How do you react to being hit on/checked out?

Oct 2, 2012
Well I'm pretty oblivious to everything but the most obvious flirtations but assuming I do notice it I'd probably get a bit red-faced and nervous.
Only if it was a stranger though. I flirt with my friends and other non-strangers all the time. Sometimes even seriously.

And I don't react out to someone just checking me out. I usually give the person a glare and if they continue I get fairly rude. I don;t like people staring at me, it makes me feel very very uncomfortable.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
trollnystan said:
Hmm, seeing as I haven't been flirted with in years and I haven't noticed anyone checking me out, I'm not a hundred percent sure how I'd react. Probably with suspicion. Most men who've expressed an interest in the past have either been in relationships - married or living with another woman - drunk off their arse, or obviously trying to take advantage of a teenage girl who looks like nobody loves her. (Yes, that was over 10 years ago; I SAID it's been a long time since someone has shown interest.) The women who've approached me have simply just matter of fact asked if I wanted to fuck and then taken my no at face value. Again, been a long time since either has happened. Understandable as I've gained weight, my teeth are a fucking mess, and looking like nobody loves you at 30 isn't quite as "attractive" to sleezeballs.

But assuming it's benevolent and as long as they don't cross into sexual harassment, I guess I'd be flattered.
I think you're pretty, judging by the couple of photos I've seen!

Does this count as hitting on you?

Quick, react so you can answer the thread!

[sub] I'm straight unfortunately but I stand by my statement![/sub]

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
As a twenty year old nerd who met his only real girlfriend so far online:
I... I actually never noticed someone checking me out :(
Also I am pretty sure that nobody ever hit on me...
I am just nothing special and tend to just blend in and be ignored. Partly I like being like that and partly I absolutely hate that everybody around me gets in relationships and whatnot while I am just kinda there (also I am really not a very flirty person and generally really awkward around people, especially around girls I like.

So yeah, I hope it happens at one point, at which I will make a thread like this of my very own.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
depends. cute guy? flattered and a bit nervous (not that it would go anywhere, for i am in a ten-year uninterrupted relationship)
creepy dude? weirded out, mostly. not nice being looked at like a pierce of meat (for some of the very far edge of the creep spectrum maybe quiet literally)

also, one point for me in a mini game that my best friend and i play on who gets hit on more often. :D

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
unexpected, but flattering.
I usually try to laugh it up and return the compliment, from there, it pretty much depends on who this person is and wether I'm attracted to them or not.

I used to be very awkward about it, and I still suck at delibaritly flirting with someone, but it's progress. ^^

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Well, I react differently in all different situations. If it's someone that I'm interested in, then obviously I respond with as much charm and confidence as I can muster, which is sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. If it's a person that I'm not sure I'm interested in then I just act as I do in any random meeting in a pub or club, laugh, joke, share cigarettes whatever, but don't respond to any flirting. That goes for girls and the odd gay lad. Only time I've ever reacted with anything less than courtesy was when some idiot came over and immediately made some seriously vulgar propositions. I figured he was joking and laughed it off but he persisted, amping it up even more. I turned cold and told him flatly to walk away, at the same time that my friends stepped in to do the same. If he'd persisted even then I would have threatened to knock him on his ass. Fortunately he didn't though. Most people who have hit on me at least have some understanding of how to behave in public, and most of the people I know do as well.

GrimmjowPantera

Feb 8, 2008
i dunno about checking out. i smile at everyone that makes eye contact with me but i have no idea if they're checking me out.

but i flirt with almost everyone that flirts with me, if i notice.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
torno said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Me? Get hit on? That would assume that I was attractive enough to...well, be attractive.
Same sentiment here.
Want to cry together?
Mind if I join you guys? I'll bring tissues and ice-cream

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Miyenne said:
So I was just out grocery shopping when at the deli counter I ended up waiting my turn behind two rather attractive men. Being a woman with a pulse, I checked them out.

A few isles later I ran into one. I gave him a once over again which he obviously noted, and he laughed. Not an awkward "Oh, she's checking me out, what do I do?" laugh or a "I'm flattered" laugh, but a derisive snort that said "Who does she think she is?". Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I can't find men attractive and make it known.

