How could Disney redeem itself from The Last Jedi?

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
evilthecat said:
GalanDun said:
Think about it, if I'm in the Rebellion or Resistance, do I trust someone who builds TIE fighters, the single WORST starfighter in the history of the galaxy and sells them to the Empire or First Order to not specifically build my X-Wings to be worse than the TIEs?
Yeah, this is kind of nitpicky, but I think this is an excellent example of why the expanded universe needed to die.

See, remember the Death Star trench run in A New Hope?

Remember Porkins?

Porkins was flying an X-wing. He still died.

There was never any real indication in original trilogy films as to the relative quality of the X-wing and the TIE fighter. Sure, the heroes blow up tons of TIE fighters, but they're the heroes. They wouldn't be the heroes if they died to random mooks. Even when we see the space battle in Return of the Jedi with the massive, massive swarm of TIE fighters (and interceptors) the message was never really that TIE fighters were shit and needed those numbers to pose a threat, but that the rebels were facing overwhelming odds.

But in the expanded universe, it seems like everyone needed to be the hero. Even Porkins needed to be a hero now, so now everyone needs to be able to face overwhelming odds and thus is born the idea that rebel ships are individually superior, not just even a little bit superior but massively superior to the point where TIE fighters can only possibly accomplish anything through sheer weight of numbers.

It's an assumption which became deeply, deeply ingrained into Star Wars canon and cropped up all over the place. In the X-Wing and TIE fighter series, it hit the point where X-wings could shrug off loads of damage with their shields. But in the context of the original films, it just creates problems.. I mean, what happened to Porkins? Did he forget to turn his shields on? Wasn't he aware he could have just directed all power to his rear shields and sat there tanking up the damage like a space boss?

Damn, Porkins must have sucked. He had every advantage and he still went down in one hit. What a loser.
Yeah, I also remember that his shields were taken out by a cloud of debris immediately beforehand, AND his ship was destroyed by turbolaser batteries meant to hold off capital ships and not starfighter lasers.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Alright guys, that's quite enough.

There's no reason for this thread to dissolve into the offensive.

Thread locked.