How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Jan 23, 2010
Well personally I celebrate the 11th September. Cake and party and everything.

Because it's my birthday.

Sweden.
Yes we do think it is horrible that so many died. But come on it has been 10 years now. Thousands die every day in every country in starvation and agony. It was a great sign that anything can happen on your home turf. But it really starts to come off as a "They hit us dey are de bad guyz". I'm sorry.

Look up the Rwandan Genocide. That faded into oblivion damn fast, at least over here. You have been going for 10 years. Try to stop making my birthday into a "Mourn for 'Merica" day. :(

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Down in Cyprus no one cares because America kind of helped cause a massive uprising against the Makarios government with the use of the Junta in Greece and CIA. This pretty much ended up with a load of ultranationalists going around killing Turkish Cypriots and vice versa to the point that when the uprising took place and overthrew our government it led to Turkey having to intervene in Cyprus and therefore causing a small scale war which Cyprus got roflstomped in and has led to the creation of an illegal state in north Cyprus and years of tension to this day since 1974.

On my British side no I don't really care because the above post sets out my general sentiment and feelings towards the US because of the pointless wars we have been dragged into and the fact that we joined them we got attacked ourselves in the 7/7 bombings in London and an attempted bombing in Scotland.

(which was almost comic by how bad it was. It was essentially a bunch of guys planning to ram a van into an airport with a bunch of explosives and setting them off. They tried crashing through the glass at the front with their van and didn't get through and the engine caught alight I think which resulted in the driver of the car being set alight as well and he ran out to put himself out and a nearby Scotsman just ran up to him and hit him in the face several times knocking him out. I think thats what happened anyway)

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
It was a terrible thing. I imagine people will still care for some time to come if you live in the USA. For example the Black and Tans were monsters and I know people who hate all British people because of them. Also the troubles wasn't just the IRA and while they did really bad things so did the UDA and UVF. The worst attack of the troubles was the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I can appreciate its impact on world events but on a personal level I couldnt care less.

More than 50,000 Libyans have been killed in NATO bombings in the last 6 weeks, Hundreds of Somalians are dying everyday in the famines? Why should I care about 3000 Americans who died 10 years ago when I dont have the energy to care about all the people dying today?

If you lost family or friends then I feel for you but I dont lose any sleep over it

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
tthor said:
One thing I'd like to note, a lot of people seem to be saying that 'ya, people died, move on.' but I think thats missing the point. What made 9-11 such a big deal was not simply that people died, but the fact that an attack was made on a modern first-world country, resulting in thousands of deaths. It was a big reminder for many people that war and major attacks like this can happen at home, and not just in some distant 3rd-world country or something.
I take you back to my first post.

The IRA had been killing British citizens in terror attacks for many years while America supported them.

So you will have to forgive a lot of Brits that think "now you know how we feel".

A lot of people here are maybe too young to remember the bombings all over Britain resulting in death.

See it's a case of swings and roundabouts. Bad things happen in many countries and people don't seem to give a fuck but when it happened to America it was somehow different. Every year we get reminded and Americans bring it up constantly.

It's not that people don't care it happened it's that people cared THEN, 10 years later the world has moved on.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Aprilgold said:
There has been a load of provocation though. The whole get out of the middle east thing for start which is the reason why they did it and by that I mean the way that America has funded and supported proxy wars against Russia with the Middle East being their back drop I.E. Israel.

Not only did Britain break its land lease agreement by giving the British bases to the Jewish people instead of the Palistinians under American pressure and its anti-colonialist habits. The Middle east then declared war on Israel which was right IMO since it was their land to begin with Israel was supported by the West and defended itself which again was also right since they hadn't really provoked the attack its just that they had their country set up in the wrong place. However what they did after was pure stupidity and proceeded to take and hold land and force unfair peace treaties with America's help and this continued on happening right until Palastine is now reduced to West Bank and Gaza Strip which are now the two most poor over populated areas of land on earth and are kept under regular sanctions for aid and relief by the Israelis.

Also the only war that Israel got into that America didn't originally know of was the Suez canal war and when America found out about it they did not approve and ordered an immediate withdrawal sort of showing that Israel was more of being used as a tool to place pressure on the Russians and Middle East then actually wanting to give them their own land which they could have done perfectly fine in the US or elsewhere since we have enough land its just that we wanted to put them in the most politically volatile area on earth for some reason.

Rayken15

Jan 10, 2011
Here in Britain, me and most people I know didn't give a flying duck. That hasn't changed in these 10 years.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
hawkeye52 said:
Aprilgold said:
There has been a load of provocation though. The whole get out of the middle east thing for start which is the reason why they did it and by that I mean the way that America has funded and supported proxy wars against Russia with the Middle East being their back drop I.E. Israel.

