How Do You Calm Down?

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
I watch a sad/scary movie and then watch a few episodes of FiM. depression cancels out the anger and frustration and then the unabashedly silly and happy FiM cancels out the sad. It's what I always do after a really bad day at work.

For best results, mix any of the following movies with an hour of faustian pony goodness.
GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES!!!!!!!
5 Centimeters Per Second
Requiem For a Dream
Old "f*cking" Yeller
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
Jacob's Ladder
The Butterfly Effect
The 1973 Wicker Man
Being John Malkovitch
Synecdoche: New York

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
I've tried the epic rage technique, it never works too well. Now I just watch some television or listen to the radio, has to be one of the two, the commercials help I guess.

That or I make a grilled cheese sandwich, I've never been angry after making a grilled cheese.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I have several techniques.
Mostly I start yelling as loud as possible. As soon as my voice "breaks" because the vocal chords can't take it anylonger I realize that I reached the point where I can stop yelling and calm down.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I adjust the way I breathe.
I breathe out until there is no more breath left in me.

I also like to be close to the sun.
So that will brighten my mood literally.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If it in the morning than a walk into town or any other time I usually play a funny video to make me thing of something else.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Depending on rage levels I go from: just lying back listening to some music for a bit to, having a mediation session and then right up the wrong end; punch something, go for a walk, smoke and find someone to drink with.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
I used to punch holes in doors, but I stopped after I busted my right hand bad; also, yesterday Stephen Fry told me that punching things (or other outbursts) will eventually raise your temper more easily.

I listen to songs like this:

But mainly I'd say physical exercise and/or a pet bunny.

Kikyoo

Apr 16, 2008
well the last time I got really angry was at a teacher in like 8th grade. I calmed down after the councilor let me pound on her desk for a while in a rage.

When I get angry, I get really violent and aggressive. So I'm afraid the next time I lose my head I'll kill someone before I calm down, so I do what I can to not lose my head. If I do, I don't calm down quickly, and there is no ritual for it. I don't get angry often enough to have a ritual for it.

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
Get in my car and drive. I have to left alone when in a real rage. so driving and visiting my horse helps.
Also listening to Loreena McKennitt is an almost instant cool-down for me.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
I like to juxtapose my relaxation with horrific murder sessions on Gears of War 3 but then I balance the violence with a few episodes of MLP: FiM afterwards or some PMV's.
Best of both worlds in my opinion.

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
Log into whatever game me and my mates are playing, log into Skype, roll a dooby, and all is well.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I talk to my lover and he always seems to know how to calm me down. Either that or we do the dirty. :3

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Nicotine and Alcohol. That's how I calm down. Is it healthy? Hell no. Not even close but it certainly works for me and I guess that's the important point.

Mischa87

Jun 28, 2011
I like to suck on cold metal, always calms me down, I always keep some stainless steel rulers around for just this purpose.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I either watch a documentary on BBCiPlayer to take my mind off things, listen to a new song i've found or go onto Minecraft and build a little village.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I play Frozen Synapse or Beyond Good and Evil and listen to certain music:

as well as bands like Oasis and the Beatles.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
Zack Alklazaris said:
Thing such as cigarettes and other coping methods are dangerous because you become reliant on them and it takes more and more to calm down as you use them. I speak from experience. I the end I went on anti-depressants not because I was depressed, but the doctor suggested my serotonin (the stuff that makes you happy) could be low and cause me to snap easier. I've been on it for a month and our fights are so much easier. There are still as many fights as there was before, but we no longer are at each others throats by the end of it.
So from cigarettes to anti-depressants? Yea, that's how those things usually work.