How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It's a tragedy.
But it really isn't that much different from any other tragedy.
And besides, US bombings have killed more civilians than the WTC bombing/crash.
The US also nuked Japan, which is a far worse act of terror by a metric fuckton.
Can't really bring myself to care that much about 9/11.

spacewalker

Sep 13, 2010
worse things have happened since then, in other places.
i wonder how the apparent genocide in Sudan turned out.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Danik93 said:
DanielBrown said:
The media loves it, but here in Sweden no one has ever cared at all. Why should we?
I'm pretty sure 9/11 was the starting point for my deep hatred for American patriotism.
Anna Lindh got assassinated on 9/11 so that's one reason for us swedes to care.
I fail to see any connection. What's your point?
She wasn't assassinated either. She was attacked September 10th(2003) and died of the wounds the day after.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
It was definitely important to the world. As an Australian, I still felt bothered and concerned by the attacks. It wasn't just the human side of it either; it marked an enormous cultural and political shift for the western world. Innocent people were killed, and landmarks were destroyed in one of the most iconically western cities in the world. People who don't understand the significance were probably too young to really remember living in a time before 9/11.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
As harsh as this might sound, there have been worse tragedies, there are worse tragedies happening now, and there will be even worse tragedies in the future, and I can't bring myself to care more for those 3000 civilians than for the tens of thousands dead in the Libya troubles, or the famine in Africa, or even the 7/7 bombings.

I feel for those who lost people, but I just don't care about 11/9. It may be a big deal in America, but acting like it was unprovoked, or out of the blue, or for no reason, is ridiculous. 3000 dead civilians is nothing compared to the damaged ego of a superpower.

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Your reply was pretty well meaning. I don't have a problem with the date being remembered. I just think its a bit grisly how yanks react to September 11th like Macbeth to Banquo's ghost. Everyone else doesn't understand why they're screaming and describing the horror.

The only bit of your post that baked my noodle was this one...

Cyrax987 said:
It was a major attack, it wasn't a dozen people like 24 it was over 3000 people.
I mean, I don't know if this was a reference to a specific event or the TV show "24",which is kinda a tacky comparison if it was or if the number of dead people equals a number of years to be mournful? Clearing up would help.

And yes Daft Punk does kick ass.

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
I remember a radio show was explaining why the Japanese(it may have been Chinese) were selling water bottles or trying to make a profit at Ground Zero when other people were giving them away for free. Patrice O'Neal, the guest they had in, said something along the lines of "You have to understand...to them, 9/11 was like a regular Tuesday".

Other countries likely deal with more deadly disasters(natural or otherwise) on a yearly basis than we do in decades. Granted it was an attack, but I can see how other countries may struggle to still feel empathy by now.

Tidenburg

Oct 21, 2008
I feel it's a bit disrespectful that America's crappy media builds such a frenzy up over it. But I'm not surprised in the slightest.

11/9 was horrible, and only now I'm older can I really contemplate how horrific it must have been to be there that day, let alone in one of the towers.

So, I can't imagine how painful it must be for actual members of those who died to have it constantly brought up each year by those who weren't really affected, just for something to fill air time with.

Hold a ceremony and move on.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I don't care even slightly.

Worse things have happened. I do get annoyed by how frequetly I still see it on the internet.

breadsammich

May 5, 2011
Cheshire the Cat said:
Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.
It's one of those things we should never forget, but shouldn't dwell on. In 10 more years, are we going to still have an anniversary of 9/11? In 20 years? 30? Probably not, but then again, I never expected us to still make such a fuss about it for this long.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hamish Durie said:
well just looking at the numbers 2.500 people died and some bulidings went boom
black friday (a nation wide forest fire In queensland) killed roughly 3.000 along with nation wide property damage
Er...the Black Friday bushfires in Victoria that killed 71 people, you mean? You can't really get nation wide bushfires in Australia, because it's an entire continent. You really, really can't get nation wide bushfires in Queensland, because it's only a small part of the nation.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Most people I know, at least here in the UK, have the opinion of "It was bad, but it was 10 years ago, and not in our country", so no, I don't think I know anyone that actually cares about it to the extent of making a point to remember it, just another day for most.

Still, I can understand if you were affected by it, or know people that were, you would probably want to show your respect. I find it very bizarre though that there is an underlying tone, that we are meant to, do Americans care or even know when the London bombings were? Probably not, and I don't expect them too.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
Man, maybe I'm just an overemotional bimbo, but I always feel awful whenever 9/11 is brought up. (I'm American obviously)

Not because I'm GRR AMERICA SOMEONE FUCKED WITH US but because I think of all the civilians who went to work that day not knowing that it was going to be their last, that they're gonna leave behind a lot of parentless kids. And then I think of stuff like United 93 and I feel even worse.

So maybe it didn't happen to me, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't feel respect or sympathy for those who were affected. I hate seeing sad people, it always makes me sad too. :(

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I am of the opinion that it has become too political. I turned on the evening news to see world leaders give different addresses with the news reader referring to 9/11 as 'The day the world changed'. I scoffed at this.

I know Americans are a patriotic lot, but I feel there is too much emphasis on this one (albeit tragic) day.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
Pretty much the same here in Sweden. And this is also just from people I've spoken to.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
I think it was a very terrible thing, but please, to still broadcast a program about it on every possible channel 2 days before the day that it's actual 10 years(!) anniversary is, in a country that's not even the USA? That's a bit to much of a eehm bad thing.

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
Over here in the UK its bad sure, but seeing as terrorist attacks over here are nothing new. The general consensus is, shut up about it already. It happened, you've made a mountain out of a mole hill and those responsible are gone.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
America killed ten times as many innocent in retaliation. Coming from a fairly pacifist nation, yes, the attack was horrible, but the reason it's so popular is because it scarred their idea of being invincible. A country whose main attribute is a high horse could never stand to it.

No offence to the smart Americans. When you look outside the box, that's how it is.