How can people like Amnesia?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Jesus, why are so many of you this aggressive towards the OP? He just wants to know what so many people thought was good about this game, and why, since he didn't particularly like it. Of course, everyone has different opinions, he knows and understands that, but he'd still like to know WHY this was such a popular game. Nothing wrong with that.

And yes, I know there have a been a few of these kinds of threads around lately, but that doesn't make this one in particular stupid.

As for me, I actually only enjoyed the parts the beginning, before free roaming monsters arrived. Maybe, I'm an idiot, but I just couldn't figure out how to sneak around them in some parts of the game, and once you've seen the actual monsters, which are boring as shit, the game lost all charm to me. The water cellar was cool, so was hiding in the closet, but most of the actual gameplay later on was kinda shit. So I didn't finish it, and don't feel like going back either.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Shark Wrangler said:
Kind of have to agree with this. You know one thing I loved about Dead Space is how frantic it makes you play sometimes. Really scary to me when I am being chased and I am down to only 5 shots. You know thats why the newer resident Evil games kind of pissed me off because alot of the enemies are to damn slow. Some reason a game designer thought it would be a good idea to have the zombies stop running at you when they get close enough.
Well, I wouldn't call getting zerg rushed by enemies while I'm out of ammo "scary", I'd call it "Well, we're boned." That's just me of course, but it scares me as much as getting zerg rushed by anything else in any other game - that is, doesn't scare me, it mostly agitates me.

On the other hand, the thing that really gets my fears going is basically "nothing." Walking around a place, doesn't even have to be dark with this feeling that you're being watched...but as you turn, there's nothing there. You press on, still feeling uncomfortable as you're pestered by this ominous nothingness, start to ask yourself if you're being paranoid, going crazy, maybe there really isn't anything there...only then you learn that in fact, something is there, it was there all along, and now that your nerves are at the end, you're more likely to make a critical mistake...

That said, keeping in mind that a game is a game reduces its scary factor by default. I know how much several people hate the word, but you do need to immerse yourself for the full experience of it.

I suppose it's just how we react to different stimuli, gore, violence and hordes of disfigured monsters do not scare me - they disgust me, maybe, but not scare. Atmospheric, psychological build-ups however, those leave my nerves on end. I figure it's a bit like hitting your enemy with an oversized hammer until it drops as opposed to dealing precise blows with a small blade - sure, both can be effective enemy killers, but not everyone is going to feel "right" about both and is generally going to prefer one over the other.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Charles McGuffin said:
Well. I always did as they said. Always in total dark and with Headphones (pretty good headphones) and I tried to immerse myself, but I guess I'm far less easily frightened as I used to be, so I want other people to explain to me, what they found so frightening about this game.

So before I simply call the game "shitty", "awfull", "crap", I'd like to hear people who actually played it through.

I rather finish a game before I judge it, but I most likely won't finish Amnesia.
Because its the only horror / survival horror game that doesn't give you a fucking weapon to kill the baddy. Health is scarce and you will be using it on falling damage. You don't know what is following you or where it came from or its name, its just following you... To kill you. The game has a great atmosphere, but them asking you to immerse yourself in it is not asking you for you to be scared [you probably weren't scared because you barred yourself up and didn't try to get into the game] its asking you to just set your mind at ease and do what it asks.

From a finished perspective the game is great at atmosphere, even better at level design to compliment the gameplay, but not so good at hiding its monsters. The main issue is that the monsters had paths set between going from darkness to in front of a light source. What made the shadow scary was that you barely see it anywhere in the game, but after some time it loses its scarriness.

I don't get 'scared' I get tensed up. And that happened while hiding behind barrels to hide from a monster... Multiple times. During the prison level I almost freaking broke my screen from a jump scare.

Steps to enjoying Amnesia:
1) Play in a mostly quiet room.
2) Headphones
3) Full screen mode
4) Having a clear head and immerse into the game.

Complete THESE for a good experience with it.

Shark Wrangler said:
Kind of felt like Amnesia had way to much of nothing going on for it's own good. Yeah what scares me is when I know a monster is there and I can even see it. Really no way for me to get to it at this point and its wandering around. Yeah I can recognize it as a good game, but just as predictable as anything else. The game should have flashing arrows pointing to the monsters when ever you solve a puzzle, because thats when they are coming.
Blame the fact that they didn't have enough money at the time to make it a better game. Hell, remember? It was originally a DLC for Penumbra, technically. A side project, that turned out better then most DLC's or side stories now in days.

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
It's meant to be played in a dim room with headphones. I tried it and wasn't really scared. The only game I've been scared by recently is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
1) The game never asks you to think scary thoughts. It warns you not to fight the enemies as defeating them is impossible and to instead immerse yourself in the atmosphere.

