How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Yopaz said:
Kathinka said:
and above all, the japanese don't get high and mighty and pretend that they did nothing to provoke this. (not saying they deserved to be bombed. you get what i mean)
So the fact that civilians were killed, more died from cancer and radiation damage and several for the next 100000 years will have increased birth defects is not a tragedy because of Pearl Harbor?

It's still a tragedy even though Americans don't care. The fact that there have been killed more than 20 times more civlians in the Iraq war than died in the September 11 attacks is a tragedy and honestly, I think that takes away their right to mope about it 10 years later.
nonono, you misunderstand, i was agreeing!
the japanese are not crying: "ohhh, we were so innocent! the nuclear bombings were completely unprovoked!"
americans keep acting like they did nothing even remotly bad to anyone in the world, that's what i meant.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
It's mixed here in England. Not sure which the majority is, but some of us are sympathetic about it and do the minute silences and all that, the rest of us are tired of hearing about it. I'm the latter. Unless 9/11 has affected them personally, people have no reason to still be as upset about it as they claim to be.
What happened was bad and all, and it's natural to feel sympathy for the people affected by it, but you can't feel genuinely sad about it if it didn't affect you. Sympathy and sadness are two different things.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
unabomberman said:
Viva Salvador Allende and fuck Pinochet. That's all I have to say.
+1

In 9-11, I quoted Robert Fisk?s conclusion that the ?horrendous crime? of 9/11 was committed with ?wickedness and awesome cruelty?, an accurate judgment. It is useful to bear in mind that the crimes could have been even worse. Suppose, for example, that the attack had gone as far as bombing the White House, killing the president, imposing a brutal military dictatorship that killed thousands and tortured tens of thousands while establishing an international terror centre that helped impose similar torture-and-terror states elsewhere and carried out an international assassination campaign; and as an extra fillip, brought in a team of economists - call them ?the Kandahar boys? - who quickly drove the economy into one of the worst depressions in its history. That, plainly, would have been a lot worse than 9/11.
-Chomsky

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
While I can't speak for the whole of Britain I know that I and many of my friends don't particularly care about the September 11th attacks. We have suffered terrorist attacks in the past; from the IRA, the 7/7 bombings, the Glasgow Airport attack but we just keep moving on so I don't get why many Americans get hung up on one incident (unless you actually lost a loved one, in which case that's fine.)

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
JasonKaotic said:
It's mixed here in England. Not sure which the majority is, but some of us are sympathetic about it and do the minute silences and all that, the rest of us are tired of hearing about it. I'm the latter. Unless 9/11 has affected them personally, people have no reason to still be as upset about it as they claim to be.
What happened was bad and all, and it's natural to feel sympathy for the people affected by it, but you can't feel genuinely sad about it if it didn't affect you. Sympathy and sadness are two different things.
The saddest thing about it though is that some people expect everyone to be sad about it when most people obviously aren't, as it didn't affect them. For example, all of the the TV coverage it gets here in the UK.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Cheshire the Cat said:
Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.
I am an American citizen, and that's been my stance. I mean, yeah, it's tragic, but tragic things happen, and then life goes on. If you don't let it, then your enemies have won.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
What happened on the 9th of November?
I jest. I saw the second plane hit the other tower on television after I had just got back from school and I remain as apathetic now as I was back then. Sure I was fired up that another extremist had put his cause before innocent lives but I don't know these people! If you weren't connected to it you can only really empathize with those people who were when you meet them other than that stop choking up because it's not that bad when compared to other things to name one you're fond of, the holocaust, to name two you'd rather there were no record of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. There were bombings in London, do you fuckers know the date without goggling it? Neither do I because there are worse things so shut the fuck up about your one and only tragedy it does not give you the right as a nation to feel bad for yourselves when there are Iraqi girls being raped by your servicemen, and innocent civilians being brutalized. Ask Muhammad the legless child who watched his family die because Americans came to 'free' them what he thinks of 9/11.
Sorry got off message there for a bit I'm not denying that it was a bad thing, it's just not that important in the grand scheme of things there are other disasters I'd rather overt than that one given the choice. There's my view, stop crying about it unless you're also crying about every other loss of life in the world ever in which case don't look into the Permian Period you'll flood your house with tears.

