How important do you deem spelling and/or grammar?

OniSuika

Jul 11, 2009
i h8 ppl hu typ lk dis.

I think it's nice if people take the time to spell and use grammar properly, but as long as it's legible, I'm not entirely bothered.

dis duz nt cont as lgible.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Incredibly important.
Who would you hire?
John Doe, or J0hn D03?
That has totally nothing to do with spelling and grammar..

Anyway eventhough I think spelling and grammar are important, im one of the few sensible people who don't butcher someone for making one spelling mistake. If someone is trying to do his spelling and grammar right I dont mind.
It's an example, albeit a pretty bad one on reflection, but an example nonetheless.

Edit: I touched it up a bit to better suit your liking.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
It's very important. I worked teaching ESL for five years and still edit scientific papers up for publication, so seeing bad grammar and horrible spelling makes me twitch for my red pen.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
I think that comprehensibility is far more important than grammatical and spelling prescriptionism

I am a biallingual speaker of Native English and Japanese. Two very different languages.

Before I lived in Japan, I was very strict about grammar and spelling but after living here I have become aware that 1) There are many different varieties of English, each with its own worth. 2) Even if I work really hard at Japanese I will never be as good as a Japanese native speaker, so how can I expect a non-native speaker to comform to my standards of English. 3) After living here for so long, I forgot how to spell anyway.