How do you react to being hit on/checked out?

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I've been told I'm really quite shockingly bad at picking up on girls hitting on me, but on the occasion i do then it's one of three.

a) I find them attractive, so i flirt back...who knows, maybe it will go somewhere.

b) I don't find them attractive, so i smile say thank you and be friendly but steer the conversation in a neural direction.

c) I'm not sure if they are flirting with me/hitting on me so i sort of turn into an idiot and say stupid stuff as i try to work out if she IS hitting on me or if i'm just imagining/wishing she was.

It's option c a depressingly large proportion of the time sadly enough though

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
I just roll with it, all the while thinking: okay girl, you have 30 seconds to convince me WHY you think you are better/more beautiful/smarter than my girlfriend. No? Thought so, now leave me be while I drink my beer (assuming I'm in a club/bar at the moment.
Evolutionary thinking: I act not interested (because I'm not), and this help with the whole "I don't give a fuck' attitude, so more women to disappoint ;)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Um... Freak out, panic, and try to get away from the person?

Yeah... That sounds about right.

Although... With my track record it's equally likely I wouldn't even notice in the first place.

Colour-Scientist said:
Do people in this thread just have no self-confidence, or?
Um... Nope. None whatsoever.
Well... OK, let me qualify that. I'm vaguely confident around people I know, or when dealing with certain specific topics...

But in general, no.

Then again I may be a bad example given that I have social phobia and... At the moment, a tendency to get severe panic attacks at the slightest provocation when people are around...

So... Yeah. >_>

I could say more on the matter, but I'm not sure I really want to get into a subject that's quite that awkward... XD
This is pretty much the way I react too. I have managed to ignore a girl 7 years (and counting) after she hit on me. Living in a small place, going to the same school and taking the same bus I'd say that is pretty damn impressive.

Now being checked out or hit on doesn't really happen that much to me, but most of the time I feel uncomfortable and not sure what to do. I get checked out every now and then at the gym and that really disturbs my confidence and concentration. I still can't get the image of that time when a girl actually had to twist her neck a perfect 90 degree to look my way and she did that while exercising until I finally moved to another place. I think it's normal to feel a little crept out at that...

What's funny though is that I quite enjoy flirting, I'm just terrified if someone flirts back.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Hah, as if anyone would hit on/check out this monster penis truck. But if they do I'll turn into this flatchested enforcer and beat the ever-tsundere-loving shit out of them for impure thoughts!

!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have tendency to be a little of oblivious to such things. But if I do notice I will find some excuse to stretch or bend over to give them a better look at the goods :p

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
TehCookie said:
Depends on who it is, if it's a creeper I get creeped out. Otherwise I'm usually equal parts flattered and embarrassed.
better make sure you don't get too close or it might explode!!!

OT: I'd love to get hit on...in fact i'd give my left nut (kinda fond of my right) to get hit on these days, think the last time i got hit on was 6 years ago maybe, so ladies come at me haha!

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
I flirt with the person, no matter which sex they are or how they look. I do the same to people that check out my husband. I've got eyes and I'm going to use them. I don't want to discourage anyone else from looking.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I? just don't get hit on/checked out xD

In fact, living in Japan and being a half-Japanese dude with an afro in a country with a 99% indigenous population, I'd garner to say that I'm stared at like a strange and bizarre creature most of the time. I usually just ignore it xD

Euskalduna

Oct 15, 2011
latiasracer said:
Captcha: "Which does a vegetarian eat?" No joke, a Kitten is an option
You clearly have not played Organ Trail.

I personally wouldn't mind so long as it doesn't get physical, but otherwise, enjoy.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Miyenne said:
So I was just out grocery shopping when at the deli counter I ended up waiting my turn behind two rather attractive men. Being a woman with a pulse, I checked them out.

A few isles later I ran into one. I gave him a once over again which he obviously noted, and he laughed. Not an awkward "Oh, she's checking me out, what do I do?" laugh or a "I'm flattered" laugh, but a derisive snort that said "Who does she think she is?". Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I can't find men attractive and make it known.

I was rather annoyed. Why be annoyed that someone finds you attractive? It's not like I grabbed his shirt and begged him to date me or sleep with me, I was just enjoying looking at him with no expectations whatsoever.

The other guy had given me a nice, warm smile and went on his way. He got it.

If I get hit on or checked out I usually just say thank you and that's that. If I even realise that's what's happening, as it's rather rare for me to be hit on.

So how do you guys handle situations like that?
Well, when I get hit on I quietly thank the gods and try to keep her interest. I don't get hit on often because my demeanor is cold and intimidating, but when I do I am absolutely horrible at talking to girls that find me attractive. If we are just friends or we work together I am smooth and dashing, but once she shows interest I get the dumb.

Now for your story. I would never sneer at a person checking me out, but I would let them know if I was uninterested. However, I find that girls are most often the ones to be annoyed or snarky when we guys check them out. Normally they are the girls that have always been "pretty" and know next to nothing about humility, but I digress.

In short, I know that feel bro.

Nightmare99

Aug 8, 2012
I always smile and try to be nice, if I find the girl attractive I will flirt a bit back. Even though I am married I do still enjoy the attention lol.

NotAwesomeAtAll

Jun 9, 2011
I instantly suspect a sinister secret motive which obviously does not exist. I then duck out of the conversation and try to avoid the person at all costs. I don't have trust issues! Why would you even suggest that?

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
This uhh... This was a dumb question to ask on a gaming forum in all honesty. Every response can be wrapped up as; awkwardly, dismissively, defensively, or "wut". It may be "offensive" to say this, but most gamers are one of three things, too jaded, too sheltered, or too introverted. None of those attributes make for a very positive reaction in these cases. Of course there are exceptions, but I think you'd find more diversity on a more... Well... Diverse forum.

At the risk, however, of going off topic, I'll put myself in the jaded category. I don't believe in flirting and the like, despite being checked out on a -semi- regular basis, the game just bores me.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I've never really had anyone hit on me, or if they have I've never noticed so because of that I'd probably be very flattered.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
As a guy who gets checked out everytime I'm walking around, it gets annoying :/
It's mostly because most of the girls here are just "interested" in either sex, money or personal stuff. You know what I mean, the tipical girl that dresses in basiclly nothing and her friends that follow.

Over the past few months, a couple of shy but really nice girls took the first step, long story short you can tell when someone is naturally nice and just wants to get to know you.

So yea, depends on the person I might talk to her or just say not interested.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Depends.

If it's done in a slutty way, it pissed me off.
If it's done in a none-slutty way, it's flattering.

However, I don't think I have ever been sincerely hit on and noticed at the time.
Perhaps if I was less offended by shallow approaches this wouldn't be the case.

I've also misunderstood. I thought this person was interested in me for a year. Turned out he was just *very sociable and... physically friendly...*