How do you argue that you're not homophobic/racist/etc?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Vault101 said:
Headsprouter said:
I was just trying to clarify that I have racial prejudices, but I'm not silly enough to truly believe that all black people will love watermelon and fried chicken, for example.
of coarse not

EVERYBODY loves watermelon and freid chicken

and if they don't they arent to be trusted...
My roommate is a vegetarian. She's also black. I'm totally going to quote you out of context. Just need to figure out how. Hmm. . . . . . (I'm of coarse kidding)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mad World said:
Doesn't matter. I am still against it. I consider it to be immoral.
People just don't like not being able to label those who are against homosexual acts as people who hate gays. Sorry, but you don't get that luxury. I love them. I love everyone.
you might not "hate" gay people but you are by default "against" them

like I said before the things people so to each other it amazes me we draw the line at gender

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Mad World said:
DirgeNovak said:
But it's got nothing to do with you. There's nothing there for you to be for or against. So fucking what if two people who love each other get married and do butt stuff in the privacy of their homes? No skin off your back.
Doesn't matter. I am still against it. I consider it to be immoral.
Vault101 said:
I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways, you can;t say you like them as people yet be against their basic human rights (as in the right to marry and love whom they wish without persecution)

that kind of thinking is the very height of condescending "I know whats best for you" rationalisation that led to gay conversion camps and all the bullshit therein
Again, "tolerate" wasn't the best word to choose. I am not against their right to marry. I am simply against the act itself. Me being against that doesn't affect them; I treat them with respect and compassion.
StarsintheBlood said:
One of the dumbest, most deluded things I've ever read, alongside "I don't mind gay people, I just don't want MY kid to be one" and "I'm not racist, I just don't agree with inter-racial marriage". Woooow.
I definitely would not want my kid to be gay. But if they were, I would still love them.

I don't hate thieves, but I am against stealing. So, no, it is not dumb or deluded.

People just don't like not being able to label those who are against homosexual acts as people who hate gays. Sorry, but you don't get that luxury. I love them. I love everyone.
The difference being that when somebody commits theft, someone else is actually effected in a negative way. The same is simply not true of "gay acts".

Can you please just tell us WHY you consider homosexuality to be morally wrong? What possible negative effects are there? What single logical reason is there for you to be "against" it? Stop saying you just think it's wrong. WHY do you think it's wrong?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I'd say "No, I'm not", and leave it at that. It's not something you can really prove in a conversation, so what are you gonna do.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Vault101 said:

like I said before the things people so to each other it amazes me we draw the line at gender
What do you mean by "against them"? I do not view them as my enemy. I just don't agree with what they do.
Robot Number V said:
The difference being that when somebody commits theft, someone else is actually effected in a negative way. The same is simply not true of "gay acts".

Can you please just tell us WHY you consider homosexuality to be morally wrong? What possible negative effects are there? What single logical reason is there for you to be "against" it? Stop saying you just think it's wrong. WHY do you think it's wrong?
You're missing the point of the comparison. I am simply stating that being against gay acts does't mean that I hate gays.

If anything, the stealing-affects-others point strengthens what I say. If I do not hate thieves, how much less likely am I to hate homosexuals (who affect others less [negatively] than thieves)?
DirgeNovak said:
No. Just stop right there. You don't love them. If you loved them, you wouldn't (somehow) be "against" what makes them who they are.
For fuck's sake, you just compared gay sex (or "gay acts", whatever those are) to stealing to justify how you're not deluded. I hope you're having fun over there in la-la land.
Wrong. I do love them. You just do not like not being able to claim that I hate homosexuals. I live by "hate the sin; love the sinner."

Again: someone misses the point of the comparison. I simply mean to convey that I can be against something, while not hating the trespasser. If I can look at people who steal, and say that I still love them, I can do the same with homosexuals. In my eye, homosexual acts are wrong. However, I still love them. I am against drugs use, as well; however, if my friends use drugs, I do not hate them for it.

Gundam GP01 said:
Sorry that you don't feel respected. But, it's my right to not accept it as right. Just as it is your right to commit gay acts.

