Homeland Security Seizes Dozens of Piracy Websites

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
Jumwa said:
Department of Homeland Security cracking down on... internet pirates?

It's nice to see that wonderful creepy-sounding institution committing itself and its resources to urgent matters such as movie piracy. It takes the hearts of new-born American babies to fuel illegal torrenting after all.
...since when was "Big Brother" part of the Homeland Security job description?

Department of Homeland Security: Don't worry, we're always watching.
Ever since the Patriot Act.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
It, and these recent seizures, seem to indicate that the internet piracy scene will face new challenges in the decade ahead.

Culling the heard of the weak sites only strengthens the numbers and support of the larger ones. Until the industry mutates to a point that renders piracy obsolete (somehow or another), piracy will exist, endure, and evolve.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Xanthious said:
Cryo84R said:
Can we start putting pirates in prison yet?

Please?
Sheeple like you blow my mind you really do. You gladly sit there going ass to mouth with the big media companies eating every piece of bull shit they spew your way with a big stupid smile on your face and don't seem to care that they are using their money to buy off politicians in order to bring the internet in the US to something on par with what China and Iran currently have. . . . But hey if it stops some 15 yr old from getting a few free songs who cares about silly things like rights.
Aw, did i suggest that maybe someone should pay for things they get? That would put a real ding in your entertainment library, wouldn't it?

Entertainment is a luxury, not a right. You do not have the right to steal luxury items you didn't pay for. Turning this concept into some kind of conspiracy theory doesn't really help your juvenile temper tantrums.

Don't be a douchbag, don't steal things that don't belong to you.
I can only imagine being so totally and completely naive is probably a happy peaceful feeling. I bet it's damn near zen-like isn't it? However, those of us that are capable of thinking for ourselves realize that the big media corporations are just as bad if not worse than the pirates.

The pirates aren't the ones that are trying to censor the internet and shit all over everyone's freedom of speech. The pirates aren't the ones buying off politicians to forward their own agenda. People like Rupert Murdoch and his ilk, not the pirates, have come out and said things like he believes content providers should be the ones "running the internet". The pirates aren't the rich and powerful businessmen that are in a state of panic because their ancient business models are no longer viable.

Organizations like the MPAA and the RIAA know their time is coming to an end and rather than adapt and innovate they choose simply to pay off the people in a position of power and effectively curb stomp all over our rights in the name of combating piracy.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
How about instead of taking down the whole damned site, they make every uploaded torrent have to be checked and approved by a Homeland Security agent.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Now this is a good way to start off the day. Hope they can keep taking others down.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Benmonkey7 said:
70 isn't much, but it's a start at least. Will we ever get rid of piracy? Probably not, but hopefully we can slow it down. Throw some wrenches in the piracy machine. There's a difference between freedoms and stealing.
>stealing

When will people fucking get this right. Piracy is not stealing, piracy is copyright infringement. Here, I'll lay it down for you.

Stealing removes the product from the original owner, and that's the end of it.

Piracy copies the product, meaning the original owner still has his and he can still make a profit with it. Also, you have to get it through your thick skull that, due to that, piracy may have actual positive effects on the industry and that the damage done by it is literally impossible to prove.

Not only this, everyone seems to forget that so much as using a clip of a film or part of a soundtrack for a youtube video or whatever is considered copyright infringement.
Its just a different kind of theft.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
thublihnk said:
Yeah, uh, make no mention that the DHS is completely overstepping their rights and responsibilities.

But yeah, it's awesome that federal defense dollars are being used to protect private corporations' copyrights. /sarcasm
They're overstepping their responsibilities but not their rights.
The government didn't do anything wrong. They went through the same process that they would have gone through for any other criminal. They collected probable cause, got a warrant, got evidence and convicted the people.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Fumbleumble said:
Final proof that the American governement is a fascist one.

It is not the job of a government, who's mandate lies with the people, to curtail the actions of it's citizens for the sole benefit of corporate interests.
These laws do nothing except make the rich richer and the expense of those without.
True, it isn't the governments job to do that. But it is[i/] the governments job to stop crimes and apprehend suspects. Which is what is being done here. The fact that the criminals are pirates is irrelevant, because they're criminals nonetheless and need to be stopped.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
The government went through the same process that they would have gone through for any other criminal. But since its relatively new for this to happen with websites people are freaking out.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
ciortas1 said:
stabnex said:
Don't these guys have better things to do? Like stopping illegal aliens from entering the country and taking horrifically needed American jobs from American citizens? Or something? ... anyone?
Far too busy serving their corporate owners to do that.

I mean how much more blatant does it have to get to realise that? This is a homeland security institution serving the whim of private corporations.
No no no, that's he CIA's job. The Dulles family has been getting free Guatemalan bananas since the 1930's.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
FinalHeart95 said:
Can they do that? I mean, what about all of the non-Americans that go to those sites? Hell, what if non-Americans OWN those sites?
Not that it really helps much anyway. There are probably new piracy websites popping up every minute.
They only shut down sites hosted in the US. They didn't just shut them down though, they went through the court process. Got a warrant, collected evidence etc...

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Don't we have a war going on, terrorists who want to kill us all, entire countires that hate us, and 500 miles of unfenced boarders to worry about, ICE?

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Xanthious said:
I can only imagine being so totally and completely naive

...shit all over everyone's freedom of speech
Irony is so delicious.

Freedom of speech doesn't apply on the internet and doesn't apply to illegal actions.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
chemicalreaper said:
But what happened to defending the 'homeland' from real threats?
So if there is one issue, everything else ever should be ignored. Lets say for an example, there are two hostage situations happening. Should every single effort be made to resolve one while turning a blind eye to the other?

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
1. You can't stop data, no matter what you do no matter how hard you try you can not and will not stop the spread of information or data. Rather or not you are in favour or against piracy you must realise that it's all just stop-gap measures.

2. I don't feel my tax money should be dealing with this kind of stuff as opposed to you know more important stuff. No artist that's being majorly downloaded is being stuck on the street due to this. No matter how much the entertainment industries tell you the reason if they are on hard times is most likely due to them releasing poor content.

3. Spending money on items is fine, I spend plenty of money on games and the movies I ennjoy, however I am not going to pay for an album that I can't find in a store and at best I'll get to overpay for on the internet. I am not going to pay for some bad film I know is bad, they know is bad and they release anyway. I am not going to pay for a tv show even more so if it's a network tv show, it's in the air it's no different then me getting the vhs(remember those?) of a show I missed during the week.