How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
LawlessSquirrel said:
itchcrotch said:
i won't speak for all of australia, but in the capital at least, it seems the general feeling is "get the hell over it!"
yes, it was a terrible thing, may have shaped western political history for quite a while (though i would argue that that part is to be blamed on the bush admin more than anyone else) but it did not "reshape the world" what's her face on the tv dedication's dad was not a "hero" just because he died in the attack. other things have happened in the last 10 years, i'm not saying people should not be saddened or angered by it anymore, i'm saying that should stop dwelling on it like it's the worst thing that ever happened, cuz it isn't.
and really, it's not the event that this is all about, outside the US nobody even hard anything about it the last 9 aniversaries, but now that it's a decade ago, oooooo! let's have a big song and dance!

...is the general feeling around these parts.
Going to agree with this. Also Australian, and that's also how it's generally viewed around here. It was a tragic loss of life, but it's not as 'world changing' or even as disastrous as it's proclaimed.

It was a horrible thing that happened. Not the worst by a long shot, but it was bad. That's about it though...the long-winded hysteria about it just seems to tire people around here to the point where mention of the 10 year anniversary is greeted by frustrated groans.
The same here... Im over hearing it, when it came on TV, my family just changed the chanel.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
I've always heard it called 9/11... I think that's mostly in reference to 911 being the emergency response number around here, regardless of how we normally write the date.

I do remember that day though, 10 years already... That's... something.

I was in grade 6, when the teacher interrupted the class to roll in a television. She turned it on and we watched the towers burn. It was horrific. I just remember for the rest of that day and probably the week anytime a plane flew over the school we all ran to the window and sort of panicked. Not that we were in danger living in Canada, and considering they were only by-planes... but still, we were terrified.

Kodachi

Jun 6, 2011
Lilani said:
Kodachi said:
Canada... on a personal level, we're respectful and sympathetic as we often have relatives that were directly affected but in the grand scheme of things, we really don't care/observe anything. It's your thing and we respect your history but it had nothing to do with us.
Yeah, but that's Canada. If you guys weren't respectful and sympathetic, we'd think something was wrong with you ;-P
The facade is working my Canadian brethren. Soon the sneak attack will go off without a hitch!

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
BanicRhys said:
As an American, I can appreciate that as a whole other level of hilarious.

OT: I know it's not really a question for me, but I was a little ashamed of myself today as I took my Dad to the airport and got a little bit worried for a second.

I was in third grade, and I vaguely remember it only being me and two other kids as our class of about thirty was pretty much pulled out of school. I appreciate it to this day that my Mom didn't over react and come get me like everyone else did, because I honestly was too young at the time to really care.

I got a little bit more worried about the planes hitting pentagon in DC, seeing as my Dad was working in the building that was literally across the street from it (Could see the damage from his office).

It was strange. And me being the terrible ADD child I was really only got upset because the Simpsons was off for two weeks.

I appreciate it more nowadays,In the same way I feel sad about Oslo, the London bombings, and every other tragedy that happens.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
scorptatious said:
Your father is a scumbag. Through and through.

I don't care if I get suspended or banned for saying that. The complete disregard for human life that was in that statement just sickens me.
It was a joke.

OT: Nobody here seems to care apart from the media but barely anyone takes news channels seriously nowadays.
Well it was a very bad and poorly executed joke.

It just sickens me how people on here think it's okay to talk shit about America and what it does on this day. I don't expect you guys to feel bad for us. But I do expect some goddamn respect for the people who died on this day. In fact on any day in which a terrible tragedy occurs, whether or not it happens to be in America.

pewpewz

May 29, 2008
Fudd said:
I am sorry for your friend's loss, and yours. At the same time I wonder if Americans are even capable of understanding and apologizing for the losses their county has caused to others. How many even know? Do any even remember the hundreds of thousands dead by your influence in Indonesia, in the Congo, in Chile? Are these things even taught in schools?

