How Do You Calm Down?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Earlier this morning I had a bit of a fight with my boyfriend. The specifics aren't important but afterwards, even though he apologised, I was still fairly angry and I'm not the easiest person in the world to reason with when I'm in that state of mind.

I realised I needed to calm down or the fight would escalate more than it needed to and it just wouldn't have ended well. So, I put on my i-Pod, walked to Uni, had some coffee and a cigarette and went over the entire situation. I calmed down pretty quickly and the fight seems kind of silly in retrospect.

Anyway, discussion value incoming, I've noticed this is my pattern when I'm trying to calm down. I have some combination of the above four things (listen to music, take a walk, drink some coffee or smoke) and, when I'm calm, I reassess the situation.

So, what about you? Do take a walk? Punch walls? Play games and kill everything in sight? Or are you one of those people who doesn't bother trying to calm down and rages until they can't rage anymore?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'll either meditate on it or listen to music until I feel calm again.

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
I usually play violent video games where I get to horribly murder things...yeah I have issues, also usually I'll watch something that I know is really funny and try and laugh, actually really I just consume a ton of media and try and suspend my thinking process

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Going for a run helps... pretty much any intense physical activity. It sometimes helps if the person you're fighting with can participate in the activity with you (so long as the both of you don't say anything until afterward).

Yes, I do mean "any" physical activity. (as long as it's legal and doesn't exacerbate the situation.)

MuppeTeN

Feb 20, 2011
Make me a cup of tea XD

I Don't smoke or drink, so tea is my last option, or just walk away for 5min.

Jindrax

Aug 24, 2008
Watch youtube vids... Watch that one movie you love so much... Play your favorite game.. anything that reminds you of being happy really..

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I usually just burn up and rise from my ashes as a calm and centered individual.

Airhead

May 8, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
I realised I needed to calm down or the fight would escalate more than it needed to and it just wouldn't have ended well.
Congratz on being a reasonable person.

When I need to calm down because I'm angry, I find that channeling the rage into some physical activity like push-ups or running helps a lot.

If it's because I'm stressed and mentally fatigued then video games/funny youtube videos/music + beer do the trick.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
I will usually meditate and listen to music, as my first option. Otherwise I will draw and listen to music to help me vent out my anger and calm down. The final thing I will use to help me calm down is to play video games, that really does help.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I used to talk to my girlfriend but since we broke up i just sit in my room and read

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
i dont get angry, ever. That stops the problem at the source. It was hard but i had this video game when i was a kid and the controler was a heart monitor and you had to keep your heart rate really low to win, I got really really good.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Airhead said:
Colour-Scientist said:
I realised I needed to calm down or the fight would escalate more than it needed to and it just wouldn't have ended well.
Congratz on being a reasonable person.
I can be pretty nasty when I want to be. It takes a lot for me to get properly angry but when I do, if I didn't stop myself, I'd say/do really horrible things I don't mean and, thus, would have no friends.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Launch Just Cause 2.
Steal jet liner.
Crash it into an army base.
Lob grenades left and right while parachuting down.
Steal tank.
etc....

It's really ca.. cath... cra... carth... ...stress relieving.

Jamie McLaughlin

Nov 5, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Earlier this morning I had a bit of a fight with my boyfriend. The specifics aren't important but afterwards, even though he apologised, I was still fairly angry and I'm not the easiest person in the world to reason with when I'm in that state of mind.

I realised I needed to calm down or the fight would escalate more than it needed to and it just wouldn't have ended well. So, I put on my i-Pod, walked to Uni, had some coffee and a cigarette and went over the entire situation. I calmed down pretty quickly and the fight seems kind of silly in retrospect.

Anyway, discussion value incoming, I've noticed this is my pattern when I'm trying to calm down. I have some combination of the above four things (listen to music, take a walk, drink some coffee or smoke) and, when I'm calm, I reassess the situation.

So, what about you? Do take a walk? Punch walls? Play games and kill everything in sight? Or are you one of those people who doesn't bother trying to calm down and rages until they can't rage anymore?
This, + heavy drinking.

Chogg Van Helsing

May 27, 2010
Music, Dawn of War, sorted :D

Unless I get put against pros, then I lose, and get more pissed...

Also, having a great game of warhammer cheers me up massively :D

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
Turns on music, gets a drink, find some TCG-cards and either modifies or play a duel or two.