How do you break up with someone?

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Personally I would prefer to break up in person to her face, typically citing in as logically a way as possible the reasons why being together aren't going to work. That being said, any long distance relationship that is going into the gutter is going to be ended online via some kind of skype-like service. I'm not going to wait if it needs to end now. I won't put up some sort of pretense if I have no intention of continuing the relationship in any meaningful manner. Once it no longer works, it ends. Does that require a face-to-face or a message via the internet? Again, I'd prefer the face-to-face, but if it happens to be an internet thing, then that is what it is. Honestly, a clean break is better for everybody, even if they hate you for it.

BGinsanity

Oct 31, 2008
Personally, I believe that you should do it as respectfully and honestly as you can. There's no easy way to do it, especially if you really cared about the person. Ultimately its up to your own judgement of the situation. If your partner did something really fucked up (like cheating)I wouldn't blame you for doing it maliciously. Explain to your partner why you feel the way you do, but be assertive and don't second guess yourself if that's truly what you want,

Best of luck friend.

ColorfulObscurity

Mar 1, 2009
The only way I've done it and the only way I'll ever do it is by arranging a meeting face to face and honestly telling them why I want to break up with them.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
First time was by phone call. I believe I said something along the lines of "Here's hoping you don't like me very much, 'cause I don't really like you." The second one I think I dumped via instant messenger.

You could argue that it was juvenile, but both "relationships" were in high school and didn't last very long. Anyway, if I were to get dumped, I'd want it done by text message. I'd be pretty pissed if I went out to lunch or dinner with someone only for them to fucking dump me. I'd rather just be notified so I could get back to HoN. I suppose a phone call would be fine as well.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
JochemDude said:
Breaking up with someone is easy, breaking up with someone without upsetting said person is... difficult
Indeed it's a case to case thing, mostly one how he/she will take it.

TerribleAssassin said:
With a shotgun and a very hollow piece of land and some deodorant, and maybe a lighter.
Kill Bill 2, do I win something?
As I made that up when I posted, and as I've never watched any Tarentino movies, you win nothing!

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
On;y had to do it twice. First time, I lied about what was wrong [wasn't attracted], second time was a mutual decision based on incompatible personalities.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Yopaz said:
Zero=Interrupt said:
You have the balls to say to their face "This isn't working, and I don't think we should date anymore." If you don't have the balls, you can do it the George Costanza way, which is to say, do something so appalling they won't want to see you again, like picking your nose, smoking, or suggesting a threesome with their mum. This is generally regarded as a sniveling, cowardly thing to do and you SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

Get a spine, for pete's sake. Just tell them.
(SNIPPED)
Sooo by your standards it's bad to break up with someone by simply changing your social status on Facebook to single without any further notice? I don't understand that at all...
Yes, yes it is. You should do it in person, like an adult, period.

It is not supposed to be easy, but it's what grown-ups do, and you'll be a better person for it.

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
I've only had to do it once and his personallity was starting to get on my nerves so one day when we were talking on yahoo (It was a long distance relationship) I called him out on all his bullshit and told him it was over. I've only spoen to him 3 times since then and each time I always acted bitchy to tell him theres no way of getting back together.

In hignsight that might have been kinda harsh but I don't feel bad about it in the slightest.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
never actually broke up with anyone but i guess it depends on the relationship...
i doubt ill ever have to make this kind of decission (and care) cause if I get into a relationship I never get tired/give up first...

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
drummond13 said:
Honestly? Your method of breaking up with a girl seems far more douchey than your friend's. At least he has the balls to actually talk face to face with the girl he's leaving.

Seriously. Text messaging? That's pathetic.
Gotta agree with you there.

Nothing is more pathetic than breaking up via a text.

OT:
I usually sit down with the girl in question.
Have a chat, tell her what I'm feeling and try to be gentle, but firm.

We all know how much it can hurt to be dumped, so I try to be nice about it.
There's no need to be an asshole.
But don't give here the impression that there is some hope, that's just cruel.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zero=Interrupt said:
Yopaz said:
Zero=Interrupt said:
You have the balls to say to their face "This isn't working, and I don't think we should date anymore." If you don't have the balls, you can do it the George Costanza way, which is to say, do something so appalling they won't want to see you again, like picking your nose, smoking, or suggesting a threesome with their mum. This is generally regarded as a sniveling, cowardly thing to do and you SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

Get a spine, for pete's sake. Just tell them.
(SNIPPED)
Sooo by your standards it's bad to break up with someone by simply changing your social status on Facebook to single without any further notice? I don't understand that at all...
Yes, yes it is. You should do it in person, like an adult, period.

It is not supposed to be easy, but it's what grown-ups do, and you'll be a better person for it.
I meant that as a joke. Since if you just change the Facebook status you aren't even telling the other indirectly. You're leaving it up the other person to find out.