How do you say Melee?

Area57

Mar 31, 2011
MisterM2402 said:
SUPER SMASH BRRROTHERS MELEEEEEEE!

It's a French word, so it IS may-lay. The British pronunciation is NOT mee-lee - never heard *anybody* say that ever.

albino boo said:
zer0kevin said:
I used to say Me Lee also until someone told me the correct pronunciation.

ITS FRENCH: mêlée is the actual spelling. So the correct way to say it grammatically is may-lay
Do you also say Pari for Paris and Koln for Cologne? We won the battle Waterloo I will pronounce it the English way. Now pass me my cigarette case, its the one with two crossed dead Frenchmen with the background of dead Frenchmen on the lid.
It's OK to pronounce things as the native speakers do - you wouldn't ignore the umlaut over the 'i' in 'naive' and pronounce it like 'knave' or 'knive', would you? And yes, that's supposed to be the wrong spelling of 'knife'. You wouldn't pronounce 'Camembert' with a hard 'T' at the end, would you? It just depends on what's accepted as the correct pronunciation and in this case it's 'may-lay'.

P.S. 'Foie gras', 'mardi gras', 'Grand Prix', 'nouvelle cuisine', 'Cote d'Ivoire', 'gourmand', 'gourmet', 'l'Arc de Triomphe', 'le Tricolore', 'Nice (the place)', 'champagne', 'Roquefort', 'a la carte', 'carte blanche', 'm'aider! (written as 'may-day'), 'au contraire', 'femme fatale', 'genre', 'bon voyage'....
I'll stop now....
Actually, in the native tongue it sounds more like "meh-lae".
http://www.larousse.com/en/dictionaries/french/melee
Also mayday is the correct English word , but the original French expression m'aidez sounds more like "meh-dae".
http://www.larousse.com/en/dictionaries/french/aider

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
It's definitely meh-lay for me. It's simply easier/quicker to say in a sentence.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
May Lay for me..
but sometimes i go with... 'come closer now, dont be shy...BAM!HACK!SLACH!WHACK!'
but i dont think games would put that kind of description in char customization because its a tad bit longer then May Lay :(

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Mehlay is how I pronounce it. A lot of my friends pronounce it as meelee and for some reason it irritates me.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Meh, Lay.
Not as like, two whole seperate syllables though, I roll the word out quite quickly.

One of my friends pronounces it mee, lee. It's REALLY annoying.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
The voice in my head says me-lee, but I pronounce it may-lay. I get a lot of weird even though it's apparently the right way to say it.