How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
British fella here....

It was a sad day on what would have been quite a normal one for me, I remember standing in the college canteen gawping up at the screen rather shocked. I remember seeing the first plane and putting it down to pilot error / malfunction - then the second plane hit and then a third plane hit the Pentagon.

When the towers finally fell, that's when it truly hit me in the guts. Six thousand or so innocent people died for what still is no good reason. It's just sick that a mind could contemplate doing it and I don't know what could possibly posses a man - let alone several - to do put those thoughts into action.

I do remember putting in a frantic e-mail or two to a chum of mine living in New York as I was fearing for her safety. Thankfully she was nowhere near the attacks.

In a way, I hope there really is a Hell for the likes of Osama Bin Laden. Where he will be getting fucked in the arse by the most hideous demons (with spined schlongs) in all of Hell while putting on American accents.

It's a shame the SEALs couldn't bring the fucker back to the States or Britain to stand trial where he would be so unpopular with the inmates - they won't bother shanking him just to make his life more miserable.

Dec 27, 2010
The Irish media make a big deal of it, but only because of the few relatives of Irish people that died in it, which f*cking disgusts me. All our media seems to do is put "the Irish man" in every important situation/ event in history.

Edit: Personally, it doesn't really concern me that much. Yeah, it's a terrible tragedy, but it didn't effect my life in anyway (except maybe being irritated by the "patriotic" idiots who have very little understanding of anything that goes on outside their country).

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Well let me put it this way. On 9/11 roughly 3,000 Americans were killed. However since the 2003 invasion of Iraq over 100,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed.

Take a wild guess which number has more impact to me.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Canada. We feel bad for those affected but we kinda feel you guys should just move on. It has been 10 years.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Mimsofthedawg said:
That doesn't even mention the fact that the whole American political, cultural, and societal landscape was literally forever changed by the course of the war. Not since the Vietnam War has there ever been a single event that altered the course of American, and arguably the world's, history.
Er...dissolution of the USSR?

superslyngel

Mar 30, 2011
From Denmark

Most of my friends and family remember "9/11" quite clear.
I believe what shocked us the most about it, was 2 things.

1) That people who would perform such a horrific act could go undetected.

and

2) How it made a nation most of us held in high regard, transform into somthing, that we can barely recognize anymore.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
It's one thing to not care, but I have a special piece of hate in my heart for people who think of it as meaningless. It really doesn't matter what country they were from, three thousand people died at once because a couple of sick fucks decided to get them involved in a conflict they had nothing to do with beyond being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyone who felt nothing towards that can come and claim a little piece of "Fuck you" from me in person. Tragedy is tragedy.

My only problem is that they made a damn holiday out of it.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Images said:
Its overuse in U.S. politics as almost a catchphrase is sickening.
<youtube=0YOh-rpvjYg>

I have to agree with you on that. Sure, it was a tragic event, but it's not the only tragic event in our history.

Then again, it may be hard for me to connect with this event, seeing as I was three, almost four, when it happened. Yet life will continue on. There's nothing we can do. It's in the past. We can mourn, sure, but acting as if this was the worst thing that happened to the WORLD is just...illogical.

I won't debate whether or not it changed many things in our country (Such as airports *RAGE*) but I can debate whether or not it's the worst thing to have ever happened.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
alias2" post="18.312280.12643320 said:
Anyone who cannot see the massive political and cultural implications of a terrorist attack on that scale, which prime purpose was the destroying of the 'West' is obviously an idiot.
Thankyou sir! I completely agree with you here. It isn't only about the loss of life that makes it important but what the attack on the 11th September 2001 respresents to our way of life.

I have come to accept that on this website many people tend to enjoy being 'different', so I half expected that a fair ammount of people on here would go on about how 9/11 wasn't that bad or that they didn't give a shit about it. Strangely enough half the people on the first page have proven that to be the case. I don't believe that people need to be crying their eye's out or waving flags or anything like that, I just think that its important to remember such an event and to be respectful.

In Britain, 9/11 (No one in Britain refers to it as 11/9, even though thats the correct way in this country) is pretty well respected as far as I'm aware. I always get the feeling, atleast in my area, that it's an attack not only on America but on Britain aswell. I know the 7/7 bombings are 'our thing' but I believe 9/11 has affected us as a country a great deal.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
I'm not American, but I viewed the September 11th attacks as a wake up call. When the bombings happened in London, I hoped the rest of the world opened their eyes too.

You can look at the event a few ways. It's a devastating attack that killed many innocent civilians in a country that is known for its security and military prowess. It's a sign that no matter how reputable a country is, every one is equally vulnerable. Whether people want to accept it or not, there are people out there with an aggressive hatred of the west. These same people would have no problems killing you or your family in cold blood if it meant furthering their extremist agenda.