I suppose the frustration is this. You have a voice for your loss. You have the capacity to mourn it on a global scale and you do. Yet you do not remember the loss you have caused, and indeed there are few places outside the internet where these losses can even be acknowledged or remembered. You have your outlet. Let the world that lacks access to that outlet use the one it has for there are many losses to be remembered on this day. It is not yours alone.
HEAR FUCKIN' HEAR! It's not the fact that no one cares, it's the fact we're being FORCED to care about it every god damn year on the news when, to be honest, there's much bigger fish to fry. Who here is gonna take a moment to remember the earthquake in Haiti? Who even remembers the tsunami back in 2004? Many lives are lost each year to vicious terrorist attacks, natural disasters and war. The whole world will forever mourn these sadnesses as they come and lend a shoulder to cry on so to speak - but America is acting like a manic depressive and there comes a time where you have to say "leave the past in the past, learn from these tragedies and let it make you stronger".

scorptatious said:
It just sickens me how people on here think it's okay to talk shit about America and what it does on this day. I don't expect you guys to feel bad for us. But I do expect some goddamn respect for the people who died on this day. In fact on any day in which a terrible tragedy occurs, whether or not it happens to be in America.
Umm... I expect some goddamn respect for the people who died in the bombings in London then.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
pewpewz said:
scorptatious said:
Umm... I expect some goddamn respect for the people who died in the bombings in London then.
Goddamn respect given. As I've already stated, I expect respect for anyone who has died on any day when a terrible tragedy occurs.

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
As far as dying goes, The people who lost their lives in 9/11 hit the Grim Reaper jackpot.

Before anyone rages hear me out. everyone who died in 9/11: has their names read every year, have their names carved into ground zero, and all their families were given a large sum of money.

Death is death and it sucks that all those people died, but at least they died while being apart of the biggest attack on America since Pearl Harbor instead of being run over by some fucking drunk driver.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Call me insane, but I still belive that you're just being played around by corporations and politics who let that attack happen for their own benefits. It takes more than luck to send 4 unarmed and blind hobbits into Mordor and somehow having 3 them fall into mount doom.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
It was a tragedy, yes but...well if I took time out to mourn every day of the year in which hundreds of people were killed at some point in history I don't think I'd have any free days. 9/11 was bad, but there've been worse things.
The only reason you hear about it so much is because it's America and alot of media comes out of America.
For the most part, I presume people outside of the US don't take much note to it unless they're heavily affected by the media or if they simply just like America.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I will just say this.

I didn't loose anyone in the tragedy, but I know people who did. Maybe it's because I live in the US, but I will always be respectful to those people that did. To everyone else, I'm not asking you to understand, to mourn, or even to care, but what I'm asking you is to show some respect for people that did and still mourn for their lose.

I've seen some comments that implied the US deserved it, but I ask you, did the people that lost their loved ones deserve to loose them just because of the country they live in? I can't accept that.

I don't make a big deal out of 9/11, I don't and I'm tired of the 'my country tis of thee' attitude that my country shows when some anniversary comes around, but that doesn't mean I wont be respectful when it does.

I agree though, mourn in your own way and move on, and don't make a spectacle of the thing, but don't be callous when someone can't.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
It seems theres a bit overlooked here, if I may be so bold. I've read a lot of posts saying that America won't get over September 11th and how the United States essentially forces others to feel bad for them. You shouldn't generalize all the citizens of a country from the media and what their government poses as. As an American, I believe I can say this. Granted, there are (unfortunatly) a lot of people who won't let go and will probably blind themselves to the rest of the world in a sense of self pity. However, theres a lot more, like myself, who believes it's time to stop mourning and properly lay this part of history to rest now that a decade has passed.
I want to make very clear that I do have a profound respect for the undeservingly departed on September 11th and for every other tradgey that has befalled upon us. But I digress. In America we also hate the media's over-inflation and mis-interpretation of events. The best example? See "Fox News" or as a good friend of mine calls them, Faux News. I would not doubt there is worse out there, but rarely is there a time they don't completely bomb their subjects leaving you frustrated as hell.

To recap, the citizens, their government, and the media are all seperate, and don't necessarily have views(which is ironic considering the government and media are supposed to represent the views of the citizens). Many Americans don't want to linger in self-pity when they know theres more urgent things to worry about. We mourned, we will rebuild, we will move on.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
RevRaptor said:
Well would you look at that my post about American's whining like babies got a warning, Just proves my point really. I bet the mod that did that was American. Jeez can't even take a general criticism about you country.