Not only did Britain break its land lease agreement by giving the British bases to the Jewish people instead of the Palistinians under American pressure and its anti-colonialist habits. The Middle east then declared war on Israel which was right IMO since it was their land to begin with Israel was supported by the West and defended itself which again was also right since they hadn't really provoked the attack its just that they had their country set up in the wrong place. However what they did after was pure stupidity and proceeded to take and hold land and force unfair peace treaties with America's help and this continued on happening right until Palastine is now reduced to West Bank and Gaza Strip which are now the two most poor over populated areas of land on earth and are kept under regular sanctions for aid and relief by the Israelis.

Also the only war that Israel got into that America didn't originally know of was the Suez canal war and when America found out about it they did not approve and ordered an immediate withdrawal sort of showing that Israel was more of being used as a tool to place pressure on the Russians and Middle East then actually wanting to give them their own land which they could have done perfectly fine in the US or elsewhere since we have enough land its just that we wanted to put them in the most politically volatile area on earth for some reason.
Thank you, changing.
SORRY, EXTENDING POST!
Anyways, didn't know that, and am very happied you told me.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
I see a lot of people saying "get over it" but it's only been 10 years and it was a huge amount of people at the same time. The point is that it was an important location and it all happened at once. More people die from cancer and disease each year but we don't hear about it because it is spread out. We hear about 9/11 because it happened in one day and two major buildings that oversaw major parts of the country (and other countries) were destroyed. Granted even as an American I tend to get sick of hearing it because I didn't know anyone in it but that doesn't mean it is so much of a problem. Hell I heard about the anniversary of Princess Dianas death each year till her tenth anniversary in 2007 and it was only one woman in a car wreck, but it had importance to the British and it was a tragedy.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
From what I've seen in the UK, a lot of people still get upset about it but probably not to the extent Americans do. I've seen a few people post about it on Facebook...I personally never have because as sad as it made me feel, I didn't lose anyone that day so I wouldn't feel right acting like a victim.
I'm guessing the news will mention it, but I don't watch TV anymore so I don't know.

PieceOfEden

Sep 4, 2011
South Africa. The people I've talked to seems to have forgotten all about it. Maybe it's because we don't have extraordinarily good ties to the U.S? Barring a documentary about Iraq veterans and the horrors they faced airing last night, there hasnt been any mention of 9/11 or minutes of silence

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Well, speaking personally, as a person who has little to nothing to do with America, I see it as exactly what it is - something that has little to nothing to do with me. However, every time I hear the number of casualties/deaths - 3000 - I can't help but feel some scorn for the stupidity of our species. I am an atheist, you see, and any act of religious radicalism utterly disgusts me, since I view it as something completely depraved of meaning, no matter on what side you are. Whether it be Christian, Muslim, or otherwise, killing/hurting people for your religion, is the same as doing it for your imaginary friend - stupid and pointless. Just pointless deaths, and I hate things which lack meaning. I am not saying, that if there had been a "legitimate" reason behind the attacks, it would've made it better, but I am saying that at least it would've made some sense, and made it an ounce bearable. Plus, I've never approved of innocent deaths, no matter for what reason.

Cheshire the Cat said:
Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
- Yes, with that I do agree.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.
Same here. I mean, it was tragic and all, but so were the Chechen terror attacks in Russia or the Georgia incident a few years back or the Japan accident. You'd have to have enormous amount of empathy to care for all the people accidentally or intentionally killed all around the world and then you'd probably go crazy.
As I didn't know anyone involved with the 11.9. terror attack I didn't much care for it then and probably wouldn't have remembered it if it wasn't for all the threads about it.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
It was the wake-up call for America.

You are not all powerful.

You are not immune to the consequences of your actions.

Your civilians are not somehow sacred when you stomp across the world causing thousands of innocent deaths every week.

It was a terrible tragedy, but people act like it was an unprovoked attack. It was the consequence of decades of American interference in the Middle East.

Oh, and I wish our news outlets would stop going on about it. I want to know what is actually happening in the world, not what happened 10 years ago.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's disgusting. Old news, yeah, but not that.

I'm Australia we pretty much view it as an important world event. It's not the biggest thing to ever happen obviously (tho the way some Americans harp on about it still you'd think it is), but it is nonetheless an important historical event.
I guess because at the time, America was still the top dog in terms of just about everything and seemed untouchable.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care.

My sympathies of course go out to those who lost family and friends, but other than that? Nope. I don't care.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Bebus said:
It was the wake-up call for America.

You are not all powerful.

You are not immune to the consequences of your actions.

Your civilians are not somehow sacred when you stomp across the world causing thousands of innocent deaths every week.

It was a terrible tragedy, but people act like it was an unprovoked attack. It was the consequence of decades of American interference in the Middle East.

Oh, and I wish our news outlets would stop going on about it. I want to know what is actually happening in the world, not what happened 10 years ago.
this!

(me = czech republic / germany )

sixty times more innocent iraqi civilians died since the beginning of the little oil snatch they pulled there. i don't see any memorial services or even apologies for that.

of course any loss of innocent lives is a tragedy, but it makes me sick how much the attack on the wtc gets instrumentalized. and how well it works.