Hotline Miami 2 Refused Classification in Australia - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hotline Miami 2 Refused Classification in Australia - Update

Hotline Miami 2 has been refused classification in Australia due to drug use, and an implied rape scene.

Update: Devolver released the following statement regarding the classification decision:

We are aware of the recent report published by the Australian Classification Board in regards to Hotline Miami 2 and have been in communication with them. As such, we and Dennaton Games would like to clarify a few things:

First, to clear up any possible misconceptions, the opening cinematic that was first shown in June of 2013 has not changed in any way. We also want to make clear that players are given an choice at the start of the game as to whether they wish to avoid content that alludes to sexual violence. The sequence in question is presented below in context, both after choosing the uncut version of the game and after choosing to avoid content that alludes to sexual violence.

Second, in response to the report itself, we are concerned and disappointed that a board of professionals tasked with evaluating and judging games fairly and honestly would stretch the facts to such a degree and issue a report that describes specific thrusting actions that are not simply present in the sequence in question and incorrectly portrays what was presented to them for review.

Though we have no plans to officially challenge the ruling, we stand by our developers, their creative vision for the storyline, its characters and the game and look forward to delivering Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number to fans very soon.

You can check out the scene in question right here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sM2vUBHUyA], in both the uncut version, and the version for people who chose the option to avoid sexual violence.

Original Story: So apparently, getting the Player Attack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121292-Australias-R18-Classification-Starts-Today] reporting that the Australian Classification Board found the game "too offensive" for Australians.

Officially, the classification report [http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=RfGswWYF5cPC5o5j1oGJGw%253d%253d&ncdctx=o6%2bfrfTanKlJxlJM8G9sJBYafpLUo5bsNE5eTqkanXBSB%252fd9Gqd%2bXcXXwLlLfZlc] of the game stated that the game was refused classification as it falls under the category of games that "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified."

Specifically, the following "implied rape" scene is one of the things that pushed the board over the edge. Be warned that this does contain spoilers for the game:

"In the sequence of game play footage titled Midnight Animal, the protagonist character bursts into what appears to be a movie set and explicitly kills 4 people, who collapse to the floor in a pool of copious blood, often accompanied by blood splatter. After stomping on the head of a fifth male character, he strikes a female character wearing red underwear. She is knocked to the floor and is viewed lying face down in a pool of copious blood. The male character is viewed with his pants halfway down, partially exposing his buttocks. He is viewed pinning the female down by the arms and lying on top of her thrusting, implicitly raping her (either rear entry or anally) while her legs are viewed kicking as she struggles beneath him. This visual depiction of implied sexual violence is emphasized by it being mid-screen, with a red backdrop pulsating and the remainder of the screen being surrounded by black."

So there you have it, the Australian Classification Board has determined that Hotline Miami 2 is too offensive for consenting Australian adults to purchase.

We have reached out to developer Devolver to see if they will appeal the decision.

Source: Australian Classification Board via Player Attack [http://www.playerattack.com/news/2015/01/15/hotline-miami-2-too-offensive-for-australia/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ugh. What is with the fucking Australian government and video games? This really IS censorship this time.

Speaking of Hotline Miami 2, when the FUCK is it coming out?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
For those keeping score: This is what censorship looks like.

Also, from what I've heard the scene described turns out to be fake within the context of the game. As in, the characters are shooting a rape scene for a film. Not sure what bearing, if any, that has on the classification decision, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Apr 25, 2009
Why are there still grandmas with no understanding of the medium on the classification board?

I will purchase and play this game any way I can, just to spite them.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Sometimes I wonder what actually goes on at the OFLC. Do they bother playing the games, or just throw darts at a board with the ratings tacked on?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Sometimes I wonder what actually goes on at the OFLC. Do they bother playing the games, or just throw darts at a board with the ratings tacked on?
I think it's a mixture of that and some kind of weird twist of pin the tail on the donkey.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Does this mean I can't buy the game at all (I live in Australia)? Can I buy it on Steam, or does refused classification only apply to retail.

