How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
Agreed I was in an International American school at the time. Later that evening after the attack. People were condoling the American Teachers. It made no sense to me as far as I knew none of them had family members there.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
RevRaptor said:

You never heard British citizens bitching about IRA attacks years later. They just dealt with it and moved on. What is it about Americans that makes you such whiny cry babies?
I heard a few when I was over there and mentioned it, and got thrown out of a few places for mentioning it. i actually if I think about it, i think one of the drunker bitchers about it gave me a death threat over it. Of course I got dirty looks for never understanding why Britain couldnt just give up a track of land like that since they didnt want to be part of it, but i guess Brits never seemed to think that a country should leave them once they forcibly take over unless it gets a view on the world stage.

besides, if I remember correctly, there was some kinda controsversy over it in britain when deadliest warrior decided to do an episode with them and they didnt even air the show on tv.

Sounds to me like QUITE a few people arent over it yet.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
Eh, no big deal, the number of American dead on that day is less than the number of people killed in Panama in 1989 when the US invaded. The UN condemned that attack as well, and the casualties were almost entirely civilian to boot.

Truth be told, 9/11 didn't involve mass graves with bodies found hands bound and shot in the back of the head by Al Qaeda like Panama experienced at the hands of US forces, so, in that sense, 9/11 isn't as bad.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Here in Australia it is remembered each year, why wouldn't we, it was a horrifying event in which hundreds of innocents lost their lives and it's effects are still visible to this day.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I'm in Australia and I was 9 (nearly 10) when I heard about it and I remember exactly where I was, and most of that day, even though I was too young fully understand the impact. Was the first time I learned the word "terrorist" though.

Doesn't really affect us Australian's much though (unless we lost someone in the attacks), since it did happen in the other half of the world. Doesn't mean we're heartless about it though.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Pluvia said:

Actually N.Ireland wants to be part of the UK. The IRA are terrorists from the Republic of Ireland trying to force their views on N.Ireland. That's why you got dirty looks, because you had your facts wrong.
Perhaps the government in charge but (at the time, I should add that stipulation) not everyone.

Just as an example canada didnt seem to care for some of the shenanigans that its former governmental leader was doing (Pretty sure thats what the whole canada on the US list of piracy article was about). though admittedly they didnt take it to that extreme.

The US had its successionary part of the Confederate states and if you listen to the right (read retarded) people, theres going to be another split over either conservatism or class. And there always seems to be mutterings in Britain about what one party is doing to screw over the other and how they wont take it anymore.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
It is not a question of numbers dead. Numbers are not important, otherwise no one would give a damn about the Norway killings. After all, isn't the deaths by cancer even more numerous?

The reason it's still important now is because it was traumatizing. It was traumatizing the same way WWII was to Europe, just the same as it was traumatizing how Little Boy and Fat Man flattened Japanese cities (as opposed to the firebombs over Tokyo). Do Europeans "get over" WWII and Fascism and the Japanese "get over" getting nuked? Apparently they still care, and for good reason, even if they were not personally affected. It is not about number, but about effect. If you consider yourself an American, and affiliate yourself with the US, how can you NOT be affected when symbols of your country are destroyed?

juraigamer

Sep 3, 2008
I find it disgraceful, being an American, that Americans lord this over to such an extent.

Whatever, keep fear alive.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Right now, I view 9/11 as two months before skyrim comes out. I never really cared about anniversaries, and the real damage that 9/11 did was in the wars that it started.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
How could I not? My two favorite tv channels (Discovery and National Geographic Channel) are doing nothing but air documentaries about 9/11. I get that it was a big deal, but there is nothing worse than being subjected to all this obsession.

CounterReproductive

Apr 9, 2010
Speaking from a UK perspective, Yes it is the most damaging terrorist attack ever commited and will probably stay that way right up until they let off a nuke. 3000+ lives lost, billions of dollars in damage, countless more deaths to come in the years to follow due to all the asbestos dust inhaled by most of downtown Manhattan. Horrible thing to see and ten years ago it was almost unbelievable to be sat watching as the second plane flew into the building.

