How civilized are the Escapist forums?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
retyopy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Of course it's more civilised.

I'm here, for starters.
I've seen this response twice already, and there's only been 6 posts. I feel like this is marking out something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.
We don't have swollen egos, what are you talking about...

>.>

<.<

Generally we behave well. We've got bloodthirsty mods hanging around, keeping the peace :)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
The forums are no better and no worse than 99% of other forums out there. We've got the grizzled old vets who think it was way better back in the day. We've got the grammar nazis. We've got the sugared up dipshit who thinks yelling FIRST! at the posting of a new Zero Punctuation is still funny. Then we have the one good thread that gets buried by the same 100 topics that are posted on a daily basis.

Just like every other forum. No better, no worse, just the one I hang out at (I suppose that makes it better, you're welcome!) Did I mention the guy with the God complex?

There's nothing else to be said, this post just summarizes it all.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
This place is the same as the other forums I've been to. Worse in many ways, especially selective policy enforcement, allowing some hate speech to go unmoderated (old people, fat people, unattractive people, christians/religious people, sometimes even women) but not allowing other types of hatred (ethnic minorities, mainly). There's also a fair amount of fanboy whining about why this or that game/console is good/bad, and butthurt reactions when some video contributor disagrees.

But then, it is a gaming forum. That's the risk you run. It's probably still about average. Captchas sure are annoying, though. I don't get those on my other forums. Probably why I post there more.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Marter said:
Depends where you visit, what day/time of the day it is, and who decides to post on any specific post.

Really, it's more or less the same as most forums. Except User Reviews. That's better than everywhere, obviously.
And only you could speak without any bias at all, of course!

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
The last two forums I frequented were filled with assholes, so I suppose this is a nice change.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
The only reason, I believe, that this forum seems more civilized and friendly than other forums is the moderation, which I seem to recall quite a few of the "old-time members" (and likely some others) decided was far too strict. Fact is, if your not rude and vulgar, and stay somewhat to the point, you'll have no trouble here. As long as I've been around I've only recieved a single warning for a very minor incident, so...

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
retyopy said:
Marter said:
Depends where you visit, what day/time of the day it is, and who decides to post on any specific post.

Really, it's more or less the same as most forums. Except User Reviews. That's better than everywhere, obviously.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

*attempts to hide custom title and the majority of my posts in the last 12 months*

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Marter said:
retyopy said:
Marter said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

*attempts to hide custom title and the majority of my posts in the last 12 months*
Oh, don't worry, we all love your reviews. Except for the people who don't.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Let's put it this way, it we were to compare it to evolution, then the Escapist is living in caves and just learning about fire while the rest of the Internet is still just crawling out of the ocean.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Let's put it this way, it we were to compare it to evolution, then the Escapist is living in caves and just learning about fire while the rest of the Internet is still just crawling out of the ocean.
That's... Actaully a pretty good analogy.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
So long as you avoid religion and politics forum and pretend like March Mayhem doesn't exist? Pretty civilized. Like sticking your pinky out when drinking tea levels of civilized.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
You know, it sounds elitist, but I think there is a little more restraint here then elsewhere. I also sometimes go to a site called, "Sodahead" where there are a good deal of Political, "Debates". In comparison, Escapist is filled with saints.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
There does seem to be a general hostility towards organized religion, but it hasn't got to the point of being YouTube bad, where you have people(who are trying to evangelize everbody), fighting people who seem to hate religion( to the point of being a bigot).

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I think our weeding out of the simple stupid trolls has led us to cause a new breed of troll to evolve, an 'intelligent troll' in a way. Trolls that are just human enough to not seem like complete trolls, but yet still capable of all the old troll mistchief. Whether an 'intelligent' troll is better or worse, i don't know.

thelittleman66

Nov 15, 2011
From what I have seen, these forums are okay. Not as bad as tvtropes, but can grow uncivilized with one proper comment.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
thelittleman66 said:
From what I have seen, these forums are okay. Not as bad as tvtropes, but can grow uncivilized with one proper comment.
whats wrong with TV tropes?

anyway although I havent had much itnernet experience thease forums seem pretty good, although I do fear moderator wrath at times..but I think its a fair price to pay

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
It may look "civilized", but under that disguise is a barbaric thing. Even the most loved by the community... Their secrets are not so pretty with rainbows. And look at all the propaganda!

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Depends on the subject really. Certain things will remain civil, but certain topics will instantly just start flame wars on which side is more wrong.