Yes - I do not hate gays. But I hate what they do (referring to homosexual acts). If you don't like that, too bad, I guess. Not much more to say. I don't want you to feel angered or disrespected, but I'm not going to allow for "political correctness" to go against my values.

zarguhl

Oct 4, 2010
The solution that works for me is that I don't hang around stupid people. If you aren't racist/sexist/whatever, and someone based on their own stupidity and/or poor observation believes that you are... Well, so?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mad World said:
Yes - I do not hate gays. But I hate what they do (referring to homosexual acts). If you don't like that, too bad, I guess. Not much more to say. I don't want you to feel angered or disrespected, but I'm not going to allow for "political correctness" to go against my values.
you can't have it both ways

if its part of somones religion and they don't see the need to force it on others then no, mabye I can't argue...I do however wonder why the gay thing isn't ok, but the stoning thing, the slavery thing, the black people thing, the mixing of cloth thing or the eating meat on a friday thing is no longer an issue...but mabye thats an argument for another day

DirgeNovak said:
Mad World said:
This is your sixth post in this thread and you still haven't answered the very simple question of WHY. Why are you against "gay acts"? Why do you think they're wrong? It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to justify it. Right now you're just spouting nonsense about "loving" people while at the same time saying you're against their very nature.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say religion...which is in this case a bit of a brick wall when it comes to arguing the point

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Mad World said:
This is your sixth post in this thread and you still haven't answered the very simple question of WHY. Why are you against "gay acts"? Why do you think they're wrong? It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to justify it. Right now you're just spouting nonsense about "loving" people while at the same time saying you're against their very nature.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Mad World said:
Vault101 said:

What do you mean by "against them"? I do not view them as my enemy. I just don't agree with what they do.
Robot Number V said:

You're missing the point of the comparison. I am simply stating that being against gay acts does't mean that I hate gays.

If anything, the stealing-affects-others point strengthens what I say. If I do not hate thieves, how much less likely am I to hate homosexuals (who affect others less [negatively] than thieves)?
DirgeNovak said:
No. Just stop right there. You don't love them. If you loved them, you wouldn't (somehow) be "against" what makes them who they are.
For fuck's sake, you just compared gay sex (or "gay acts", whatever those are) to stealing to justify how you're not deluded. I hope you're having fun over there in la-la land.
Wrong. I do love them. You just do not like not being able to claim that I hate homosexuals. I live by "hate the sin; love the sinner."

Again: someone misses the point of the comparison. I simply mean to convey that I can be against something, while not hating the trespasser. If I can look at people who steal, and say that I still love them, I can do the same with homosexuals. In my eye, homosexual acts are wrong. However, I still love them. I am against drugs use, as well; however, if my friends use drugs, I do not hate them for it.

Gundam GP01 said:
Sorry that you don't feel respected. But, it's my right to not accept it as right. Just as it is your right to commit gay acts.

OK, so comparison piece. Let's say I said I don't hate Christians, I love them. I just think baptism is wrong, and anyone who is baptised is breaking the covenant as set down by the Torah (pretty sure that's the Jewish holy book?). Or Christian marriage is a sin and both parties will go to hell and I'm totally against their lifestyle of going to Church on Sundays because they're sinful hypocrites and I'm actively against allowing them to go to church. But I still love Christians like I love everyone, I mean I still love people who mug other people in the street after all, I only hate the sin, which is an apt comparison for being religious/homosexual. But no, I totally love Christians, even if I hate their dirty sinful lifestyle and by my beliefs you, personally, are going to hell for your actions.

So boiled down, if any of that completely made-up viewpoint offended you, you may begin to see the hypocrisy which is inspiring all these responses.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
What I am about to say is my own opinion and outlook at the world, you may not (will not) agree with it.

I hate everyone and everything equally.

I don't care if you're gay/black/white/satanist/christian/feminists/etc, you're all a bunch of morons and sheep.

Yes, this is a terrible comment and why should I care? It's already proven that the majority of the human are are blithering idiots that don't understand right-side up from up-side down...

You can try and prove to me that you aren't...but all I got to say is good luck with that one. Most of you are more stupid then you would lead yourself to believe.

This is my "argument" against such trivial matters such as "race/sexual preference/religion/etc".

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
You can argue that you're not racist by not talking about it.

"Have I ever talked about it, or expressed in a single way, even a slight bit of racism?"

Best argument ever.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Rpground said:
What I am about to say is my own opinion and outlook at the world, you may not (will not) agree with it.

I don't care if you're gay/black/white/satanist/christian/feminists/etc, you're all a bunch of morons and sheep.

Yes, this is a terrible comment and why should I care? It's already proven that the majority of the human are are blithering idiots that don't understand right-side up from up-side down...

You can try and prove to me that you aren't...but all I got to say is good luck with that one. Most of you are more stupid then you would lead yourself to believe.