Of course being from the UK (which is a funny thing all by itself but I shall not digress from the main topic,When we here in the mainland UK and Northern Ireland were suffering under the threat of IRA and PIRA terrorism, a large number of Americans supported the cause of the catholic Irish and sent money and support even when the terrorists were killing and maiming innocent civilians in England and Northern Ireland.

Ten years ago the USA got a massive smack in the mouth, and as horrible as this may sound you deserved it. No-one deserves to die but you needed to understand that you are not invincible , you are not almighty and you do need to play nice in the sandpit.

My thoughts today are with those families who lost their loved ones ten years ago. The rest of you can stop acting like it personally traumatised you and get on with your lives.d

baconbaby299

May 7, 2011
I'm British but when it happened I didn't understand enough, my mum and dad were anti-American and I remember them say "there were some towers over there, gone now, toodloo" or something like that.

And I don't personally mind Americans go on about it. Mostly because I remember every single advertisement on the 10th anniversary of Diana's death being about her. At least 9/11 had an impact on the economy to care about.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
The recent massacre in Norway hit me harder... It was kids my age, it was done without provocation of any kind. . . To send a message to, not the west. . . Not the christians, but a certain political group. Not by targeting an embassy. But by attacking a summer-camp.

Even the Scandinavian Nazi's (they exist). . Took distance to the shootings. I mean, when the Nazi's thinks his too evil, he should be in Cobra or something.

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
well there are documentarys running on every tv channel here and newspapers have big headlines about it stil... personally I dont really care about it that much considering how many innocent civilians have died becose of it in afganistan

Sniperyeti

Mar 28, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
I'm also from NZ, just going to provide an alternate view because this seems a bit... desensitised.

I'd say among the people I know it's viewed as one of those big disasters, there's lots of sympathy to those involved and the servicemen who died trying to save those people. However, we don't get any of that associated anger towards Muslims etc, its more seen as a tragedy than a grievance.

What gets on my nerves is how while certainly it was a terrible event, it keeps getting brought up in inappropriate places. Yes, it was a big thing. Fucking 3000 people lost their lives and more may be dying from the dust, but when it gets brought up on gaming forums or tv shows or whatever it gets harder to sympathise in such innappropriate circumstances. Its like if we spent this whole Rugby world cup demonising the French for the Rainbow Warrior (look it up).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that it's the most dramatic event, and the resulting change change, to Western culture from the 2000's. I myself have, well, kinda moved on.
Andrew Pate said:
No-one deserves to die but you needed to understand that you are not invincible , you are not almighty and you do need to play nice in the sandpit.
Well that worked wonderful then didn't it? Sparking those two big-ass and immensely costly wars, almost bankrupting the US government. That and the fact that after 9/11, it was McCarthyism all over again.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
well here where i live in australia. We note the day and its mentioned in the news, but we dont have any services or feel too bothered about it.

Overlord93

Jul 12, 2011
Speaking as a survivor of Operation Noble Anvil... Those bastards deserved it.
I know it was "Nato" operation, but US planes were dropping those bombs, so i stand by my opinion that bastards deserved it.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
The "war on terror" hurt America 10 times more than terrorism ever will
^ This.

Among the people I know in Ireland the initial reaction was very sympathetic. We even had an official day of mourning. However cynicism started to build up when we realized how much the news coverage internationally was emphasising American problems over stuff going on in other places. It felt like the US was getting preferential treatment. And it's true that events occurring in the USA are more likely to have international consequences than those in, say, a third world country, but it felt like we were expected to be more emotionally invested just because it was Americans who were suffering. In particular I think the frequently-repeated "this day will change the world" really bothered some people, in the same way that Americans describing their country as the "leader of the free world" does.

However, that was a relatively minor annoyance. Most people here would still have been sympathetic to the country and to Americans in general. That went down the drains the second the attack on Afghanistan started, and it really went down the drains when the war in Iraq began. Now the feeling is that America has caused far more suffering and destruction than it had to endure, and that the real tragedy is the civilians killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, not 9/11.

Personally I don't quite go that far. Countries are made up of individuals, and it's not like the individuals killed in 9/11 are responsible for America's foreign policy. But at the same time, it's hard to sympathize with Americans talking about what a tragedy that day was when many of them enthusiastically supported wars that have killed thousands of times more people.