Haratu

Sep 6, 2010
I went to bed early and then had a squash game in the morning. Got annoyed because my friends were delaying the game looking at the paper. They finally started playing when I pointed out that they didn't care when thousands of Africans were dying in wars and yet did care now so were being led around a lot. The paper could wait.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
TheAmokz said:
quoting my father "who cares about couple skyscrapers and few thousand Americans? They have plenty of both."

In other words, nobody really cares. Except press.
Your father is a scumbag. Through and through.

I don't care if I get suspended or banned for saying that. The complete disregard for human life that was in that statement just sickens me.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
scorptatious said:

I don't care if I get suspended or banned for saying that. The complete disregard for human life that was in that statement just sickens me.
It was a joke.

OT: Nobody here seems to care apart from the media but barely anyone takes news channels seriously nowadays.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
scorptatious said:

It was a joke.

OT: Nobody here seems to care apart from the media but barely anyone takes news channels seriously nowadays.
Doesn't matter if it was a joke or not, that kind of shit isn't meant or for this thread on this day.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Well...this is a horrible idea for a thread. That's all I gotta say.

Anyhow for me, it's done. It's been ten years and we haven't really ever got the bad guys. We won't ever get the bad guys. So we just need to get over that. What we need to focus on is how to not let this tragedy haunt us as a nation for a million years to come. Oh yeah and the first responders need their money. Jesus christ people, most of them have cancer and are dying. Just give them the damn money and stop turning it into a fucking political issue.

Anyhow, I mourn what happened that day--not just the loss of American lives, but the horrible effects that it brought upon the world, namely Bush getting elected twice. That being said, I am not going to make a big deal out of it. This morning I woke up, walked back to my dorm. Waited for my hangover to go away. Played some saints row. Did some homework. Went back to my girlfriends house to eat dinner. Came back and got on the Escapist instead of doing homework. No celebrations or memorials services for me thank you very much.

Oh yeah and I am American if that is not obvious.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Brian Hendershot said:
Well...this is a horrible idea for a thread. That's all I gotta say.
This, also, as an American I feel for my country and the loss of life we suffered that day. Today is a day for American's to remember, it has affected the rest of the world, but, it has changed us the most.

I'll leave this here for those of us who still feel even though some claim they don't.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
As an American I got over it by about 4pm same day. Mainly because I was in middle school and EVERYONE around me thought they were gonna die for 8 hours.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
Aizsaule said:
The "war on terror" hurt America 10 times more than terrorism ever will
As an American myself, I share your sentiment towards the 9/11 attacks. It was a horrible thing that happened, but the "War on Terror" reaction that the U.S. had was handled very poorly.

At first, I viewed the War on Terror as a righteous act of justice against attackers, but after a flurry of missteps and questionable decisions (i.e.: the decision to invade Iraq, the Patriot Act, the anti-Islam sentiment that has emerged throughout America, the torture tactics at Abu Ghraib) has shown me that it's become more about zealotry and bloodlust than an actual fervor for justice.

I firmly believe that the way we've treated the international community (especially the Middle Eastern nations and the Islamic community) in the wake of the 9/11 attacks is despicable. How can individuals in the Middle East *not* hate America and become terrorists after we've treated them like this? With how we've alienated them, we've probably inspired more terrorists than we've killed.

TLDR: It's downright depressing that we've tarnished the memories of innocent lives by mishandling the War on Terror that is waged in their name.

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
I haven't heard anything about 9/11 (I guess that would be 11/9 in most countries) in the past week except from the internet. So it's not significant at all in New Zealand.

andrat

Jan 14, 2009
Canada.
Most people I know are indifferent to it, but there's the occasional person that makes a big deal over the whole thing.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
It's just another disaster like Hurricane Katrina, except it's got the equivalent of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
I feel for the innocents who died, but my anger is with the perpetrators of the Gulf Wars and the "War of terror." It was not unprovoked. The American government (whom I can say with extreme prejudice are aggressors and incompetents) played with fire, and the people suffered as a result, but the government prefer to think of it as though the September 11th attacks came out of the blue, but you fuck with another country so you can be in excess of plastic and gasoline for the next 20 years with no concern whatsoever for the people of said country, who have the same rights as any American. No, the government did not commit the attacks, but they are every bit as responsible for them as the terrorists.