How I would create a game to troll 90% of FPS players

LordFish

May 29, 2012
AndrewF022 said:
#1 #2 #5 #7 and #8 describe Counter-Strike.. so maybe you could just make a mod for that game.

Also the game is still widely popular so some people would probably enjoy a different take on that kind of shooter.
And #9 surely? at least on the servers skulk about on from time to time :)

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
MammothBlade said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Let us compare TF2 to CoD in the points you have made:
Team Fortress 2:

1: Matches
2: Matches
3: Matches
4: Matches
5: Matches
6: Matches
7: Matches
8: Matches
9: Matches
10: Matches

Call of Duty:

1: Doesn't match
2: Doesn't match
3: Doesn't match
4: Doesn't match
5: Doesn't match
6: Doesn't match
7: Doesn't match
8: Doesn't match
9: Doesn't match
10: Doesn't match
Wow. Looks like the thread should have been called:

"How I would create a game exactly like Team Fortress 2 to troll 100% of Call of Duty players"
No, absolutely not. I don't know why people keep mentioning TF2. It's not some sort of class or team based game I'm talking about, nor does it have comic-style graphics. The weapons are nothing like those in TF2. When I say "antique", "obscure", or "imaginary" I'm talking weapons such as the Mosin-Nagant, the Sterling submachine gun, Type 99 LMG, Luger, 8 gauge shotguns which pack one hell of a punch, or sniper rifles with 2 shots before they need to be reloaded. Maybe that sounds mostly like pre-assault rifle weaponry.
Well then, I know the greatest game ever to troll those COD players:

Get them to play... Call of Duty 2, or Medal of Honor Allied Assault!
They both fulfil numbers 3, 5,6,7,8,9, and 10, and are exactly the style you were looking for.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
I'm curious how this would look expanded to other genres. My guess?

How to troll RTS players:
1. Create a unit-cap that changes every other minute. If you exceed the cap, all your units blow up.
2. You can create units beyond the resource cost you have. However, once the first units you built over your resources are finished, all of your units stop where they are and begin to die a slow, horrible death while the computer keeps yelling, "FOOD SHORTAGE!"
3. A building on fire sends all of your worker units into a panic until several of them put on red hats and form a bucket brigade to put out the fire.
4. In the case of sci-fi or fantasy RTS, armies that are made up of a hive-mind like group will scatter every time a light is shined on them, and will dedicate most of its units solely to feeding the young, taking care of the eggs, and carrying the queen/king's fat ass around, whether the player wants them to or not.
5. Alien armies, on the other hand, will not attack human armies, choosing to have sex with them instead. And the humans will worship them as gods, because aliens.
6. No matter what unit the player/players build, it will easily be destroyed in one shot from each army's weakest units. Zerg Rushes for everyone!

How to troll "Hardcore" RPG players:
1. The player can change their skills around at any time, for little or no cost
2. Any attempts at stealing or pickpocketing results in the player being arrested and having their hands cut off.
3. Guards are infinitely more powerful than the player, regardless of their abilities or level.
4. The player's stuff can and probably will be stolen due to their constant absences from home, and the armor they're currently wearing will likely be stolen off of them from clever pickpockets. Also they'll probably get a mine or poison planted on them.
5. All dragons or similarly epic random monsters will die in one hit, from anyone or anything. And if someone else kills it, you can't loot it.
6. If the game is an open world, create only three possible endings.
7. If the game is more linear, create an infinite loop where the player never gets an ending. After all, they're only there for the grind anyways.

How to troll "Casual" RPG players:
1. Make a game a hardcore RPG player would like

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
I had an idea for an FPS that would totally do this. It was to begin where the main character goes off to war in a brown environment with two weapons, and there are slabs of wall everywhere for cover. It totally seems like another cookie-cutter shooter, until it suddenly pulls something on you, making it like Serious Sam mixed with Monster Party with a bit of Conker's Bad Fur Day off to the side.
Lugbzurg said:
One day, the craziest videogame idea I had ever thought of popped into my head during one of those "Don't do Drugs" presentations in high school. That should give you some context. It's called "Noble". And it makes no sense at all.

Reginald Noble awakes from his chambers and strolls around the military base. He is the only one dressed casually, and the only one in the entire complex speaking informally.

When war breaks out, Reggie breaks out his three-headed chaingun and charges out against the enemy forces in a brown/gray environment, with plenty of cover, and some extra second gun (like a shotgun, or something). It all seems like your average cookie-cutter shooter for a few minutes, until the freaky monsters start showing up.