2) If you cannot do the above, you will not find it scary.

3) If you cannot immerse yourself in the video game, then the horror genre is not for you. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others can explain to you what you're doing wrong. It just means you do not like it. No explanation is needed and no explanation can be given.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I don't know? If I was to ask the same question I'd wonder how people can like Minecraft? Is it the game or what it represents (the triumph of the indie underdog game and such)?

Anyways, how many times can it be said that people just have different tastes, different strokes for different folks and all. For instance I have a unnatural lust for Indian food, and I like to put salt in my cereal. So go figure...;)

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
We can't "enlighten" you as to why its scary. Fear is the most visceral reaction a person can have to something. It's not a game mechanic that you can master. If it didn't scare you, it didn't scare you. Play something else.
I agree with this. Some things are scary to some people, but not scary to others. That's why horror games can sometimes be a bit of a gamble. So it makes since why you might not like it, since the whole point is to scare... but for most it's as scary as hell, so it's probably doing about as good as it's gonna do.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Much like, you know, any game or movie or book, you need to be able to immerse yourself in it to really enjoy it. That's pretty damn obvious IMO.

The game is just creepy as hell. Some people find it terrifying, some less so. I just thought it was a lot of fun.

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
Riobux said:
"Hey guys, I have an alternative opinion and unless you prove me wrong, you're all idiots and this is a crap game".

Come on, seriously? If you don't enjoy the game, then you simply don't enjoy the game. Doesn't mean the game is crap because it doesn't appeal to you.
Quick question. Did you even read the whole post, or just go of the title? While your first part about the alternate opinion is correct, he says nothing about being proved wrong and that if not we're wrong. He stated that he didn't really like it but wanted other opinions so he could understand why other people liked it.

He never called it crap and in his second post (3rd overall) stated that he didn't want to judge it because he hasn't even finished it. I understand when a thread has 14 pages why people don't go reading through to see if what they've said has already been discussed. But seriously, there wasn't even 2 pages when you posted. I would think somebody who's been here as long as you would know basic stuff like this.

Lastly, I don't mean to be rude, but it's late here and I'm tired, so I'm probably ranting a bit more than necessary. Sorry for any offence.

Blade1130

Sep 25, 2011
I haven't completely beaten Amnesia yet, but I'm about halfway through it and I am really enjoying it. I generally don't like horror games/movies/etc, (only "horror" game I ever bought was BioShock if you count that, and I didn't even know it was when I bought it) but I do like Amnesia.

I wouldn't really call it "scary" though, more like... I dunno... "unsettling"? I recently picked up Limbo and I'm getting a similar feeling, though to a much more mild extent. Amnesia sort of fakes fear, there's something you should be afraid of, if you see through it you'll realize the guy's kind of harmless. I've yet to be seen by him, though I just got out of the dungeon area, not sure where that is in the game length-wise, but I'd say roughly halfway. If you're smart and cautious you can stay on top of him and wouldn't really get scared since you're "winning" in a sense. If you don't realize that, the game can be quite frightening. Once I picked up on that, it did lose a lot of it's fear-factor (?) but it's still a damned good horror game even after.

And it doesn't say "The objective is not to win", it just says something along the lines of "Don't concern yourself with beating the game, you're not playing it to beat it, you're playing it to have fun/be scared, so keep that in mind, and don't pull yourself out of the experience". Also, a lot of it is based on the music, which it does mention in the beginning. One of my friends tried to play this game at school, in a brightly lit room, with 30 other people in it, muted. Needless to say he was laughing more than anything else, it's the atmosphere that counts, that's really what the intro was saying, don't do what he did.

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
Well, for me Amnesia was scary because:

1-I've never been a fan of horror games. I get frightened too easily.
2-The feeling that you're entirely defenseless against any threat that you may find.
3-The grim atmosphere the game gives: the music, the dim lighting, the random effects.

I guess it depends on your reactions to those things... If they don't trigger any reaction on you, maybe Amnesia is not the game for you.

Francis B

Dec 25, 2011
Ok, here's the deal. I don't think you should pay much mind to people who say you can't learn why this game is good, why it can be scary.

The very fact that you have responded multiple times to this thread, that you started it in the first place shows that you are truly curious why we like this game so much. Maybe we can't make YOU like it, but we can share our impressions with you, which seems to, at the root of it, be what you are interested in.

I picked up Amnesia recently when it was on sale as well. I had heard good things and decided to give it a shot. Loading up the game my first impression was that Topping's (the guy who voices Daniel) delivery was a bit off, but was more than adequate to the task of setting the mood.