I was rather annoyed. Why be annoyed that someone finds you attractive? It's not like I grabbed his shirt and begged him to date me or sleep with me, I was just enjoying looking at him with no expectations whatsoever.

The other guy had given me a nice, warm smile and went on his way. He got it.

If I get hit on or checked out I usually just say thank you and that's that. If I even realise that's what's happening, as it's rather rare for me to be hit on.

So how do you guys handle situations like that?
A girl once said i had a cute nose. That just sounded weird at the time. Guess im not one to take complements.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
Do people in this thread just have no self-confidence, or?
We're just all ugly and have gone through school with all the other kids making fun of us and calling us ugly every day. Or at least that's my story. It sticks with you the rest of your life and you'll never have self confidence from that point on. But words don't hurt, apparently.

If you've been asked out randomly in the street then you're probably pretty attractive and I don't think you fully appreciate how hard it is to live being ugly.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
sleeky01 said:
Perhaps that was his "Oh, she's checking me out, what do I do?" laugh. Alot of people use laughter as an unconcious defence mechanism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nervous_laughter
Coulda been. It didn't seem that way to me though. It's not like it's a mortal wound to my pride or anything, just a bit miffed at the time and thought it would make a good post afterwards.

Kaulen Fuhs said:
Alisha?!

Kidding. Anyway, the guy was probably just a grade-A douchenozzle, the kind who thinks he deserves nothing less than an Angelina Jolie body type.
No idea who Alisha is, sorry! And if he was that type of guy it has no impact on my life. Doubt I'll ever see him again, and if I do I won't remember him. It wasn't like I was looking at his face.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
My usual response to these actions is to deflect any compliments handed to me as calmly as possible and move on.

This happens with disturbing regularity. From both sexes.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Being checked out in public? Aim to make them the embarrased party if I'm feeling mean. Or just smile. Smiling is good.

Being hit on and not interested? I figured out that one pretty fast at uni. I'm pretty good at staying on the friendly side of conversation as opposed to flirty.

Being hit on and interested? I feel this one is kinda self explanatory.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
shootthebandit said:
San Martin said:
When a honey looks me in the eye, her soft, scarlet lips gently caressed by the sublime sexiness of her tongue, I flash her one of those irrestible "come get me" stares, and I say "babe, we gon' get on down".

Then I take her in my 1968 Chevrolet Corvette back to the steamy luxury of my crib, pour her out a glass of wine, put on one of my Barry White vinyls, and sink down onto the couch with her.

And she says, "honey, you are SUCH a hunk", and I reply "you know it". And the atmosphere gets more and more electric, my hand grabs her thigh, she softly moans cos' she knows it's what she's been dreaming of all night when I give her the look. Yeah, it's the look that says it's time to be getting on down.

So I take her by the hand and lead her to the warm, gentle embrace of my boudois, we collapse into each other's arms and make sweet, sweet love all night.

That's one of the two possible results of someone checking me out. The other is that I blush and say something stupid.
I sense sarcasm but do you actually have a 1968 'vette if so is it a stingray?

As a straight man if you hit on me and you had a 1968 corvette stingray id drop my pants
Some one is a little easy arnt we? lol, on a serious note with alot of stuttering and courage to ask her for a drink but by the time I have the courage im half way home thinking FML, why did I not say anything.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
The few times women hit on me I felt overwhelmed with pity for them. And as Jim Jeffries said, "There's nothing worse you can give anyone in this world than pity."

The several times men hit on me, I always felt creeped out. Not because I'm homophobic, but because men are just naturally aggressive I think, and if you mix sexual innuendo in there the wheels come flying off and it becomes a nightmare. Each time it happened I could only wonder if that's how men typically sound when they talk to women, all aggressive, presumptuous, and of a desire to only help themselves.

Kirke

Apr 3, 2011
My response to anyone I don't know talking to me is to be polite, but wonder what the hell the bloke wants. I have never been flirted with, and I have convinced myself that nobody is interested in me. On top of that I have utter belief that romance is far too much trouble, so I had convinced myself that I wasn't interested in anyone.

That fell apart when I fell in love, and a ferocious battle has been raging for weeks between my social anxieties, feelings of love and conviction that it is not worth it. And people call me socially adjusted, what a joke.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Take it as the joke that it quite clearly is because fat and ugly.