Before you know it, you're fighting elephants with machine guns, pixelated things inside a 16-Bit dimension and battling flying textbooks that breathe fire and horrible flesh-hungry food in Mr. Noble's old high school.

It plays in a very oldschool style, reminiscent of Serious Sam, Duke Nukem or Quake. You've got weapons that shoot things like chickens and fireworks. Mines come in the form of wet cats, Reginald's melee attack is a headbutt and you gain health by chasing down anthropomorphic food that screams and runs away when it sees you (mostly doughnuts with eyeballs), all like the cheese or the key in Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Did I mention this game makes absolutely no sense and solely exists to be as ridiculous as possible?
Along with over-the-top weapons, like the aforementioned Three-Headed Chaingun, there'd be double-barreled pistols and a seven-headed shotgun, along with crazy weapons, like the aforementioned wet cats as mines, along with a mortar that shoots radioactive chickens, and a large gun that fires giant popcorn kernels that go "Pop!" When it gets to a vehicle section, you can see a tank and a helicopter. But, they explode, and get replaced with an ice cream truck and a unicorn.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
If you wanna troll have those things you hate but have them be bad like:
Regenerating health working only 25% of the time and even then not well.
Iron Sights being shaky and lowering accuracy.
Deathstreaks which count how many times you die in a row.
Killstreak Kill-switches when you get a streak higher than 5 you die .
Knives are not one hit kills.
Auto Miss like auto aim but it misses.
Any sniper rifle used at close range will have ghost bullets.
Any shotgun used at long range will do the same.
Mics will mute automatically after 30 seconds of use.
(Btw nice idea for a legitimately good shooter in your post OP)

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
In terms of trolling people I can't find a flaw, but I think some of your ideas would be good for a real game.

So here goes. I Disagree with your first point as long as, they remove auto aim like you say in your second point. As long there is no auto aim, iron sights add a fun mechanic to the game, as it is a more accurate way to fire, without the work being done for you.

I also think that points 3 and 4 contradict each other. I agree with point 3 in that assault rifles are able to do everything and kind of ruin any sort of strategy due to players using them are able to cope with any situation, but then in point 4 you say we should be allowed more than 2 primary weapons. This means that any player can cope with any situation, so why not just allow automatic assault rifles then?

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Numbers 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 describe Halo.

Well ok, Halo does have an assault rifle, but it sucks ass and doesn't hold a candle to the burst/semi auto weapons. And yeah, sure, Halo does have a 1 button melee, but the melee isn't an instant kill unless using a melee weapon so it counts.
Also, depending on which game it is, there's #10 as well....sort of.

Also #9, but only through a quote from Red vs Blue

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
TestECull said:
They have these tacked on online modes because people buy them in droves. Just look at CoD. The game is objectively awful, yet breaks sales records because of the multiplayer. Making an SP-only CoD game would, thus, accomplish two noble feats:

1: Troll FPS players.
2: put a dying franchise out of our misery.
They have modes tacked on because they want to steal the CoD's spotlight. Heck, what happened to the MMORPGs that tried to steal from WoW's userbase? I'm not comparing full games to MP modes duct taped to half games, but the logic is the same.

The problem is... nobody plays those games online because everyone is too busy playing CoD. If you want to kill CoD that's one thing, but making FPS without multiplayer has been on the table for most players I have ever come across on the internet. The "I won't buy unless it has MP" crowd isn't that big.

Of course, it's not on the table for most publishers.

TestECull said:
Moving it down to look up is what's odd.
Yeah, but some games had that as default. They were all on console, though.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
And that there is a game I'll never buy. I hated TF2. I don't play a FPS if it doesn't have iron sights.

I currently play mostly CoD4, but sometimes I switch over to Red Orchestra 2. If only they made RO2 less...chunky. Things don't feel smooth while playing it.

Also, maybe I'm weird, but I love multiplayer more than singleplayer. If I wanted a story, I'd read a book. I play Multiplayer because I like forming teams with friends and being in an environment where I get to test my wits against other human beings.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
TestECull said:
Darkmantle said:
CoD isn't a dying franchise if it just broke the record number of sales, I don't know what you are on about, but saying it doesn't make it true.
Just because it breaks sales records doesn't mean it's any good. The franchise is a joke, a shell of it's former self that sells solely on the multiplayer...which is increasingly imbalanced and broken with every edition.

