Homeland Security Seizes Dozens of Piracy Websites

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Good to see the digital protector is still at work.
I think Jack Black put it best:

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
BlackWidower said:
How exactly does this fall under the purview of Homeland Security? Are the sites being run by ter'rists?

Some of the sites had counterfeit merchandise? How did they know? If it was counterfeit, why go through all this crap, couldn't they just charge them with fraud? Unless they say it's counterfeit, and if that's the case, who gives a shit?!
The meaning of the word 'Terrorist' has been perverted to mean anyone who acts against governmental law whether just or unjust.

'Right' has nothing to do with it anymore... and by new definition those who protest rightously can and will be treated as criminal against the state.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
ICE seized some piracy websites? *Puts on sunglasses.* That's cold. YEEEEAAAHH! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wcov88pq0&feature=related]

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
If people don't think these laws will be abused they're either naive or incredibly mis/uninformed for the history of copyright law (particularly in the US). I think everyone should read this book before making any assumptions about what is good/bad or works/doesn't in IP and copyright law http://www.free-culture.cc/freeculture.pdf and no, it's not advocating piracy or getting things for free. It's about how laws like this can affect our culture and our freedom of expression in negative ways that may not be obvious to the average person.

Edit: I would also argue that the internet, despite piracy, is probably the greatest thing to happen to the creative community and independent creators since, well, ever. I don't know about the record industry but I know for a fact that the movie industry has been steadily growing with more movies being made each year and more revenue each year. You can look these numbers up. Frankly, at least concerning music, I think it's only really bad for major record labels because the internet has drastically reduced the need for them, putting more control in the hands of the artists (assuming they aren't bogged down by contracts with said labels) and giving the artists an unprecedented way to directly sell to and interact with their fans. It also allows for so much more sharing of ideas than ever before. I can easily (and am in fact doing it just by writing this) share my ideas with people all over the world in a matter of seconds. It's incredible really.

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
Bretty said:
With IP moderation and tracking in the US now I am surprised the country who spouts privacy and individualism is so heavily controlled. Irony?
You write well. I'll hazard a guess here - you don't live in the U.S.
If you did, you would likely already have become accustomed to the fantasy many U.S. citizens live in. The contradictions, prejudice, and ironies pervading that society are so flagrant that at some point, hearing someone expressing surprise at any of them is a welcome breath of fresh air. Thanks.

znix

Apr 9, 2009
The legislation is just paying lip service to the copyright holders. The real power of the bill is that the government can take down any site that hosts delicate documents. Such as wikileaks. So much for free speech and transparency in government.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Can we start putting pirates in prison yet?

Please?
Sheeple like you blow my mind you really do. You gladly sit there going ass to mouth with the big media companies eating every piece of bull shit they spew your way with a big stupid smile on your face and don't seem to care that they are using their money to buy off politicians in order to bring the internet in the US to something on par with what China and Iran currently have. . . . But hey if it stops some 15 yr old from getting a few free songs who cares about silly things like rights.

Oct 30, 2010
KEM10 said:
4173 said:
KEM10 said:
This action won't do much besides just informing the public it is trying something. The only way to kick piracy down is to use attack the demand portion since it costs little to form the supply. If you can build up the guilt (or fear) of the people who use the torrents it will have actual inherent costs.

In short: To significantly and quickly knock down piracy, start suing the teenagers who do it. And not just one or two, hit them like these sites.
Isn't that the same as the arresting kids holding a couple joints, which everyone roundly mocks?
It is. The idea is the same and (economically) it works. If you know of Gary Becker, this was his idea on how to end the war on drugs...well, besides making them legal and doubling the price for a joint and making the illegal sales ten times more punishable.
That's an interesting angle. Change the dialogue from an illegal/legal focus to a purely economic one, like tickets for not wearing seatbelts (ignoring if that should be a ticketed offense or not).

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Xanthious said:
Cryo84R said:
Can we start putting pirates in prison yet?

Please?
Sheeple like you blow my mind you really do. You gladly sit there going ass to mouth with the big media companies eating every piece of bull shit they spew your way with a big stupid smile on your face and don't seem to care that they are using their money to buy off politicians in order to bring the internet in the US to something on par with what China and Iran currently have. . . . But hey if it stops some 15 yr old from getting a few free songs who cares about silly things like rights.
Aw, did i suggest that maybe someone should pay for things they get? That would put a real ding in your entertainment library, wouldn't it?

Entertainment is a luxury, not a right. You do not have the right to steal luxury items you didn't pay for. Turning this concept into some kind of conspiracy theory doesn't really help your juvenile temper tantrums.

Don't be a douchbag, don't steal things that don't belong to you.