So while some of you can say "Oh, it's no big deal" or "Get over it", the threat is still relevant. I only hope that these extremists don't blow up a building, public transportation, or anything that you or your family might use in your country. Just because your nation may not be a target now, doesn't mean your nation is safe in the future.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
It is tragic that 2000+ civilians died and that many families had lost loved ones, but it has been 10 years already. Why do people still remember it like a WW memorial day?

There have been worse tragedies in the world caused by either nature or war, which have caused more civilian deaths than 9/11. Frankly I'm actually sick of hearing about it. I think families who lost loved ones are the only ones who should mourn on that day.

I don't know about any other country, but hear in Australia we've got entire news stations reminding us 5 days prior that it would soon be the aniversary (again) for 9/11. -_-
I had sympathy for the families 10 freaking years ago, I just don't care anymore.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Mimsofthedawg said:
Treefingers said:
Cyrax987 said:
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
So because people don't know any of the 3000+ people killed, they shouldn't care and feel bad for those that lost their lives? I find it pretty distasteful that you don't think it wasn't a big deal considering it was a LOT of civilian deaths. Not trying to give you "This is 'Merica!" speech but seriously dude.

A lot of people were affected by it in a lot of emotional ways regardless of knowing any of the victims just like how Pearl Harbor affected the people that were alive when that happened. I'm sure other people feel the same for tragic attacks in their country as well.
On the topic of civilian deaths, this is how it's remembered by plenty of people i know:

Sad for the innocent lives lost... but there's also a lot of fucked up controversy that it comes with.
Many statistics that come up with these numbers, however, do not take into account two things: One, they do not seperate civilian casualities caused by coalition forces and insurgents.

Two: They do not compare or contrast the number of deaths under previous regimes (think millions), the estimated deaths had these regimes stayed in power (think, about the same as if not more than that bar), and the economic boom that has followed since the US invasion (hint: Iraq is quickly becoming a center for economic power in the middle east, already about twice as rich as it was under Saddam, and the same goes for Afghanistan).)

So to me, these statistics are a moot point.
Yeah of course, the situation for everyone all round could have been worse, but you're side-stepping the issue here, which is one about attitudes and viewpoints.

The point is, USA go on and on and on about being victims. Which they were, of course, but disproportionate to the suffering they've inflicted while using the 'victim' thing as an excuse.

Gothtasical

Apr 15, 2009
Im american and although i do care i see the need to get over it. I personally believe one of the major reasons we celebrated it as often as we did. Is because people didn't wanna keep up the war of terror. I know that sounds blunt however you need something to spark the fire in peoples hearts so that they will keep going. As well as the high threat of another attack seeing as we were still fighting them. So there's that, the fact that it happened so recently. It has happened pretty recently considering most things. Everything considering though i do see the politeness (even if you don't care when someone dies you pay a little respect) yes it was a while ago but it was a massive attack on the US and played a major event in the world. Seeing as to what happened afterwards. So basically i think we do need to get over it, yet still never forget such as we should never forget what happens to other countries. So... yea

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
am i by the way the only one to feel old when reading about all the kids who said they were 3 or 5 or whatever when it happened?^^

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
you mean the 11th of September 2001? when Antonio da Costa Santos, mayor of Campinas, Brazil was assassinated? Also the thousands of others that were killed in a military coup at the hands of General Pinochet which by the way was backed by the UK and the US?

Or did you mean something else? Point is, people die in war all the time, why the U.S still hasn't shut-up about it after 10 years I have no idea. We don't really care over in UK to answer your question.

Also it's 11/9 not 9/11, the U.S date system is wrong.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
It was a disaster and it happened 10 years ago.

If not for all the major political ramifications it caused, starting wars in the middle east and whatnot, as well as 'mericans CONSTANTLY REMINDING US, the majority of west Europe would have probably forgotten it in a few yours.

I'm all for paying respects, but really.....You people just go on and on with it.

You killed the badguy, destroyed the questionably 'evil' nation. You can move on now.

I would make a stab at how America itself probably caused more civilian casualties in the wars in the middle east, but I'm trying to stay civil

our regards

Holland

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
While America had one terrible day on 9/11 the middle east has suffered 10 years of constant war and death, yet no Americans pause to remember the innocents that died there. I'd imagine the rest of the world sees your tragedy exactly as you see the tragedy that is the middle east; with a distant indifference.

Takolin

Aug 21, 2011
Even though there's obligatory media attention in Belgium, no one I know actually cares or cared about the whole ordeal.