and now we've got fighters randomly falling from the sky for some reason? That's not how these things work. Maybe back when King Kong was swatting down biplanes it would have sorta kinda made sense, but things have changed slightly since then.

Unless the fighters were somehow completely disabled at an extremely high altitude or stalled while going up, then their velocity and aerodynamic design would ensure they continue to fly (Or fall in this case) forward. Yet at the same time we see a pilot ejecting from one when it's nearly at the water, indicating they were only just disabled (somehow) and then immediately began falling directly downward. That doesn't make sense.

Jeez Hollywood, get it right.

Will not watch. 0/10 movie. Terrible!

(Seriously though, neat trailer. No clue what to think of it though, I'm taking a cautious wait & see approach.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I am official stoke up for Godzilla!! I liked how everyone is terrify of it (they danm right should be crappy their pants) and they all haven't got a good look at its pretty face!

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Well hot diggedy! Color me excited. I hope they manage to keep that tone and make Godzilla feel threatening throughout the whole movie.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
The Madman said:
These monster movies sure seem to have a thing for destroying jet fighters. I mean in Pacific Rim we saw an F-35ish fighter strafing a Kaiju point blank with machine guns, which would never ever happen, and now we've got fighters randomly falling from the sky for some reason? That's not how these things work. Maybe back when King Kong was swatting down biplanes it would have sorta kinda made sense, but things have changed slightly since then.

Unless the fighters were somehow completely disabled at an extremely high altitude or stalled while going up, then their velocity and aerodynamic design would ensure they continue to fly (Or fall in this case) forward. Yet at the same time we see a pilot ejecting from one when it's nearly at the water, indicating they were only just disabled (somehow) and then immediately began falling directly downward. That doesn't make sense.
Heh, there's this funny line in an anime called Fate Zero where two fighter pilots scrambled to do recon on a giant monster complain that if this were a movie, they'd be the ones who get killed in order to show how powerful the monster is (they then proceed to get killed).

I agree that the Pacific Rim scenes were really stupid. As for Godzilla, maybe someone detonated a nuke and the resulting EMP disabled the F-35s? Or maybe this is Hollywood lobbying on behalf of the A-10 Warthogs, which the Pentagon has suggested that we scrap in favor of the multirole F-35s...everyone knows A-10s would be better suited to fight giant monsters!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
dyre said:
Heh, there's this funny line in an anime called Fate Zero where two fighter pilots scrambled to do recon on a giant monster complain that if this were a movie, they'd be the ones who get killed in order to show how powerful the monster is (they then proceed to get killed).

I agree that the Pacific Rim scenes were really stupid. As for Godzilla, maybe someone detonated a nuke and the resulting EMP disabled the F-35s? Or maybe this is Hollywood lobbying on behalf of the A-10 Warthogs, which the Pentagon has suggested that we scrap in favor of the multirole F-35s...everyone knows A-10s would be better suited to fight giant monsters!
EMP still doesn't explain why the planes are falling as they are. Planes don't do that, especially not jet fighter, except under some very specific conditions.

But the important thing here is that you're totally right. A-10's would be far better aircraft for fighting giant monsters. Ideal actually! In fact the movie using F-35's at all (Or at least lookalikes) in these sorts of situations is just more proof of how terrible the movie is going to be.

My opinion about this movie has changed as is now at -2/10. Needs more Warthogs!

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Even more excited than I had been. I'm so there when this hits theaters.

SecretNegative said:
I'm seriously going to dare you to come up with a reason why this movie looks good other than "It's godzilla" or "it's a huge monster that destroys cities" that doesn't make you look like someone who enjoys Transformer or the fast and the furiious. Seriously, try.
Challenge accepted.

As is hinted in the trailer, the monster here represents both the uncontrollable and worst parts of nature and human nature. Godzilla is an unknowable alien entity in a similar vein to a Lovecraftian monstrosity, but he is also us. Or rather, he's a result of our actions.

In this way Godzilla can be seen as the ultimate metaphor for man-made environmental disasters. Such as massive, ecosystem-shifting extinctions from overhunting or pollution. And the disastrous extreme weather patterns and rising sea levels we're seeing as a result of rapid global warming. Which has been accelerated by man-made greenhouse gases. And of course pollution and radioactivity in general.

So the monster allows us to put a face on our worst fears. That the planet is out to kill us, and it's really all our fault.

Also, Bryan Cranston is cute.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
The Madman said:
But the important thing here is that you're totally right. A-10's would be far better aircraft for fighting giant monsters. Ideal actually! In fact the movie using F-35's at all (Or at least lookalikes) in these sorts of situations is just more proof of how terrible the movie is going to be.

My opinion about this movie has changed as is now at -2/10. Needs more Warthogs!
Ah, but that's exactly what the Pentagon is trying to do! That is, they plan to scrap the A-10 and rely on F-35s for ground support (and pretty much all other roles).
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/dod-aims-to-scrap-a-10-to-keep-f-35-alive-in-new-budget/

Clearly Hollywood is trying to demonstrate that this is a terrible idea by showing the F-35's inability to handle anti-Godzilla operations; you should be thanking them!

