How do you say Melee?

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
I used to just pronounce it me-lee but not I say it both ways.

I wish english spelling was fenetik(phonetic)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Griffstar said:
zehydra said:
Griffstar said:
Me-Lee
May-lay sounds freaking weird.
but is the correct pronunciation
Not to me it isn't. Some people just pronounce things differently.
And some people just pronounce things wrong. You don't pronounce BUCKET "Bouquet" or APPLE "oppelee." You CAN, but it's wrong. You can say 2+2=5, but you'd be wrong.

dannybates

Aug 18, 2010
Does it really matter which way people say it? As long as you know what it means then it should be ok

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
May-Lay...

As in
"Melee combat is for real men, brawling and such... Only women use M60s and AK-47s."
or
"A Melee weapon could be anything from a crowbar, knife, butt end of a gun, sword, baseball bat, pen, jukebox, hair pick, calculator, beer bottle, baby bottle, can of spaghettios, chainsaw, thermometer, jar of homemade whiskey, torch, dagger, katana, power cord, hair brush, algebra text book, 2x2 w/ nails, TV, battleaxe, hunting spear, swiss army knife, bathtub... Stuff like that."

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
May-lay, which is the correct way to pronounce it.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?melee001.wav=melee

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
JackandTom said:
I've heard it said two ways but I wanted to know what was more common. Personally I say it like Me Lee, like its spelt but what about you guys?
may-lay
it's french of course.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I'm going to go with this.

Which actually sounds like meh-lay more than may-lay, the latter of which I thought was the technically correct pronunciation. This site has been pretty reliable for me though (it even recognises the infuriatingly deliberate dropping of the 'h' in the word herb for the American pronunciation, which seems very strange to me as an official/semi-official pronunciation, but I digress), so now I can pronounce the word with confidence and assurance that I was right all along. :)

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
It's a French word, so I say it the same way I would when I talk French. (Mé-lée)

I don't think that's the correct pronunciation in English though, it's probably May-lay.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
When used alone, I say "May-lay," but when combined with other words, I say "muhlay."

"I play Super Smash Brothers May-lay, where all of my characters use muhlay attacks. :p"

norender

Aug 19, 2010
The way i say it is May-lee. But I hear it all the time as May-lay which really doesn't change anything.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
Xero Scythe said:
May-Lay.

It's stupid, but then again, it's french. Bordeaux which looks like it should be pronounced "Bored-ee-ooh-x is really pronounced Bor-d'oh. The french hate letters, apparently, despite their love of the unused letters. On the other hand, Bordeaux sounds incredibly sexy, so I wouldn't mind if my GF was named that.

Oh, confused thoughts and rambling fingers!
eaux is usually pronounced as "oh" or "euo"