How important do you deem spelling and/or grammar?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I think it's quite important, as it helps to define the language. Without it, it'd be pretty much incomprehensible.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
When I'm trying to be serious, or if the situation calls for it, I'm always as grammatically correct as possible, and I try to get my spelling right. If it's over AIM, a text, or a short "Hey, what's up?" Facebook message/wall post, I forgo all grammar-laws for the sake of speed and convenience. And even then, I still spell things right most of the time.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Incredibly important.
Who would you hire?
John Doe, or J0nh D0oo3?

The latter of which probably filled out his application with crayon.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
cball11 said:
I consider it massively important, to the point where I do not directly respond to most posters unless they have written their's perfectly.
Of course YOU would say this XD

BaronXS

Jul 11, 2009
I think it's pretty important. People should write something out in a way that it can be understood without any extra effort trying do decipher retardspeak.

Jun 13, 2009
It isn't the be all and end all of a post. But if you go 'rightin lyk dis' I'm gonna have a problem with you.

On the other side of things, being too uptight with your wording makes you sound pretentious and stuck-up.

I usually end up using totally acceptable, casual grammar.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
cball11 said:
I consider it massively important, to the point where I do not directly respond to most posters unless they have written their's perfectly.
That's right.
Grammar is extremely important, almost as important as the search button

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Aah it depends. In an essay, essential. If you're trying to text someone to let them know their house is burning, might be forgiven to lay off the grammar checking.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I have always struggled with spelling. But I go to the extra effort of proof reading and using spell-check on even the shortest posts. Just because you aren't good at something doesn't mean you shouldn't put in the extra effort to bring yourself up to standard.

On the internet, misspelling is like slurring your words in real life. It just isn't right.

But I am open to neologisms and leet speak plus I am not anal about grammar like bitching about split infinitives. The important thing is your post is legible and easy to understand.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
I see the use of correct grammar as an act of respect towards the person/people I'm talking/writing to/for.

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
I find it so damned important that it makes me angry with people if I see them use, say, the improper their, they're, or there. It annoys the crap out of me.

However I am lenient when it comes to mistakes made on accident, and are obviously on accident. Everyone screws up every now and then.

Although I do NOT for the life of me know how to properly use then and than. I use those pretty interchangeably.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Obtusifolius said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Incredibly important.
Who would you higher?
John Doe, or J0hn D03?
Surely that was deliberate... I can't quite bring myself to believe it was.
It wasn't.
And I'm tired, thats my reasoning.
Know how much sleep I got last night? None.
And I corrected it around 2 seconds after posting, so I have no idea why it delays.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Incredibly important, as you can't communicate without it. Now, it doesn't have to be perfect, but good enough so that someone doesn't have to read it several times to understand what it says.