Apparently you are not allowed to say anything bad about America on this site. So much for freedom of speech.
Well in my opinion as an American, you can say what you want about America. Someone would have to be pretty stupid to believe everyone had to think the same. However, it's another thing entirely to speak ill of the departed. (yeah, I know that isn't the exact subject, but I thought I should clear up something)

dlawnro

Jul 2, 2010
The way I see it, there's a certain hierarchy to the response to a tragedy, at least here in the US. The severity of the catastrophe is part of it, as is where in the world it happened, and whether it was of human doing or an "act of god", as it were. 9/11 resulted in a fairly severe loss of life, happened within our borders, and was an act of aggression against civilians. As a combination of being on the higher end of several spectra, it had a profound effect on American mentalities.
Through the years, I have seen strong responses to tragedies that have occurred all over the world through American eyes, and they have been similar, though not necessarily held onto to the same extent. Japan, Indonesia, Haiti...Americans have felt emotional responses to many tragedies since then, but tragedies in your own country are always going to be seen in a different light. Even Katrina, though effecting many Americans in horrible ways, was an act of nature. And if acts of nature are scary, acts of man are terrifying.
To be frank, 9/11 scared the shit out of Americans. There was no way of knowing if there was going to be another attack. People felt unsafe in their own homes. In a lot of ways, it shook us. It wasn't like Oklahoma city where it was just one guy...it was a network of people that were willing to go to extreme measure to make sure civilians dies. It was a network we knew fuck all about and I feel like even now we don't know that much more.
This is all just coming from the eyes of someone who was 8 when it happened. I strongly believe that the events of that single day shaped the events of the majority of my life in ways I can't even imagine. For a lot of Americans, it was like the first time one of your family members dies, or the first time you lose a pet; the first time your house is burglarized or the first time you're mugged or the first time you realize your parents aren't invincible. It's that day that changes how you look at the world, that makes you question your safety and the way you look at the world. It was a profoundly changing day.
But for a lot of people it was also like the first time you witness someone do something nice to a stranger for no reason, or seeing someone stand up to a bully for someone they don't even particularly like. It was a day that made you see that there were good people out there too. And I think, more than anything, it was that twisted, perverse blend of tragedy and heroism that made it stick so strongly into our minds. It was a day that made a lot of people stop and think, even if they didn't know a single person who lost their life. I'm not saying by any means it was the worst thing that's happened ever, but for a lot of people it was kind of a perfect storm. I guess that's why I don't really begrudge people their reactions to it even now. That being said, there's a special circle in hell for anyone who has ever used it to further their own interests.
Wow, I'm way into TL;DR territory and I doubt a single person will read this but it was good to think this all out and write it down anyway. Very therapeutic and all that.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
As an American who regularly reads BBC's world news, I have always found it a bit odd that there's so much coverage of 9/11 at least on the BBC's site. Yes, before someone says it, I'm not looking at the "North America" tab.

I absolutely think it should still be given its gravitas at least here in the states. It's still relatively recent in people's memories. People who lost family and friends that day are still alive in great numbers. It was recent enough that we still, especially on the tenth anniversary, can feel the reverberations on an emotional level. It was the signal that our country, which has historically been completely safe from attack, is no longer safe. It was a terrifying thought. To the majority of people, America had been attacked without legitimate provocation. It completely disrupted the lives of the entire country.

This isn't to say the rest of the world should really give a damn, though. It didn't cause as much upset in Brazil or Australia or Japan (as far as I am aware) as it did here in the states. Comparatively few foreign nationals, to my knowledge, died that day. It's an American tragedy, and if other countries (or rather, people in other countries) want to take some time out to pay respects or have a moment of silence or whatever that's great, but I don't expect them to do so for us any moreso than we would do for Norway in future years.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
"They attacked us!" is disgusting?
I don't remember our CHILDREN or civilians ever attacking the terrorists. Your insensitivity towards the death of innocent people disgusts me.

"Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you." Really? They attacked our fucking country! I'm pretty sure that concerns all Americans. If some crazy motherfuckers started flying planes into the huts on your little islands I think you'd find yourself a little concerned.