How does a "Portal" deathmatch sound?

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Of course as it is it would be pretty lame, but if the battlefield you played in was pretty damn dangerous (spikes, flame pits, closing walls, high falls, other creative deaths) would you think it worth playing?

EDIT: I think the main reason I ask is because Portal adds a new gameplay mechanic, so if deathmatches were done in a unique way, they could actually still require a degree of puzzle solving, more points for creative kills, the orb that disintigrates you for example could be fun to play with, lazer beams as well, heck, use the bouncing liquids etc in order to make people fall off slopes.

Obviously Portal isn't about death and violence, which is why I'm not being literal when asking this, I don't expect it added any time soon other than via mods.

I personally think deathmatch in portal would be far more fun and hilarious then boring typical FPS deathmatches and teamwork matches, I'm pretty fed up of the traditional, shoot this, shoot that sort of matches ¬_¬

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
nope portal is a puzzle game, think does death match wheres wally/waldo sound good?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
If nobody takes fall damage...It'll require just dropping people in "water", really. Or really elaborate traps that would normally require momentum. Which the opponent could just stop moving to counter. >_>

Sounds like crap from the get-go.

LinkasZelda

May 2, 2011
I think it could be interesting.. For example, you need to shoot a portal above a pit of spikes and under their feet, but they have to move out of the way or shoot a portal under said spikes and over the other guy..
it would definitely need work, but I think portals are an interesting mechanic. Why stop at puzzles? :]

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Portal Deathmatch? Eh, maybe.

Personally, I've got a different idea for multiplayer portal.

One person has the portal gun, and everyone else has regular guns. Guy with the portal gun has to avoid being killed as long as he can. The longer he stays alive, the more points he gets. Whoever kills him, gets the portal gun. Most points at the end wins. Or something like that.

Imagine using the portal gun in THAT capacity? Making quick escapes, or placing a portal RIGHT under an enemy's feet, leading them to an acid death? I think it has merit, at least.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
I always thought capture the flag would be perfectly suited to Portal's mechanics.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Killing each other was one of the first things we did after we turned on the "portals everywhere" command:

S1leNt RIP

Feb 15, 2011
But here's where it'd be good...CTF!

Or just a king of the hill/keep away kinda thing. Actual portal gun shots slow the target, but they put your portal gun on cool down for a couple seconds. Tap [Use] to take the bacon, then you have to run away! Have most of the environment be portal'able and then have environmental traps around.

I'd like to try it!

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Portal Deathmatch? Eh, maybe.

Personally, I've got a different idea for multiplayer portal.

One person has the portal gun, and everyone else has regular guns. Guy with the portal gun has to avoid being killed as long as he can. The longer he stays alive, the more points he gets. Whoever kills him, gets the portal gun. Most points at the end wins. Or something like that.

Imagine using the portal gun in THAT capacity? Making quick escapes, or placing a portal RIGHT under an enemy's feet, leading them to an acid death? I think it has merit, at least.
That actually sounds extremely fun.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
lithium.jelly said:
No. Not everything needs a goddamn deathmatch.
Well, Volition heard this...and took out the Versus Modes from Saint's Row 3.

So, some developers that used to pointlessly add it in are learning.

5 YEARS FROM NOW...MAYBE ALL OF THEM.

wizard_joe88

Nov 12, 2010
Wikipedia says said:
In addition to the cooperative mode, Valve had considered a competitive mode. According to writer Erik Wolpaw, the mode resembled a variation of speedball where one team would attempt to transport a ball from one side of the playing field to the other using portals, while the other team would attempt to stop them with their own use of portals. While Wolpaw said the matches would begin with this objective in mind, they would quickly descend into chaos. Instead, they realized people enjoyed solving puzzles with portals more, and focused on the cooperative mode
Yup, any competitive mode in portal would get crazy pretty fast

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
CleverNickname said:
Killing each other was one of the first things we did after we turned on the "portals everywhere" command:

"How could you fail? That wasn't even a test!"

Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, Volition heard this...and took out the Versus Modes from Saint's Row 3.

So, some developers that used to pointlessly add it in are learning.

5 YEARS FROM NOW...MAYBE ALL OF THEM.
Ah, what a wonderful world that will be to live in... Well, at least it'll be wonderful when turning on a game.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
A Deathmatch mode in Portal? No.

A Deathmatch mode in the next Half-Life installment with a portal gun that would promise for REAL fast and furious gameplay? By all means.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I dont like DM in normal FPS games. its mindless not so fun retarded crap. so my vote is NO.

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
I can see it being somewhat stealthy. Everyone has portal guns and only melee attacks. You have to be quick with portals or drop down on people. Dropping people onto hazards seems...too easy. If one person finds a camping spot where nobody can see them, kills will just come too easily.