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
SecretNegative said:
I read your description of the trailer before watching it (in fact your description was the only reason I watched it) and by the 3rd "BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!" I was laughing at it, so thanks for that.

Seriously, why does every single movie trailer have to have the "BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!" in it, have we no other ways to create tension? Coming this summer, the feel good romantic comedy of the season *man looks intensely into a woman's eyes* BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!!!!

Also, you forgot to mention the destroyed Statue of Liberty which now seems to be a thing that you must have in every disaster movie based in America these days.

Movie looks very meh. May watch it if I find myself with nothing better to do.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
The Madman said:
EMP still doesn't explain why the planes are falling as they are. Planes don't do that, especially not jet fighter, except under some very specific conditions.
Modern military jets are built to be inherently unstable. This enables them to be ultra-agile. Their psychotic natural flight and glide characteristics are kept in check by computers.

Computers get killed by what?

The cables and levers of old are gone. Everything in a modern aircraft has to pass through some kind of computer, before something moves, thrusts, burns, spins or shoots.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
SecretNegative said:
This, no kidding, looks like an asylum movie with decent special effects. All of you assholes who complain about cinema being dumbed down, you finally have your one example.
Isn't every Asylum movie just a blockbuster with poor special effects? Aw well, I liked the trailer. It established that the army won't have the "Should we nuke it?" dilemma. They tried that, it didn't work. So it's a pretty safe bet that the army will be woefully ineffective against Godzilla. That means either they give Godzilla a dumb weakness or they throw in something to upend the status-quo.

Hopefully it's the latter.

SecretNegative said:
I mean, this movie looks like the dumbest piece of shit that's cynically trying to cash in on nostalgia for movies that were fucking terrible to begin with.
???

I suppose this isn't your type of movie. I really like the Kaiju and I think this movie will be a good time. However it would be delusional to assume it is a game changer that converts people who already know they can't stand the genre.

Edit: I do think it's dumb and a bit cynical to set the movie in New York. The trailer made it obvious that Godzilla was in the Pacific Ocean. Unless we get a scene where he plows through the Panama Canal, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Edit Edit: Like Zontar pointed out, that Statue of Liberty was in Vegas. Nevada is still pretty inland. Hmm...

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
dyre said:
Clearly Hollywood is trying to demonstrate that this is a terrible idea by showing the F-35's inability to handle anti-Godzilla operations; you should be thanking them!
Hollywood's been destroying F-35s for a while now....

Man of Steel - Easy pickings for Zod.

Green Lantern - Testing crash

Die Hard 4.0 - Destroyed by John McLane.....even though he wasn't armed in any way!

The Avengers - HULK SMASH!!

Captcha - rodents of unusual size

And there we have it. The enemies of Godzilla, let slip in an oddly proportioned font on a gaming forum!

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
@the guys in the jet fighter talk

Its not beyond Godzilla lore to have flying monsters. I mean, looking at the first and second trailer, I'm like 99% certain that there's at least one other monster, and I counted what could be upwards of three different ones. I don't know how they're handling the designs of other monsters, so I don't know who, but I've basically determined this by going "wait a minute, that doesn't look like Godzilla..." and then comparing that piece of anatomy to the Godzilla figurine that has already been shown. Its by no means fallible, but I think the shots of the subway car getting torn apart, whatever it is that they cut to at 1:33, the claw thingy at 2:07 (looks like part of an insect), and obviously biological object at 1:28 that clearly is not gonna be Godzilla. It could also explain the goo over the radioactive/nuclear whatever it is at about the one minute mark. Of course none of that is confirmation that there's going to be another monster, but I think its safe to say that in this Godzilla-verse, there can be other monsters, based on the enormous skeleton shown at like 1:45.

So yeah, I expect giant monster fights, including at least one that can fly. They'd be incredibly stupid not to, after Godzilla 1998 being so bad for many reasons, including the fact that that film had no other monsters or any kind of monster fights.

Catfood220 said:
Also, you forgot to mention the destroyed Statue of Liberty which now seems to be a thing that you must have in every disaster movie based in America these days.
Since this isn't a widespread disaster flick, I expect a lot of the movie to occur in New York, and that they showed it specifically for the reason that everybody knows Statue of Liberty = New York. Its an easy way to setup the location of the film in a trailer, just like how the trailers to many films that take place in other countries often make note of architecture specific to that region of the world in the trailer. Its New York because its the biggest and most populous American city, as well as having the strongest ties of any american city to the eastern hemisphere - it'd be stupid to use any other city for what they're aiming to be the summer blockbuster of the year.
I feel that the damage in New York was not by Godzilla because confirmed attack sites have so far been centered on the Pacific at locations like Hawaii and San Francisco. So it's not out of the question that by the time the movie's plot kicks in monster (or MUTO) attacks have been on the rise perhaps due to becoming agitated by the rise of increasingly big monsters, with Godzilla perhaps at the heart of it by way of being the biggest yet.