If this refused classification bullshit means I can't legally purchase and play the game, the Classification board can go f*** itself, I really liked the first game and I've been waiting months to play the second game.

Why can't adults buy whatever the hell they want, why does the government have to butt in and dictate what is appopriate for adults to consume?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Jesus Christ this shit makes me want to reenact some choice scenes from the first game at the offices of the Classification Board.
I'm just joking.
Mostly.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
This sucks and makes me want to smuggle copies of the game into Australia for the beleaguered gamers there.

Zhukov said:
Also, from what I've heard the scene described turns out to be fake within the context of the game. As in, the characters are shooting a rape scene for a film. Not sure what bearing, if any, that has on the classification decision, but thought it was worth pointing out.
My guess is they're going to use this bit:
"depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex.. crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults.."
..as the crutch. It may simply be a depiction of rape, a pretendies not-real rape, but if their poor morals and standards of decency are still offended then it's bye-byes.
Ronald Nand said:
Does this mean I can't buy the game at all (I live in Australia)? Can I buy it on Steam, or does refused classification only apply to retail.

If this refused classification bullshit means I can't legally purchase and play the game, the Classification board can go f*** itself, I really liked the first game and I've been waiting months to play the second game.

Why can't adults buy whatever the hell they want, why does the government have to butt in and dictate what is appopriate for adults to consume?
In the context of this topic and your post, I got a giggle from you self-censoring.

small

Aug 5, 2014
sexual violence or implied sexual violence will automatically get a game refused classification here, i dont know why they even bothered putting it before the board when they knew it was in it

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Teoes said:
Ronald Nand said:

In the context of this topic and your post, I got a giggle from you self-censoring.
I'm not sure what the Escapist's policy is on swearing, I know on steam forums swearing is censored so I thought it was not allowed so discussions are civil.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
So, a serious question. With THAT open of a standard how does literally any game get a rating? I'm serious, we all know killing is "bad". There are times when it is justified but by their rules it doesn't matter because the depiction of a dubious act that is against the standard of morals carried out in our everyday lives is a no no. That's a screwed up system and I feel for you all. All I got to say is, do what ya gotta do. >.>

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Sorry Australia.

Still though, at least this confirms that the developers kept the rape scene in despite of all that bitching a year or two ago.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
So what's this means for me? Buy the damn thing online?

Seriously, fuck these people. Fuck them with a rusty spork that's covered in rape and sexual content, just so that they'll feel extra naughty. We have an R+18 rating for this reason. Adults can choose this. Children CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT purchase this game. But no, adults can't choose.

I guess that new game about a rape victim, Autumn I think, that should be banned. Why, that even puts the player in a position that lets them see the whole experience from start to finish (NOTE: The board just thinks that this is what happens, they couldn't figure out the movement keys.) That shocking, horrid game must be burnt at the stake lest the children see!

CENSORSHIP, HO!

(I imagine this is the part where the grannies board their SS Censor-Ship and sail off with Tony Abbott to shoot any cargo ships containing Hotline Miami 2.)

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
This is the same country that initially banned the first Risen because it gave you some experience and restored your mana if you smoked weed. Never be surprised by the fools in power here. Our clowns in charge make the US political scene seem very professional in comparison.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
This is the same country that initially banned the first Risen because it gave you some experience and restored your mana if you smoked weed. Never be surprised by the fools in power here. Our clowns in charge make the US political scene seem very professional in comparison.
Our clowns in charge of video games make the US political scene in regards to video games seem very professional in comparison, you mean. On plenty of other, more important issues, we have the superior clowns.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Our clowns in charge of video games make the US political scene in regards to video games seem very professional in comparison, you mean. On plenty of other, more important issues, we have the superior clowns.
Ehh, I dunno. From what I've seen and heard, the majority of our government is compiled mostly of fools. Especially as of late.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
thaluikhain said:
Ehh, I dunno. From what I've seen and heard, the majority of our government is compiled mostly of fools. Especially as of late.
Yeah, they've gotten worse, but I still maintain they are superior. No serious attempts to remove existing rights for citizens, at the moment, for example. Abbott is quite the clown, but a comparatively harmless one.