This is not a game you play to win, in fact one could say that all three endings are a bit of a loss. I'm not sure if they planned it out this way or if it is simply so pervasive in the genre that it came across regardless, but I felt like I was playing an H.P. Lovecraft story. Wandering around an old castle, not sure of what I was supposed to be doing, unable to escape and suffering from some sort of massive mindcrushing headache everytime I went into a dark room was definitely a different sort of experience than I'm used to in video games.

At first the pacing of the game was slow to invest me. People are right it does take a bit to get immersed. Mostly this is due to a lack of mechanics. At the start of the game you can do very little, because there is very little to do.

This guy has amnesia, he needs to stop someone, he can't remember anything. At the start Daniel is simply not an interesting character, this could have been softened somewhat by Topping's performance, but I'm afraid he wasn't up to the task. Instead we develop an emotional attachment to Daniel as we discover more of his diary and read more of the little memory snippets in the loading screens.

What this gives us is a sense of scope. Whatever Daniel has gotten himself into is big, it is scary, and there is apparently some sort of great evil involved.

Then we begin, slowly at first, to see the evil. We might hear a roar, or see a shadow flicker...was that the monster chasing Daniel or was it merely a trick of the light?

Back to mechanics. Once we've gotten to know the character the game gives us mechanics to defend him. We can NOT defeat any of the monsters in this game. Daniel is fragile. He can hide, or outsmart his foes, but he can't beat them. This lines up nicely with the Lovecraftian vibes of horror. The most important mechanic of the game is the interaction between light and sanity. As Daniel's sanity decreases he becomes sluggish, more difficult to control, and his perceptions become deceptive.

Resource management becomes key here. We only have so much oil, so many tinderboxes...yet if we don't light this hallway, or that room, we'll slowly lose our mind and the game will be more difficult. If we do use the light than we can see what we are doing...

...and the monsters can see us.

Having to run away from a monster, it's heavy footsteps echoing...knowing that if I turn around it will catch me, that the door I've slammed shut will only stall it for a few moments as it barrels its way through. These are the things that make Amnesia scary.

I could go into more detail, but I just realized I typed like, nine paragraphs. So I think I'm done for now. I hope this helped you in your quest for knowledge, and I implore you to give the game a chance. If you don't like it, the most you'll have lost is the money you already spent, and ten hours tops.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I just finished Amnesia and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I wasn't until I got to the water that I got past anxious, but that section certainly gave me an adrenaline rush the first time. :)

There were a few similar moments after that. I'll admit that most of the "sneak around the monsters" bits were tense rather than terrifying, but still quite enjoyable.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I bought Amnesia and I didn't play it that much. Too stressful for me. I thought it was the exciting scary like RE4 was. It was just the Yeah some shit's gonna go down and you're going to be uncomfortable and tensed up for the next 5 hours.

I know this makes me a big idiot for buying a skurry game and wishing it wasn't skurry, but I wish it wasn't skurry. The mansion and the puzzles were pretty cool, but I just dreaded hearing noises, seeing doors slam shut and having the monster shuffling around in the dark.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Smeggs said:
I don't recall it saying that, though I do recall it stating the point of the game is to immerse yourself. They're saying take your time to enjoy it, it's not like Halo or COD where you can just storm your way through, that's how you get killed, and you won't enjoy it as much either.

Sit there with your headphones on in the dark. Crank the volume up to an acceptable level. Amnesia is a different beast than Battlefield or Skyrim.

I found it quite quite frightening at times, once I got in a ways. Have you even made it to the flooded catacomb portion yet?
Tho I find Amnesia terrifying (I will only play it with a friend around, cus I can't play it alone) I found the flooded catacomb section severely underwhelming. I had heard it was one of the most terrifying parts, but when i got to it, it wasn't nearly that scary to me

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
I find it scary, I use it when I need a laxative although some scary parts become predictable after a while and I don't like the controls.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Charles McGuffin said:
For me, I wasn't scared by Amnesia for a long time. I got it as a gift and it took me a good five hours before I found anything that scared me beyond a slight jump. Really though, what I found the biggest issue for me in Amnesia was trying to solve the puzzles while constantly addressing the problem of the monster walking around that I could do nothing against. It wasn't fear, but stress that ultimately got to me and made me jumpy. I feel the distortion of the screen and the stupid noises the character makes didn't make me afraid but just served as distractions from thinking through the puzzles and thinking about how to not get caught, they were stress inducers, not some clever fear-based mechanic.

I still very much enjoyed the game and found it to be the pseudo-lovecraftian equivalent of portal. It was a first person puzzle solver, which is always refreshing when done right.