How do you define your nationality?

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
I'm welsh, because I was born in Wales, raised in Wales, live in Wales, and all my family are welsh. (Although I don't know a single person who speaks welsh)

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Woodsey said:
"I could say I'm Scottish because I've lived here for half my life and my dads side of the family is Scottish.
I could at a stretch claim to be Austrian or Russian as my great great grandparents emigrated from there."

Well, not really and absolutely not.

I just say I'm British. If anyone within Britian asks, I'll say I'm English, but they never do because they can hear it. And no one outside of Britain will ever know what constitutes Britiain, so it's not worth the pedantry. Plus, I like the inclusivity angle - the whole Scottish feud shit is stupid. If you need someone to despise, despise those bloody Northerners - not those north of the Northerners.

I find the particularly American habit of "I'm 3/4 Irish and 2/3 Scandinavian and my great-grandfather once had a drink with an Eskimo and also knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a dude from Tibet" attitude to be stupid. You're American, no need for a lesson in bloody genealogy.
You're a southerner? Eww :p

And while I agree that grasping at genealogical straws to try and be something you're not is kinda silly, if it's a big part of how you've been brought up you can't really dismiss that.

Evil Smurf said:
I'm Australian
http://images.nonexiste.net/popular/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/As-a-guy-who-should-not-drink-I-face-this-problem-tomorrow-AKA-Straya-Day.jpeg
I like drinking too, is there a connection? No.
Hahah, There aren't many Un-Australians here in Scotland.
Epic Fail 1977 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
I could say I'm English because I was born in England.
I could say I'm Scottish because I've lived here for half my life and my dads side of the family is Scottish.
Why not just say you're half-English half-Scottish?
I suppose I could do but that doesn't feel right. I feel like an outsider of both.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Auron225 said:
- If I say "British", people immediately think "English" which is not only annoying since that is false but it also seems to have more negative connotations than positive.
Calling Northern Ireland British would also technically be false. You would be something like a UKian. I am either British or UKian (which is apparently also a race in Star Wars), but since I just made up the second one I guess I will have to stick with British for the moment.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
100% irish

To the rest of ireland im a corkman (our version of texas)
To dubliners im a culchie (our version of the word redneck)

To people outside of ireland im an irish catholic.
For some reason its generally people who arent from ireland who care the most about my religion
I find people skirt around the issue uncomfortably until I either say it or they just out and out ask. If they annoy me I just say im from the republic and leave them wondering.

I also classify myself as European, im quite patriotic to the EU.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm an Oregonian, and it it were to succeed from the union I'd probably be quite okay with that. Its been around 15 years since I wasn't ashamed of my country for one reason or another. Still, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else except for Canada, the UK or the more rural parts of Japan.

I'm sure Scandinavia/Australia/New Zealand are lovely, but I imagine too cold/hot for me.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Headsprouter said:
This is difficult for me because I'm from Northern Ireland. And to screw stuff up even more, my dad's from a Protestant background, and my mum is Catholic. I like to joke that I'm a half-blood. Eh, it's all meaningless beating of a dead horse, anyway.

Well, I say I'm Irish because it's got a better vibe than British, also I have red hair and am short, so it fits my appearance, too. I also like the colour green. However, I have a Scottish surname and lack an identifiable accent. Oh, well. I'm a mutant. A misfit. Let's just say I'm an Irish fellow who appreciates the British influence and cares little for Religion as a collective pursuit, but will not deny people the right to believe in whatever they want to.
If you are what counts for a misfit, then we need a hell of a lot more misfits here :)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I begrudgingly call myself British/English whenever its an official question or query. The rest of the time I refer to myself as being from "europes dying isles".

In terms of lineage, I know that theres been english, Irish, Australian and French blood in there, but noone in my family knows exactly in what order and who it was that gave us each piece.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Half-Swedish, half-Norwegian by blood. Born and raised in Sweden. I think there's some Danish in there too...

Basically I'm a Viking.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
tis sweet land o' norway

we got more money then than intellect.
we pretend to be a moral absolute all the time (and you all fell for it. HA!)
we have bought all the real life "+1 cold resistants" upgrades
we have kind of an iffy legal system
we are a demonaracy (democracy and monarchy)
we are soft spoken, polite, and nice in order to make up for all the raping and pillaging our ancestors did
we have oil (or to put it in terms everyone can understand. we are filth stinking rich)

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
I don't feel any real kinship with anywhere.

I am an expat. I was raised in a few different countries, moved around a lot.

Now I live in the UK (Which is where I am from. I leave it as "UK" though, not English, British or anything else) and that is where I call home. Ethnicity and nationalities are complicated. I live in the UK, I am a citizen of the UK and I intend to try and make this place the best place it could be.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Bioligically I am Japanese, my passport says I am japanese.
However, I grew up in Australia.
I now live in Japan but I still doont identify myself as fully Japanese.

Like mentioned earlier, I feel Australia is a young country so it is hard for me to identify the Aussie cultural influences in me.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Born in Denmark, identify as Norwegian since I've lived here most of my life. Norway can be described this way:
Good to live in if you have the money.

I'm getting out of here once I'm done with my studies.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Ironside said:
Auron225 said:
- If I say "British", people immediately think "English" which is not only annoying since that is false but it also seems to have more negative connotations than positive.
Calling Northern Ireland British would also technically be false. You would be something like a UKian. I am either British or UKian (which is apparently also a race in Star Wars), but since I just made up the second one I guess I will have to stick with British for the moment.
Well yes if we're gonna be picky about it! =P Northern Ireland isn't technically part of Great Britain but it is usually referred to be. I am entitled to a British passport though should I want one so that still counts for something.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I say British or European, depending on where I am. I never say English because I'm one of those optimistic sorts who still wants the Union to remain strong.

That said I'm planning on moving out of the country after I finish my degree. Nothing against the country personally, Britain has been kind to me. But I need somewhere with a warmer climate...

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
Despite what the paper works says I believe in the American ideals, though not exactly the country itself. Nationality is nice when trying to say where you come from but I'm not beholden to its boarders alone ^_^

Citizen of the World here, if you follow ;)

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Saregon said:
How easy would it be for someone who speaks English to get around? I've looked into learning Norwegian before but resources for doing so are kind of scarce in my city.