The game is not objectively awful
Yeees it is.

And I'd put money on half the problems you have with it are over exaggerated nonsense.
All of the problems I have with it are because it's absolute tripe in DVD form. There's nothing good about the game. The multiplayer is dull, tired, overdone, imbalanced, laggy and full of hackers, and the single player is so dreadfully awful it makes me think they had two janitors write the plot over a single cleaning day....while still having to clean the office.

Inverted is usually the default option because it was imported from a console version
I've played plenty of console ports so blatant they said to press Y to reload and yet I've NEVER bumped into a shooter that defaulted to the bass ackwards pull-mouse-back-to-look-up controls.
Apparently you don't know what objectively means. The multiplayer being dull is totally subjective and apparently millions of gamers disagree with you. The lag is your problem, upgrade from dial-up, and the single player writing being awful is also subjective.

and also, it is not objectively awful looking, the graphics are high quality and the aesthetic is consistent. Just because you don't like the grey-brown "realistic" aesthetics of CoD, doesn't mean they are objectively bad. That is subjective.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
BaronUberstein said:
And that there is a game I'll never buy. I hated TF2. I don't play a FPS if it doesn't have iron sights.

I currently play mostly CoD4, but sometimes I switch over to Red Orchestra 2. If only they made RO2 less...chunky. Things don't feel smooth while playing it.

Also, maybe I'm weird, but I love multiplayer more than singleplayer. If I wanted a story, I'd read a book. I play Multiplayer because I like forming teams with friends and being in an environment where I get to test my wits against other human beings.
You are so lucky to be the target demographic these days

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
TestECull said:
TK421 said:
TestECull said:
Darkmantle said:
The game is not objectively awful
Yeees it is.
Nooo it isn't. That is a matter of opinion, in every way, shape and form.

Yeeeeeesss it is. There is no redeeming feature of the game. You seem to think there is, but there just sort of isn't. It looks awful as well, something I don't normally mention but think has become relevant.
Actually, for a lot of us, there are redeeming features to the game. Just because there aren't any for you doesn't mean there aren't any for anyone else. Your opinions do not become facts just because you want them to.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Put a bunch of super-human anime characters in the game that can take a shitload of bullets, have a ton of health, move faster than you can aim your gun, and can take a hit from a freaking claymore and come out with just a few scratch marks. And they all speak in grating Japanese cutesy voices. And make it so you have to take turns shooting and being savagely beaten with a giant sword. Oh, and the power of melodrama gives anime characters with depleted hp that are riddled with bullets the ability to stand up and gain super extra powers to pwn you. I'm sure they would just love that and they definitely wouldn't break their console or tv in half out of anger.(or throw it out the window like the dude from the Gamefly commercial if their too weak to break the tv with their hands.)

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
In reality a great way to troll FPS players is to have them play MW2. I mean in that game the knife was mightier than the assault rifle, recoil didn't exist, and shotguns were snipers. That sounds like quite the troll game to me.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
TestECull said:
Nor does it mean you have to defend yours. Or the game itself. I think the game is absolutely terrible in every single way, shape and form you care to name and that's not going to change because you may happen to disagree. That doesn't mean you have to stop liking it either, if you like shit in a box more power to ya'.
Exactly. It's subjectively bad, but not objectively.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
To everyone calling his game TF2.

It's actually Quake.

You're WELCOME.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
You can't just say "No, it would be nothing like Team Fortress 2 because the aesthetics and guns would be totally different!" That's like saying Kingdoms of Amalur is absolutely nothing like Skyrim because they have completely different visual aesthetics and combat systems, completely ignoring the fact that they're both massive open-world RPGs with a heavy emphasis on exploration and a sub-par story.

You also can't just say Team Fortress 2 isn't a "true" FPS, especially without backing your argument. It's a shooter, it's in first-person - By definition alone you are wrong.

Also, this theoretical game of yours would literally only "troll" people who have never played a game that isn't Call of Duty. Because there are plenty of games that do various combinations of all of those points, and have been for years.
I agree with this man.

Although I might add that by trolling, I guess you mean a game which looks exactly like a realistic war shooter which CoD fans have come to love, but plays differently to what they would expect... which could still just be a re skinned tf2 with a deathmatch mode on a large map. I'm not quite sure why you are objecting to the notion that all your 10 points encompass the gameplay of tf2.