This is my "argument" against such trivial matters such as "race/sexual preference/religion/etc".
You know this includes you, right? I'm not dumb enough to try and engage this opinion I've heard quite a few times over the years, but it's always worth asking if the person saying it is aware.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Vault101 said:
you can't have it both ways

if its part of somones religion and they don't see the need to force it on others then no, mabye I can't argue...I do however wonder why the gay thing isn't ok, but the stoning thing, the slavery thing, the black people thing, the mixing of cloth thing or the eating meat on a friday thing is no longer an issue...but mabye thats an argument for another day
Can't have what both ways? If you're referring to "hate the sin; love the sinner," you're incorrect.

DirgeNovak said:
My faith (Christianity).

Not nonsense; I answered the thread. Should have ended at that, but people get all bent out of shape when it comes to not agreeing with homosexual acts. Me stating why I am against it isn't even part of the thread. Question was answered when I said that I am against the act (and not the person in question).

CaptainMarvelous said:
OK, so comparison piece. Let's say I said I don't hate Christians, I love them. I just think baptism is wrong, and anyone who is baptised is breaking the covenant as set down by the Torah (pretty sure that's the Jewish holy book?). Or Christian marriage is a sin and both parties will go to hell and I'm totally against their lifestyle of going to Church on Sundays because they're sinful hypocrites and I'm actively against allowing them to go to church. But I still love Christians like I love everyone, I mean I still love people who mug other people in the street after all, I only hate the sin, which is an apt comparison for being religious/homosexual. But no, I totally love Christians, even if I hate their dirty sinful lifestyle and by my beliefs you, personally, are going to hell for your actions.

So boiled down, if any of that completely made-up viewpoint offended you, you may begin to see the hypocrisy which is inspiring all these responses.
Makes sense to me. I could totally understand that while you hated what I did, you still loved me. I, of course, would hope that you would end up changing your mind down the road, but I would not automatically state that because of your beliefs, you had to hate me.
Gundam GP01 said:
You're a christian, right? How would you feel if I said something along the lines of "I dont hate christians, but I ahte prayer, chuches, bibles, crucifixes, the character of Jesus Christ as described in said Bibles and the worship of said character or following of his ideas," or basically anything else that defines Christians?

Or hell, what about "I dont hate you, but I hate (insert a list of actions you frequently do and attributes that describe you)?"

I seriously doubt that you wouldnt be insulted by that at least a little bit if someone honestly said that to you.

Mad World said:
I don't want you to feel angered or disrespected, but I'm not going to allow for "political correctness" to go against my values.
Honestly, most of the time political correctness just boils down to "Dont be a fucking asshole."

I know you dont want to make me feel angry and disrespected, but quite frankly you failed on both counts. Hopefully I've explained why.
Maybe I would be insulted; maybe I wouldn't. I was talking about hate. I believe that while not hating me, you could still hate certain things which I do.

No - political correctness isn't always right. In many cases, it means accepting homosexual acts and abortion as morally justifiable. And, it seems as if it is becoming politically correct to side with Palestine ("Free Palestine" is becoming popular among celebrities who know little about the conflict, for example).

So, no... it's about much more than "Don't be a fucking asshole." This is principally because what some people consider to be an "asshole" move could be considered to be morally justified by others.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Rpground said:
".
is that you Yahtzee? ;)
Gundam GP01 said:
Honestly, most of the time political correctness just boils down to "Dont be a fucking asshole."
I am definetly more way of those who go on about poltical correctness than political correntness itself
CaptainMarvelous said:
You know this includes you, right? I'm not dumb enough to try and engage this opinion I've heard quite a few times over the years, but it's always worth asking if the person saying it is aware.
don't bother, let him be special...its easyer for everyone that way

Mad World said:
Can't have what both ways? If you're referring to "hate the sin; love the sinner," you're incorrect.
no, what I mean is you can't say those things are immoral and not (rightfully) piss off a lot of people, no matter how many times you say you "love" them

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Headsprouter said:
Can you, even? This might be really simple to do, but I can't find any way to guard against being accused of being either of these things unless you're an ethnic minority or gay.
How about reflecting why that person accused you of being that?
Context, you know. It does matter.

You say that guy wears pink he must be gay, of course saying standardized phrases a la "but I got gay friends" won't do much if you uttered nothing concerning pinkness.
Telling a woman to sit down, shut up and make you a sandwich isn't averted by saying you got female friends too.

And if that person just shrieked at you unprovoked, whatever.